PDA

View Full Version : New Menber form SOFLA (miami, kendall)

Black-Gorrilla
07-22-2007, 19:40
just saying hi to all here.
i love reading about anything i do... so here i am...

dmdoss
07-22-2007, 19:50
Welcome to ST.

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 20:01
Greeting and Welcome!
<DIV>You came to the right spot.</DIV>
<DIV>Lots of good forums with Questions and Answers on Diving.</DIV>
<DIV>And just fun topics too.</DIV>
<DIV>Miami/Kendall I am SO Jealous of you,just a short drive for you to some Excellent diving.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 22:25
welcome to the board

94GTStang
07-22-2007, 22:44
Welcome to the boards!

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 05:56
Greeting and Welcome!
<div>You came to the right spot.</div>
<div>Lots of good forums with Questions and Answers on Diving.</div>
<div>And just fun topics too.</div>
<div>Miami/Kendall I am SO Jealous of you,just a short drive for you to some Excellent diving.</div>
<div></div>

and it took me 20 years to get in the water... i hate my self for waiting that long.
i wanted to dive since i was like 16-17.. and took till i was 20 to get certified.

Moxie
07-23-2007, 08:26
Hello and welcome! There's a great crew around here, so dive right in.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Moxie</DIV>

kevinj1
07-23-2007, 20:53
welcome--at least you didnt wait forever. I know a couple of people who keep saying they are going to get certified, but just never take the time to do it.
<DIV></DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-25-2007, 18:15
i was gonna do private classes, and take a long time to get in to it beacause of cost for them, beacause i work every weekday after class... so im at LCB from 730 am (class from 8-1) then stay there for work, from 2-9... get home.. shower, read, tv whaterver, and sleep...
<DIV>i ended up having a free week during a break (closed school so no work for me either) and did it.. and glad i did. well worth it.</DIV>

Bill22
07-25-2007, 20:27
just saying hi to all here.
i love reading about anything i do... so here i am...

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I just joined also.... great group of people here. You're lucky being in Miami. The Keys are at your doorstephttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif I used to have to drive over six hours to get there http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif. Not complaining though, once I started Cavern Diving also, I was in a good spot in Orlando. It was about equal distance to everythinghttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

kevinj1
07-25-2007, 22:00
Bill, What is the best Cavern to dive near Orlando?
I heard Devils Den in Ocala is pretty nice.

Bill22
07-26-2007, 03:38
Bill, What is the best Cavern to dive near Orlando?
I heard Devils Den in Ocala is pretty nice.
Devils Den near Ocala, makes a nice basic cavern dive.... just further to drive. You'll take 75 up, and then go west on 27 towards Williston. Here's a link: http://www.devilsden.com/default.php

When I was there the best/closest to Orlando in my opinion was Blue Springs in Orange City. It's been a few years so best to check first. They were always talking about closing it to diving (a few people drowned there). An advanced cavern dive, due mainly to the depth. Also had to be careful because depending on time of day you will lose surface light at about 70-90 feet. If you go as deep as you can go, it's going to be around 115 feet depending on time of year. It goes deeper but the water coming out doesn't allow you to go deeper. This is the area people would get in trouble. People would try to swim through the flow and would be pushed up into a hollowed out area above the flow, get disoriented and not be able to find their way out. Invariably these were people, who a) did not have lights/ or only one light and b) did not run a safety line. My recommendation is not go deeper than 70 feet without proper training/equipment. If you check the bottom as your coming up sometimes you can find fossilized sharks teeth that have been washed up from greater depth (I found one once). At around 20 feet as I recall there is a side tunnel that you can follow in a short distance and it was full of catfish. There was a tree that had fallen across the entrance between 10 and 15 feet (depending on the water table) that was a convenient place to do a safety stop. Added bonus of manatees in the winter, although you are not allowed to dive with them now. Like I said at the beginning best to check first as it's been quite a few years since I dived there. Here's a link: http://www.floridastateparks.org/bluespring/default.cfm Hope this helps.

kevinj1
07-27-2007, 18:34
I replied to this post earlier, but I dont think it carried over from the other server.
Bill-thank you very much for all of this info. Blue Springs sounds intense and is somethig I want to look into for the future.

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 19:30
ever been to blue grotto?

Bill22
07-28-2007, 12:19
I replied to this post earlier, but I dont think it carried over from the other server.
Bill-thank you very much for all of this info. Blue Springs sounds intense and is somethig I want to look into for the future.

Yes... I enjoyed diving Blue Springs. I did Blue Springs probably a dozen times over the years that I was actively diving in Florida. Like I mentioned before I don't recommend going deeper than about 70 feet without the proper training/equipment. There is really only one way in and out, and people do dive without a safety line (just a light). If you didn't do something stupid (like try to swim across the flow which is really strong near the bottom) you would probably be okay, but I still don't recommend it. Don't forget that people have DROWNED in this cavern. I don't say that to scare you, just to impress how important it is to follow the rules. As long as you're doing that you'll have a great dive which I'm sure you'll enjoy. Try to hook up with a dive shop that teaches Cavern. I highly recommend that you get your Cavern Specialty. I actually recommend that for anyone diving in Florida, just because of the additional diving opportunities that it opens up. Enjoy! :-)

Black-Gorrilla
07-28-2007, 14:16
i really wish the day was better... i could not do my lake dive (just to be more comfortable in fresh water)
so im off to the beach for the weekend(does that make sense?)
i also got over 250 posts... so when i get the certificate i will have to place an order... and i doubt i can control myself.

kevinj1
07-28-2007, 19:59

Yes... I enjoyed diving Blue Springs. I did Blue Springs probably a dozen times over the years that I was actively diving in Florida. Like I mentioned before I don't recommend going deeper than about 70 feet without the proper training/equipment. There is really only one way in and out, and people do dive without a safety line (just a light). If you didn't do something stupid (like try to swim across the flow which is really strong near the bottom) you would probably be okay, but I still don't recommend it. Don't forget that people have DROWNED in this cavern. I don't say that to scare you, just to impress how important it is to follow the rules. As long as you're doing that you'll have a great dive which I'm sure you'll enjoy. Try to hook up with a dive shop that teaches Cavern. I highly recommend that you get your Cavern Specialty. I actually recommend that for anyone diving in Florida, just because of the additional diving opportunities that it opens up. Enjoy! :-)

I am definetely looking to get my cavern certification. I might need your opinion on any loal dive shops you prefer in the area.