PDA

View Full Version : thats it im going dry

chewyjr15
11-25-2007, 20:09
15 dives out of OW cert and just finished my AOW cert. DID 6 dives this weekend and mid 50 degree water and im CCCCOOOOOLLLLLDDDD. saving up for a bare nex gen pro is this a good starter suit? also can i have scubatoys add external pockets?

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 20:16
BARE manufactures very good wet and dry suits.

FroggDVR
11-25-2007, 20:54
bare are nice suits.
Your gonna love being DRY:smiley20:

mm_dm
11-26-2007, 07:50
I don't know about the pockets, but that suit looks like an excellent value to me. I bought my drysuit after I DM'd a couple of checkout dives in December. The most memorable part of a dive with wetsuit in 50 something degree water is when that wet cold hits you where the good lord split you. It sounded like a group of young barn owls out there..."hooo! hooo!".

mwhities
11-26-2007, 08:10
15 dives out of OW cert and just finished my AOW cert. DID 6 dives this weekend and mid 50 degree water and im CCCCOOOOOLLLLLDDDD. saving up for a bare nex gen pro is this a good starter suit? also can i have scubatoys add external pockets?

I just purchased a BARE dry suit last month. I need to get a few things fixed on it (customized) but, by next month or Feb, I'll be dry.

Divingguy
11-26-2007, 10:08
Good choice, and enjoy it. I just ordered a Pinnacle Evo 2 last weekend.

BuzzF117
11-26-2007, 10:16
Frontzip or rearzip?

chewyjr15
11-26-2007, 10:17
well i want a front entry but i aints got the money to get a nice front entry and all the undergarments and the classes, plus the pocket, plus the pee valve! So im wanting to go with an entry level back entry dive it for a while and then invest in a high quality custom suit.

BuzzF117
11-26-2007, 10:20
pee valve schmee valve, Is this really a problem if your diving within recreational limits?

medicdiver
11-26-2007, 10:50
It could be nice if someone hydrates themselves to well and prepares for it before the dive.

mwhities
11-26-2007, 10:55
pee valve schmee valve, Is this really a problem if your diving within recreational limits?

I won't be using one and I'll be in rec limits. I only peed in my wet suit to keep myself warm. :) Never because I "had to".

Michael

Matt P
11-26-2007, 11:02
Good move on going dry. My dry suit is my single favorite piece of equipment. I love it.

I strongly recommend you take a class. I went dry very immediately after OW cert. I asked my LDS for a cert\class. They argued I didn't need the class, "Just go dive with it. You'll be fine." I was green enough and dumb enough to follow that advice. I had more than a few uncontrolled ascents. Fortunatley...amazingly...I was never injured.

Anyway - get the training - it's totally worth it. Good luck with your suit!

cummings66
11-26-2007, 11:44

Easily, yesterday I had to remove my drysuit to pee. I was properly hydrated which means I was peeing every couple hours and after 2 dives I had to get out of the suit.

Both were arguably recreational dives.

How many people can go half a day without peeing? Not many if they're hydrated correctly, or they have a medical problem which prevents urination.

If you find yourself able to go 4 hours or more then you had best start drinking some water because you're not hydrated.

I knew one guy who peed once a day, he claimed he was hydrated correctly, his definition. A cup of coffee morning noon and night. No other liquids. The lack of knowledge was appalling.

chewyjr15
11-26-2007, 12:26
can pockets be added after a suit is purchased? how is this done?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-26-2007, 14:44
For some (most?) types of dry suits I know you can add pockets. Basically you glue them on. I've never done it myself. Perhaps there is another thread that goes into it. I'm too lazy to check, but seems like it would be a common thing to want to do. If there's not another thread, I think it would be a good one to start.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 15:44
wish i could get a dry suit but thats to much $$$

Matt P
11-26-2007, 18:13
can pockets be added after a suit is purchased? how is this done?

Yes, they can. My dive shop attached thigh pockets. They also cut off the soft footies and replaced them with a sneaker-like sole called turbo soles. I love 'em.