PDA

View Full Version : Suunto Mosquito battery

Scubakraut
11-26-2007, 14:00
Who has replaced the battery on a Mosquito? It is time after one year and 70+ dives to replace my battery. I'm debating of ordering the "kit" and replace the O-Ring too, or just put a slight layer of silicon back on the old one and get a new battery. Any thoughts?

Aussie
11-26-2007, 19:37
Who has replaced the battery on a Mosquito? It is time after one year and 70+ dives to replace my battery. I'm debating of ordering the "kit" and replace the O-Ring too, or just put a slight layer of silicon back on the old one and get a new battery. Any thoughts?

I would order the replacement o-ring and kit. I have seen a few people doing the cheap option and flooded their Mosquito the next dive.

Aussie

ladyfish
11-26-2007, 19:50
I have to say I'm one of the "cheapies". I've replaced my mosquito battery several times without replacing the o-ring. I inspect it and lube it properly. I'll probably replace it next time.

I am also one with the opinion that if it's still working with several bars on the battery indicator, I don't change the battery. If it's getting low on bars and I'm going on a big trip, I'll change it. Otherwise, I always carry spare batteries for all my computers.

But I also use my mosquito as my back-up, so it's not critical if it goes south (which is easy to fix with my extra batteries!)

Scubakraut
12-04-2007, 14:14
Just for peace of mind I have bought the Kit, it comes with a battery, O-Ring already on the new cover and greased plus a spacer.
I looked at my O-ring and it was real dirty and pulling it off the cover, I'm not sure if it might have stretched or maybe even got slightly damaged that is not visible. So I replaced the whole thing. Dropped it into a pool and was working properly.
If anyone has a Mosquito, here is a instruction video besides the written instruction in your manual:
YouTube - DIY Suunto Mosquito Battery Change (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgHhLdAhPY)

splicer
12-16-2007, 14:48
Do you know where you can purchased a replacement kit "with O ring"?

splicer
12-18-2007, 09:52
Well, I found a kit but does anyone know where to find a display cover that magnifies the data. One came with the computer when I purchased it, but I lost it.

teog
12-25-2007, 07:45
Just for peace of mind I have bought the Kit, it comes with a battery, O-Ring already on the new cover and greased plus a spacer.
I looked at my O-ring and it was real dirty and pulling it off the cover, I'm not sure if it might have stretched or maybe even got slightly damaged that is not visible. So I replaced the whole thing. Dropped it into a pool and was working properly.
If anyone has a Mosquito, here is a instruction video besides the written instruction in your manual:
YouTube - DIY Suunto Mosquito Battery Change (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgHhLdAhPY)

Great VID and thanks for sharing. Im sure Ill have to replace the battery in my new traded mosquito. I get it on Thursday.