PDA

View Full Version : Fixed D-Rings on a BC

Matt P
11-26-2007, 11:44
I've done some searching and cannot find a single jacket or back inflate BC that has fixed D rings on this hips. I (personally) find fixed D rings, especially on the hip, to be a huge advantage over the free-swinging rings. In 5mm gloves, low visibility & cold temps it is so much easier to snap my reel, SMB, SPG etc onto a fixed ring.

I currently dive a TransPac but would be just as happy diving something like a ScubaPro Knighthawk if it had fixed rings. Why doesn't it?

Maybe this is a question for the manufacturers? Is it really that difficult to build fixed hip D rings into standard jacket or back inflate BC. Is it cost? If so, why not make it an "upgraded" feature?

Zenagirl
11-26-2007, 12:29
Do you mean on the sides or front of the hips? Most of the Zeagles have fixed lower D-rings on the front part of the vest (in front of the weight pockets).

RonFrank
11-26-2007, 12:32
I have no idea what you mean by *fixed* D-Ring??

Matt P
11-26-2007, 13:17
Do you mean on the sides or front of the hips? Most of the Zeagles have fixed lower D-rings on the front part of the vest (in front of the weight pockets).

Yes, on the lower part of the front or hip. I've never actually seen a Zeagle BC in person although I know the Ranger has a strong following. If it is fixed then my congratulations to Zeagle. I'm just not clear on why others wouldn't do the same.

Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. But, this is actually a deal-breaker for me when buying a BC.

Matt P
11-26-2007, 13:23
I have no idea what you mean by *fixed* D-Ring??

This image shows a fixed (rigid) d ring. It is in fixed standing position b/c it is welded to a plate. This is different from the typical rings on the bottom of BCs which are sewn onto the BD using a piece of material. The benefit is that it is very easy to re-attach gear to a fixed ring with minimal effort.

http://www.diverite.com/.i/thumb_80_60/297.jpg

hychang
11-26-2007, 14:25
May I suggest that you take a look at the Zeagle Brigade that ST sells. There's a picture of it in the Men's BCDs section. Check it out as I believe it's what you're looking for.

Yes, on the lower part of the front or hip. I've never actually seen a Zeagle BC in person although I know the Ranger has a strong following. If it is fixed then my congratulations to Zeagle. I'm just not clear on why others wouldn't do the same.

Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. But, this is actually a deal-breaker for me when buying a BC.

ScubaToys Larry
11-26-2007, 14:39
No, the ones on the zeagles are all floating ones... He's after these: Dive Rite Rigid D-Rings, DIR and Technical, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Rigid D-Rings (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Dive_Rite_Rigid_D-Rings)

The problem is you need a piece of webbing where ever you want to put one of those, and there is no webbing on the hip. We could have a shoulder harness made for you with these instead of the stock bent ones - but I'm not sure where you would try to hip mount one.

Puffer Fish
11-26-2007, 15:34
No, the ones on the zeagles are all floating ones... He's after these: Dive Rite Rigid D-Rings, DIR and Technical, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Rigid D-Rings (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Dive_Rite_Rigid_D-Rings)

The problem is you need a piece of webbing where ever you want to put one of those, and there is no webbing on the hip. We could have a shoulder harness made for you with these instead of the stock bent ones - but I'm not sure where you would try to hip mount one.

I hate the idea of having one sticking out like that...I assume I will get stuck, or have it get wedged somewhere and at the very least, leave a bruise.

The clean lines still the easies way... and I have never had an issue, even with mittens on...

in_cavediver
11-26-2007, 17:29
Actually, I like the welded d-rings in some cases. It really depends on what you are doing though. I use one on the left side on my BP/Wing. I occasionally add one to the right side as well, generally when I carry a lot of reels or many stage/deco tanks.

That said, I don't know of any traditional BC's you could add that to, except maybe the zeagle tec-pac or DR trans-pac.

Matt P
11-26-2007, 17:58

That's closer to the heart of my question. But, it's still a custom solution. My question is more focused on why manufacturers don't actually provide this as a standard or optional feature built into jacket and back-inflate BC's. Many manufacturers offer the Air II integrated safe second as an optional feature. Why not the rigid lower D rings? I can imagine a number of different ways it could be built into a jacket or back inflate BC.

Maybe it's just a question of demand? It's important to me but I certainly do not constitute the entire diving public. Is anyone else out there interested in this a feature? Would you be willing to pay extra for it?

Zenagirl
11-26-2007, 20:59
Thanks for the explanation of the difference Larry. I never have a problem finding my D rings on my Zeagle, so no need for a "fixed" one.

mb104
11-26-2007, 21:11
Matt,
You have the same problem I had. I wanted fixed D-rings, not just on the hips, but also on the shoulder straps. There are some really heavy-duty D-rings for the shoulder straps that jut out and then drop down, so its easy to latch onto. My problem was that I had a Dive-Rite Transpac BC that would have taken forever to disassemble and reassemble with the D-rings I wanted. My solution was to get the Dive-Rite backplate/wing and thread the webbing using my own D-rings and not the ones that it came with. It was totally worth it. My local dive shop (http://www.tscscuba.com)did the work for me. :smiley20: I love the fact that I know the hip D-ring isn't flopping around; its always where its supposed to be. The new shoulder strap D-ring is only on my left strap, since the right strap has a quick release. The D-ring you showed in your post near the top is not the ones I used. I can't find the pics now, but there are bigger, heavier-duty D-rings that you might want to consider. If you want me to send you a pic, let me know and I'll take some shots in the next few days.

r2t
11-26-2007, 23:53
I converted my scubapro super hawk. took out the integrated weight pockets and threaded a standard weight belt with d rings on the hips. I’m very happy with this new set up. I guess it would be similar to the transpac now.

RonFrank
11-27-2007, 11:59
My question is more focused on why manufacturers don't actually provide this as a standard or optional feature built into jacket and back-inflate BC's.

I think the answer to your question is that most divers don't give a rip about Drings in general, and more specifically if they are fixed. I personally would not want a fixed dring. I never have an issue attaching STUFF.

Your looking at a technical solution on a recreational BC. There is very little demand in the rec diving world for fixed Drings.

Your solution is simple. Put fixed Drings on the Transpac weight belt. The transpac has two 2" drings on the waist belt already. SWOP those out for fixed Drings as Larry suggested. If you can weld, you could likely just tack the current drings to the retaining clip. Just don't destroy the belt in the process.

Matt P
11-27-2007, 15:42
I think the answer to your question is that most divers don't give a rip about Drings in general, and more specifically if they are fixed.Yep, that's the conclusion I had drawn. Obviously, it's important to me. But, as I stated earlier, it appears there's just not much demand for it from jacket & back-inflate consumers.