PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Failure

rach
11-27-2007, 14:33
I was thinking to myself "wow, scuba gear is so great...it's so durable that it lasts for years and years!"...which is true, and I hope I never am forced to replace anything due to failure underwater. Has anyone ever had equipment fail on a dive? Care to share your story? (hopefully with a happy ending!)

WV Diver
11-27-2007, 14:59
My son did a giant stride off of a boat in the Keys with a rental BCD and as soon as he hit the water the LP inflater valve broke and he had to switch it out before we could do the dive. Other than that I am keeping my fingers crossed.

DivingCRNA
11-27-2007, 15:29
My wife's regulator, which had just been serviced, became very hard to breath at 100 feet at Punta Sur and she had to do a CESA and, in addition to the dangers of a rapid surface from that depth, missed diving The Devil's Throat and did not get to see the cross in the Cathedral Room before it was washed out weeks later by a hurricane.

I have had regulators free flow twice on the surface before a dive and had to switch them out before I could make the dive. Once my intermediate pressure was climbing in my first stage, the second time I think both second stages were maladjusted during servicing (but this is currently being resolved).

My buddy had a burst disk go on a tank during a pre-dive fill and had to buy a new valve because burst disks were not available for his J-valves anymore. (This was in 2007...)

I guess that is it.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-27-2007, 16:31
Buddy had BC inflator valve malfunction. Button fell off and it started spewing air out into the water. Could have been an "issue" but we handled it just fine.

Puffer Fish
11-27-2007, 16:43
My wife's regulator, which had just been serviced, became very hard to breath at 100 feet at Punta Sur and she had to do a CESA and, in addition to the dangers of a rapid surface from that depth, missed diving The Devil's Throat and did not get to see the cross in the Cathedral Room before it was washed out weeks later by a hurricane.

I have had regulators free flow twice on the surface before a dive and had to switch them out before I could make the dive. Once my intermediate pressure was climbing in my first stage, the second time I think both second stages were maladjusted during servicing (but this is currently being resolved).

My buddy had a burst disk go on a tank during a pre-dive fill and had to buy a new valve because burst disks were not available for his J-valves anymore. (This was in 2007...)

I guess that is it.

Ok, your equipment events are pretty major...(well the burst disk should have been expected with a J valve.

In your wife's case... CESA? where was her buddy? Her octo? Not a good event. Yours, someone needs to have a hard talk to the repair people.. and the operator (checking things before diving)..

cheebaweebie
11-27-2007, 16:56
It is is my opinion that a dive or day of diving with no broken or damaged gear is a good day. Something always gets bruised or broken from getting banged around the boat, stepped on etc...
I had a tank fall on my mask (favorite mask) in the keys and break the side clip which I have to this day not been able to fix. and had to go buy a new one when we were back at the marina getting our tanks filled during lunch. This bacuase my buddy did not strap the tanks back down when switching out his tanks for a full one. Also I broke the muzzle piece on my speargun becuse I fired into a hole after a grouper, the shaft was not quite out of the muzzle piece and the current pushed me off to the side causing the shaft of my gun to bend and break the enclosed muzzle piece. fin straps break, Sprear shaft shock lines get cut due to rocks, tips bend, gloves rip or come apart at the seems, wetsuits get scrapes and cuts due to rocks, geat gets mysteriously misplaced (lost a glove on my last dive 2 weeks ago). When you spearfish or hunt for stonies etc...when diving vs. photography or sight seeing much more abuse to your gear happens.
Oh well. at the cost of doing something we love right...

Zenagirl
11-27-2007, 17:12
After a service and during a safety stop, my hose disconnected from my primary reg. The hose whipped around hitting me multiple times in the head and face (not fun) draining the tank of around 800psi in about 45 seconds. Buddy immediately came to me, as did a safety diver who was in the water, and I was able to complete my safety stop and return to the boat on an octo safely. Once on board, it was found that my octo hose was also loose.

Other info: Even though we did a pool equipment check-out dive 2 weeks prior to the trip, I never noticed the hoses were loose.

When my hose came off underwater, I could have breathed off my octo for at least a couple of breaths, but chose instead to wait for my buddy as I saw him coming at me and with my tank emptying so rapidly, felt it was safer to manage the emergency by getting on a reliable air source.

