Cichlid
07-22-2007, 17:23
I was thinking of getting a frequent flyer credit card. I figure I can
kill two birds with one stone if I use it to buy all my gear. My wife
already has some miles with United and we got an offer in the mail for
20,000 bonus miles. Any suggestions?

ScubaToys Larry
07-22-2007, 17:45
I fly everywhere on miles... I'm in the 11,000,000 mile club from American. The only problem is American is not that good for getting to the South Pacific. You have to trade off to other airlines, and sometimes their partners don't have seats unless you do it way in advance.

For example to use miles to get to Australia, I had to do Tahiti airlines and do a lay over in Tahiti for a day, then on to Sydney. On the way back I was on Qantas.

Going to Truk and Palau I had to route through Korea on Asiana airlines (awesome airline by the way!)

I have just picked up a Chase which does Continental miles as they are better for flights to places like Palau, Truk, etc.

jacewindu
07-23-2007, 17:05
11,000,000?! How?

Sure, I'd fly on miles if I had that many...

WaterRat
07-23-2007, 17:27
He probably buys inventory with his credit card. Ahh,I get to make Larry a profit and miles. Just my way of giving back. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-23-2007, 17:43
Inventory, electric bills, water bills, you name it... if it can go on a credit card, I'll run it. I'll get the miles, or points, and make sure it gets paid before the due date, so I never pay interest, but yet gain the miles.

tx.lakerat
07-23-2007, 19:37
if you donating Larry I'd like a "blue water trip"!!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

picxie
07-24-2007, 04:51
Inventory, electric bills, water bills, you name it... if it can go on a credit card, I'll run it. I'll get the miles, or points, and make sure it gets paid before the due date, so I never pay interest, but yet gain the miles.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I do this too. Or at least, sort of. I have no problems spending it and will put everything on I can to get the airpoints. It's the paying it off by the due date bit that I have problems with!!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gifI am getting better though. I don't have enough for an international flight yet, but I do have enough for the internal flight to get to the international flight!!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>

loudgonzo
07-30-2007, 15:28

Sounds like you might be gaining on a flat bottom too:)

Illini_Fan
07-30-2007, 15:42
Larry's post covered some of the things to consider -- there is a fairly robust discussion of all things miles with regards to credit cards over on FlyerTalk. This link should take you to the credit card forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=390

Some people make it an art to flip cards in order to keep getting the initial bonus, since many of us don't spend the same amount as Larry in any given year.

Some things to consider are your home airport and the routes you want to fly. Being based in DFW, AA is king despite their limited routes to OZ. You have to be creative to get the OneWorld partners to provide seats, but it can be done. You'd probably being flying out of PHX based upon your profile, so USAir / America Worst probably has the most flights -- but I can't speak to their international routes or partners.

Also consider the annual fee and how much you truly plan to spend on the card. Any interest you pay is going to kill the deal -- if you have credit card debt, it should not be on a mileage card as the interest rates are typically very high.

cutter77
07-31-2007, 00:41
Larry's post covered some of the things to consider -- there is a fairly robust discussion of all things miles with regards to credit cards over on FlyerTalk. This link should take you to the credit card forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=390

Some people make it an art to flip cards in order to keep getting the initial bonus, since many of us don't spend the same amount as Larry in any given year.

Some things to consider are your home airport and the routes you want to fly. Being based in DFW, AA is king despite their limited routes to OZ. You have to be creative to get the OneWorld partners to provide seats, but it can be done. You'd probably being flying out of PHX based upon your profile, so USAir / America Worst probably has the most flights -- but I can't speak to their international routes or partners.

Also consider the annual fee and how much you truly plan to spend on the card. Any interest you pay is going to kill the deal -- if you have credit card debt, it should not be on a mileage card as the interest rates are typically very high.

deepdiver47
07-31-2007, 07:05
I fly everywhere on miles... I'm in the 11,000,000 mile club from American. The only problem is American is not that good for getting to the South Pacific. You have to trade off to other airlines, and sometimes their partners don't have seats unless you do it way in advance.

