PDA

View Full Version : VERY amateur photographer...

rach
11-27-2007, 14:57
I'm incredibly new to the world of underwater photography and have valued all the advice on these threads! I'm trying to practice one thing at a time; remembering all the techniques at once just seems overwhelming....So now I try and get as close to my subject as possible and get a clear shot of at least one if not both eyes. I wish there was more of a chance to get "under" any subject I try to shoot (with the camera!), but unfortunately those fish just can't stay still!

What else should I focus on while diving with the camera?????

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/kurachel/Dominica/facebook.jpg

And I really tried to shoot from under....there was no way without knocking stuff around!!

Scubakraut
11-27-2007, 17:14
pretty neat! I like it. Where did you take this one?
Keep practicing your buoyancy and stay still to hover around one spot for a while.

rach
11-27-2007, 18:27
pretty neat! I like it. Where did you take this one?
Keep practicing your buoyancy and stay still to hover around one spot for a while.

thanks! this was taken on sunday at Toucari Reef in northern Dominica....hope I can find it again because it's easier to get photos of than fish!

navyhmc
11-27-2007, 19:04
Amateur or not, I like the photo. That's some good detail on the seahorse. 8.7 in my book.:smiley20:

Cheddarchick
11-27-2007, 20:19
Love the seahorse....Good colors, nice composition

Puffer Fish
11-27-2007, 21:13
I'm incredibly new to the world of underwater photography and have valued all the advice on these threads! I'm trying to practice one thing at a time; remembering all the techniques at once just seems overwhelming....So now I try and get as close to my subject as possible and get a clear shot of at least one if not both eyes. I wish there was more of a chance to get "under" any subject I try to shoot (with the camera!), but unfortunately those fish just can't stay still!

What else should I focus on while diving with the camera?????

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/kurachel/Dominica/facebook.jpg

And I really tried to shoot from under....there was no way without knocking stuff around!!

Ok, lets see if I can be nice (not my nature, by the way.. caring, yes.. but blunt).

First, the composition is really nice... you did good.

The lighting is not so good.

The focus is not so good.

The depth of field is not so good.

I assume you were using the 150, which has manual... and some sort of strobe??

For this picture, the lighting has to come from lower and to the left side...and you need all the depth of field you can get... so make sure you are using the f5.6.

And try to focus on the important area, then center the image...

Good start...and I know some great photographers that lay on the bottom, just be careful to do it in a area where you don't damage anything.

rach
11-28-2007, 06:21
Ok, lets see if I can be nice (not my nature, by the way.. caring, yes.. but blunt).

For this picture, the lighting has to come from lower and to the left side...and you need all the depth of field you can get... so make sure you are using the f5.6.

Good start...and I know some great photographers that lay on the bottom, just be careful to do it in a area where you don't damage anything.

Thanks for all the info! I always try to lay on the bottom....just couldn't in this shot (didn't want to damage coral) :smiley20:

Like I said....I'm very new to this....what is f5.6 and the 150??

I've got a Sea & See 8000g with an attached strobe....the strobe has a lot of different settings (from min to max) and that's the extent of the camera functions I know (so maybe that's what I should focus on now! :smiley5:) With an attached strobe, how would you get light from below and still get a good angle for the shot?

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 06:35

Thanks for all the info! I always try to lay on the bottom....just couldn't in this shot (didn't want to damage coral) :smiley20:

Like I said....I'm very new to this....what is f5.6 and the 150??

I've got a Sea & See 8000g with an attached strobe....the strobe has a lot of different settings (from min to max) and that's the extent of the camera functions I know (so maybe that's what I should focus on now! :smiley5:) With an attached strobe, how would you get light from below and still get a good angle for the shot?
Lighting, with only one strobe is always a challenge..I've even resorted to turning the camera upside down (it is, after all, the 3D world down there). I find that easier to do by standing on my head, upside down (note: some regs don't like that position, so try it first, before just using it as a picture method).

F 5.6 and the 150 were refering to the only data I could find on a picture you had, using a sony, which only goes to f5.6. I have a thread over in the photo 101 on shutter speed/f-stops and such... with pictures... just go and take a look... then check what you have with the 8000g.

Focus on one spot, that is not the center of the image is something that takes some practice to do..and is best done on land first...

rach
11-28-2007, 13:59
ohhhhh....okay....thanks!

i'll try it out on land and the next time i hit the water hopefully there'll be some improvement! :smiley20:

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 15:38
ohhhhh....okay....thanks!

i'll try it out on land and the next time i hit the water hopefully there'll be some improvement! :smiley20:
Rach...I find (hate to admit this) that taking pictures UW, even if you know what you are trying to do, difficult. and after all these years, still mess up more than I do correctly. The darn stuff will not sit still, I try to get in just the right position, and manage to get 6 of the 7 things I was trying to do right, and one terrible wrong.

I notice all the really good ones I know, get in their own zone and are the worst buddies I have ever seen. You could die, and they would never notice...

So, I can either ignore the world around me.. and get great images, or have fun diving and try to take snapshots as I go by, and get some of them right.

I get some excellent shots, but I also get some real losers... case in point:

I was drifting when I saw two angle fish kissing... how odd.. and would that make a great picture... so.. a quickly get the camera up.. and just as I take it..

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/garinj/butterfly3.jpg

This was the second image.. as the first had the same butterfly fish (that one was at least centered)... so here we have a really bad picture...

Here, I wanted the exposure to show the fish and the background.. miss that one....

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/garinj/HoggFish1.jpg

So don't feel too bad, if you take a lot of questionable images..you will have to go some to reach the pile I already have.

jugglematt
12-11-2007, 02:25
Hello
when i shoot underwater im happy if i get 1 nice shot from a whole dive any extra is a bonus

when you find a great subject like the seahorse you did i invest in it . that means take time to compose the shot think about the lighting ( external strobe position, if you have one), try different angles , and camera settings , i would take a lot of images but try not to stress the subject ,

on a smallish subject i would use maximum f stop eg F8 for maximum depth of field.strobe on min and then dial up the power till the image looks well lit perhaps shutter speed 1/1000 sec would give a black backgound and seperate the subject . also is the camera in Macro mode ?

nice photo good start

regrads
Matt