I could have done a CESA since I was only at 15', but I was hanging onto the mooring line and had just done a 55 minute dive to 65' and with my buddy only 15 seconds away, it made more sense to choose to wait for air.

Lessons learned: ALL hoses will be checked for tightness prior to ANY dives and all trips. Air sharing drills are practiced regularly.

Oh yeah, and when I called the shop that had serviced my regs prior to the trip, the owner made everything right for me. I'm happy with how I was treated and will continue to have them service my equipment.

Splitlip
11-27-2007, 17:21
Watched a lady lose a second stage the other day.

I have ritual I go through when I set my gear up that includes torquing every nut and threaded conection.

Only malfunctions that ever happened to me were a couple computer failures.

DivingCRNA
11-27-2007, 19:29

I guess that is it.

Ok, your equipment events are pretty major...(well the burst disk should have been expected with a J valve.

In your wife's case... CESA? where was her buddy? Her octo? Not a good event. Yours, someone needs to have a hard talk to the repair people.. and the operator (checking things before diving)..

You know, it actually was not a CESA, after all. I was typing in a hurry. I was her buddy. She pointed to her reg and gave a "so-so" sign. I pointed to her, to me and thumbed up. She said no and then went to the DM and dragged him to the surface by his octo. It turned out she "didn't want to ruin my dive". I did not surface b/c I did not want the DM to have to worry about one more diver popping up from 100 feet, but worried the whole rest of the dive. Wife and I talked about dive priorities after that and I made it known that anyone can call any dive at any time and I will NOT be upset. I would actually prefer it.

My regs-SCUBAtoys is working on making it right. I have emailed Joe and Larry. They are pretty new Zeagles and ought to work every time.

in_cavediver
11-27-2007, 19:39
Things fail, usually when you least want them too!

I've had, or seen personally all of the following

1) Blown Burst disc underwater on a diver coming out of a cave. (not me)
2) 2nd stage falling off the end of the hose. The threads simply were stripped on the hose. Its still sitting somewhere near the Sandusky in Lake Michigan.
3) O-rings: DIN, Yoke, Din coverter, Lights, pretty much everywhere an o-ring is
4) Stuck inflator - many of those
5) Bad Dry suit zipper. Have one now going off to get replaced
6) Lost Test Tube on halogen can light (sold that one after the 2nd tube)
7) Torn drysuit seals, wrist and neck
8) Free flowing regs - many
9) Wing/Inflator hose. The pull dump simply fell apart underwater. The diver was in a drysuit with doubles/deco fortunately over a hard bottom but the ascent was hilarious.

If you dive enough, you'll eventually see this stuff. Gear is good but its not perfect.

navyhmc
11-27-2007, 19:48
My son did a giant stride off of a boat in the Keys with a rental BCD and as soon as he hit the water the LP inflater valve broke and he had to switch it out before we could do the dive. Other than that I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Sounds like a cruise dive I did. The BC inflator had a slow leak so Ijust discontected the inflator and went on with the dive.

Puffer Fish
11-27-2007, 20:15
Things fail, usually when you least want them too!

I've had, or seen personally all of the following

1) Blown Burst disc underwater on a diver coming out of a cave. (not me)
2) 2nd stage falling off the end of the hose. The threads simply were stripped on the hose. Its still sitting somewhere near the Sandusky in Lake Michigan.
3) O-rings: DIN, Yoke, Din coverter, Lights, pretty much everywhere an o-ring is
4) Stuck inflator - many of those
5) Bad Dry suit zipper. Have one now going off to get replaced
6) Lost Test Tube on halogen can light (sold that one after the 2nd tube)
7) Torn drysuit seals, wrist and neck
8) Free flowing regs - many
9) Wing/Inflator hose. The pull dump simply fell apart underwater. The diver was in a drysuit with doubles/deco fortunately over a hard bottom but the ascent was hilarious.

If you dive enough, you'll eventually see this stuff. Gear is good but its not perfect.
I think you have that correct, my list would be several pages.. which is why I have backups for everything...and sometimes backups for the backups.