For example to use miles to get to Australia, I had to do Tahiti airlines and do a lay over in Tahiti for a day, then on to Sydney. On the way back I was on Qantas.

Going to Truk and Palau I had to route through Korea on Asiana airlines (awesome airline by the way!)

I have just picked up a Chase which does Continental miles as they are better for flights to places like Palau, Truk, etc.

yes, Continental is my carrier (i live in houston). Guam is my gem. I fly business to Taiwan and China, on the way back I stop at Yap, Palau and finally Bali (just got back from Scuba Seraya last week). 25K miles will take you anywhere....

Willar
07-31-2007, 09:18
You should seriously consider a Chase Rewards or Capital One Miles card. Both allow you to earn points (or miles) on regular, everyday spending and then cash in for airfare, hotel, or CASH! If you want to use it for airfare, you buy the cheapest fare you can find, charge it to the card, then have it paid with your miles. It works out cheaper and much more flexible than airline-based cards, and you can fly ANY airline. You should still have the airline miles account for when you fly that airline.

I had an American Airline AAdvantage Mastercard which I flew several freebie flights on but cancelled it. Too many hassles, blackouts and restrictions, plus I could only fly AA routes which sometimes didn't go where I wanted, when I wanted.

That said, if you already have an AAdvantage miles account and can get the 20K bonus miles by signing up for the card, then do it! Take the miles, book your trip, then cancel the card later. I used it a couple of years and got a couple of flights out of it. I waited until they sent me a bill for the annual fee and cancelled the card because I didn't want to pay the big annual fee when the Chase or Capital One card is free.

There is an exception to this plan: If you spend so much on the credit card that you hit Chase or CapOne's points limit. They have a maximum earnings per year. If this is the case, you can switch between cards (have both) or use an airline miles card without limits.

TopSully
07-31-2007, 12:28
I second the recommendation for FlyerTalk. Great place to learn the ins and outs of any airline's frequent flyer program

Illini_Fan
07-31-2007, 12:40
Great Avatar Willar

Willar
07-31-2007, 22:16
Great Avatar Willar

Thanks! You too! Go ILLINI!

diversteve
08-01-2007, 00:28
I'd suggest getting a USAirways branded card. You get 20K points at signup and from here it's a good option since you can go to either Hawaii, Mexico or some Caribbean destinations through their Charlotte hub. I also received a free companion ticket soon after I received the card but it had a short expiration time.
There's a USAirways MC, Visa or Signature Visa available from different banks. From what I recall the Visa was the most points for the lowest annual fee. The Signature card is $90 annually. I don't think you can get a miles card without paying an annual fee of some sort.

And USAirways is a partner in the Star Alliance network which means a lot of overseas possibilities.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/travellers/index.html

Another trick is that you can board at any time no matter what ticket you're holding if you flash the card at the gate. Sometimes they announce it in the pre-boarding. Last time I flew from LAX, I asked as I boarded and was told it's a new benefit.

I also have the Citbank AAdvantage card so I build miles for the AA Caribbean destinations that USAir doesn't serve. But I've twice had to fly somewhere else to take advantage of it.

Travelnsj
08-01-2007, 23:40
I would also recommend the Chase United card....also Citi Bank for AA miles.....and one of my favorite is American Express and Membership Rewards....I have all these cards.....great benfits.

DPJ
08-02-2007, 18:41
Look at the cost of the card and the opportunities for Bonus Miles. I use a American Express Platinum Delta Sky Miles, I have charged closed to $50 grand this year, but have received over 120,000 miles, that was enough for two first class tickets to St. Lucia. The card has $135 fee, but comes with a free companion voucher. The voucher is worth double the cost for those coast to coast flights.

chinacat46
08-03-2007, 11:25
United is king in Denver so I use the United Chase card. Went to Bali biz class once. It was great getting there(direct flights) but getting back they routed me thru hell and it took a day and half to get back. But since I was going biz class got to use the nice lounges at all the airports.

jawfish
08-04-2007, 08:55
Great idea to get the card for miles but I suggest getting a couple and checking out what awards they give. Some are better than others and Amex even has one that simply gives you CASH.

