PDA

View Full Version : Stickers on Tanks

mcc2318
11-25-2007, 20:45
I known some people like to put stickers on there tanks to decorate them does this do any damage to the tank and if you have them what kind do you have

terrillja
11-25-2007, 20:53
I known some people like to put stickers on there tanks to decorate them does this do any damage to the tank and if you have them what kind do you have

Doesn't damage the tanks, but for a shop to do a proper vis, they have to scrape the stickers off, so replacing them every year would tend to get annoying.

mike_s
11-26-2007, 10:01

It could potentially damage them.

The stickers could hold moisture or salt against the tank and could promote corrosion behind the sticker.

I think the general consenus is that it's best not to use them.

Some dive shops will give you a 'bunch of crap' for having them on there. Of course these are the same shops that will give you crap for not having a visual sticker andwill charge you $10 bucks for a visual and then put a sticker on your tank for it. go figure.

BuzzF117
11-26-2007, 10:21
Guy I dive with puts sticker on bottom of tank so he can identify his when they are laying down in the back of a van or truck!

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 12:17
thats what i was thinking of doing. My name wore off one of my tanks and had to check SN

ertechsg
11-26-2007, 12:23
I have a ST sticker on my tank the do my inspections so they can even put one on every year for me too

Specmac
11-29-2007, 10:06
If your going for identification, you might consider paint pens. Only problem with this is if you sell them later. Potential buyers might not like having your name or initials on the tank.

I just use paint pens and put a unique pattern on the neck and bottom instead of my name or initials.

cheebaweebie
11-29-2007, 12:44
Second on the paint pen. They put my initials on my steel tanks the first time I filled them and it still hasn't wore off. I also spray painted a T for my first name with a stencil that has worn off but you can still see it...

When you say they take the stickers off when they vis does this inlcude nitrox stickers ?

terrillja
11-29-2007, 12:47
When you say they take the stickers off when they vis does this inlcude nitrox stickers ?

Technically, they should, since there could be corrosion that the sticker is hiding. They should remove any stickers, mesh, boots, and loose paint to inspect them.

MBH
11-29-2007, 12:51
I use a paint pen to mark the MOD on my tanks. It will wipe right off with a rag and some PVC primer. (clear primer, not the purple stuff.)

quasimoto
12-02-2007, 13:10
I use a paint pen to mark the MOD on my tanks. It will wipe right off with a rag and some PVC primer. (clear primer, not the purple stuff.)

Interesting idea. Never head of it.

As for the stickers. All should come off for a visual but some shops don't complain about the Nitrox sticker. Of course it's not like they cost a small fortune.
Another option is to buy the tank hides, I think that is what they are called, outer cover. The system is two pieces. The inners are life savers, couple of beer companies, not sure what else. The outer cover is a clear heat shrink sleeve. Put whatever you want on the tank and use the sleeve. When visual time comes around then you simply cut the outer cover.

Bert
12-02-2007, 14:35
To remove stickes use a heat sorce IE heat gun, Hair drier, Torch. Just heat the sticker (move quickly if ysing torch/heat gun) until it loose use putty knife to lift an edge peal off. I used this when I worked at a marina to remove old boat license. If done correctly the base surface never get hot. To remove sticky residue from stickers use nailpolich remover, or rubbing alcohol

in_cavediver
12-02-2007, 15:45
To remove stickes use a heat sorce IE heat gun, Hair drier, Torch. Just heat the sticker (move quickly if ysing torch/heat gun) until it loose use putty knife to lift an edge peal off. I used this when I worked at a marina to remove old boat license. If done correctly the base surface never get hot. To remove sticky residue from stickers use nailpolich remover, or rubbing alcohol

Sorry but this is HORRID advice. NEVER TOUCH A TORCH to a tank. Its just to risky to change the metallurgy.

And, as a matter of regs, if you have evidence of heat damage, such as scorched metal or arc strikes, via CGA guidelines, the tank is condemned. CGA 6.1, section 4.4, 4.6 and 4.7 govern this for AL tanks. CGA 6, section 5.3.5 and 5.3.7 cover this for HP steel tanks.

Bert
12-04-2007, 04:55
In cave diver, point taken, I was speaking in general.
Question tho what does CGA stand for?

texdiveguy
12-04-2007, 07:50
Question tho what does CGA stand for?

Compressed Gas Association (http://www.cganet.com/)

BSea
12-04-2007, 08:02

Sorry but this is HORRID advice. NEVER TOUCH A TORCH to a tank. Its just to risky to change the metallurgy.

And, as a matter of regs, if you have evidence of heat damage, such as scorched metal or arc strikes, via CGA guidelines, the tank is condemned. CGA 6.1, section 4.4, 4.6 and 4.7 govern this for AL tanks. CGA 6, section 5.3.5 and 5.3.7 cover this for HP steel tanks.

Cavediver is absolutely right. Never heat a tank with a torch. There were several tanks that exploded after being powder coated then heat cured. This was many years ago in S FL I think. I read an article about it, but I don't recall the source.

Back to the subject of the thread: I put reflective tape on my tanks. It's only about 3/4 of an inch wide, but it makes my tank easy for my buddy to see in low light conditions. Plus, it makes my tanks easy to identify. I can replace it easily, and it's really cheap.

PsychDiver
12-04-2007, 08:15
Put all the stickers you want on a AL tank. Diving should be fun. It won't hurt the tank at all. Just be prepared to have some dive shops give you a hard time when filling and be prepared to put new ones on each year as they get stripped off for VIPS.

Bert
12-04-2007, 08:26
For the record I have never used a torch on a tank. I know heat soften the adhesive becuse I use that methods on boats to remove old license sticker, along with old bumperstickers off my used car I bought. But will keep all this in mind when I finally get my own tank..

in_cavediver
12-04-2007, 11:00
For the record I have never used a torch on a tank. I know heat soften the adhesive becuse I use that methods on boats to remove old license sticker, along with old bumperstickers off my used car I bought. But will keep all this in mind when I finally get my own tank..

No problem and don't sweat it. Tanks can be really dangerous given the HP gas and energy they contain. On non-sensitive items, your method is good.

Also as a point of clarification, the CGA regs I quoted are what hydro shops use for standards when they do the Visual Inspection portion of the 'hydro'. This is a DOT requirement and is not related to the 'Dive Shop Visual' done. (although dive shops should adhere to the same standards but its not law)

tarheeldiver
12-04-2007, 12:03
WD-40 works great for removing old sticker residue

cheebaweebie
12-04-2007, 16:13

Interesting idea. Never head of it.

As for the stickers. All should come off for a visual but some shops don't complain about the Nitrox sticker. Of course it's not like they cost a small fortune.
Another option is to buy the tank hides, I think that is what they are called, outer cover. The system is two pieces. The inners are life savers, couple of beer companies, not sure what else. The outer cover is a clear heat shrink sleeve. Put whatever you want on the tank and use the sleeve. When visual time comes around then you simply cut the outer cover.

My friend used these and after a few dives the plactic covers were all tore up. He took them off and left as is. Now, becuase he bought painted blue AL 100's, the paint is chipping and his tanks look like Hell.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 10:37
Paint Pen... either Initials or a symbol you recognize (for ease of selling) on the bottom of the tank. I always did a funky symbol.