Like Larry, pay anything and everything with your credit card, pay it off and collect those miles! Just watch the fine print, some cards have limits on miles, hence needing more than one.

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 18:29

Look at American Express Rewards.....they offer several airlines and you transfer the points to what ever Airlines you want within their system....Been to Palau 8 times on Continental FC...thanks AX:smiley20:

chinacat46
08-30-2007, 21:07
Scott does Am Ex have any black out dates like the airline's do?

ps: when do u leave for bali/wackytobi

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 21:38
Scott does Am Ex have any black out dates like the airline's do?

ps: when do u leave for bali/wackytobi

On AX you just transfer miles after you make reservations with the Airline, car etc you are going to use....I use this for Hilton, Starwood, Avis, Continental, Delta, Enterprise etc etc. United or American is not on the AX rewards.

Leave for Bali on Sept 25....when do you leave on your trip through out the Indo-Pacific region?

chinacat46
08-30-2007, 21:44
I'm leave for Townsville(1st stop) on Sept 30 return Nov 19. Does Am Ex have Singapore Air on their card?

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 22:05
I'm leave for Townsville(1st stop) on Sept 30 return Nov 19. Does Am Ex have Singapore Air on their card?

6 weeks?...Chuck...you need a JOB!....I assume you will be picking up e-mails on the road....I send you something from the room in Wakatobi...let you know how well it works.

No AX does not have Singapore Airline but Delta partners with them...after Lembeh and Raja in January....Three FC trips on Singapore in the Last Year....(the only way to fly)...and a total of about a week in Singapore at the Conrad Hilton.....Love those AX rewards:smiley20:

Travelnsj
08-30-2007, 22:10
How wrong I am Singapore is on AX rewards under Kris Flyer.

chinacat46
08-30-2007, 22:40
U said United wasn't under Am Ex not Sing Air but is United on? I know Sing Air and UAL are both members of Star Alliance. Since I'm out of Denver United is usually a good choice.

georoc01
08-31-2007, 09:00
I'm using my United miles to get to Sydney in December. I agree with China Cat. If you live in a hub city, it gives you the most options. All of my miles are on United and Frontier Airlines. Frontier is great for domestic travel, requiring only 15k for domestic vs 25k with the bigger guys. 25k to Mexico destinations like Cozumel.

Travelnsj
08-31-2007, 14:41
U said United wasn't under Am Ex not Sing Air but is United on? I know Sing Air and UAL are both members of Star Alliance. Since I'm out of Denver United is usually a good choice.

No United it not on AX but Singapore is as I found out last nite...it is under Kris Flyer their FF program....I have miles under AX, American and United....so one of those and their partners will cover the world.

Travelnsj
08-31-2007, 14:43
I'm using my United miles to get to Sydney in December. I agree with China Cat. If you live in a hub city, it gives you the most options. All of my miles are on United and Frontier Airlines. Frontier is great for domestic travel, requiring only 15k for domestic vs 25k with the bigger guys. 25k to Mexico destinations like Cozumel.

If you are headed to Downunder in December....try to hit Heron Island....good to a few Excellent dives....but the Island is one of the greatest spots I have been to.

BuzzGA
08-31-2007, 18:47
We had an airline branded card and it was nice...flew to Europe roundtrip first class all on miles but found that over time having only one airline to work with was limiting so changed to a card that gave travel points for any airline...it opens up so many more possibilities. And we put everything we can on the card and just pay it off at the end of the month...however, we are only dreaming about 11 million miles

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 19:20
check out spirit airlines, they have a credit card which gives you 20k points on sign up, it also get you free memebership into the 9 dollar fare club. plus they serve all of the caribbean area and cheaply. so you may want to check that out