PDA

View Full Version : Not a diver, yet

imported_Stingray
07-09-2007, 18:59
It's pretty easy. Most classes just take a few weekends, or a few nights a week for 2 or 3 weeks, then it's off for some diving!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just look for any dive shop in your area - they all do classes, and they'll fill you in on the gear you need. Normally just a mask, snorkel and fins to start - and divers use the fins with booties normally - so you'll need those too.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I got the Zoom Pack from Scubatoys - that's how I found out about this board. The Zoom fins are great!!</DIV>

panamax4
07-09-2007, 21:00
Where do you live? The best bet youll find for gear will most likely be right here at scubatoys.

Wolfie2012
07-09-2007, 21:48
How many lessons does it take?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Depends on the person. A lot of good instructors I've met will let you take as many pool sessions as it takes for you to feel comfortable with the required skills.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>

Is there a special training place i have to goto?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Look up your local dive shops in the phone book or online. Typically they will be affiliated with a training agency. Pay close attention to the attitude and personality of the instructors you meet.Complementing personalities will go a long way to helping you be comfortable during the learning process.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The typical roadmap to certification includes 3 sections: Written, Pool sessions, and checkout dives.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>

Do I need my own gear?
</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Most, including myself, would recommend getting at least the basic equipment to start out (Mask, fins, snorkel, booties). The rest of the equipment is usually provided for your training, and you will be able to rent it elsewhere for any dive trips you may take in the future.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Good luck in your training! :)</DIV>

frankc420
07-09-2007, 22:57
Well, if your willing to go to Carrolton, TX (the home of Scubatoys), you can take classes with them through NAUI.

They have most, if not all of the information your looking for on the site, here's a link for reference: Open Water Scuba Diver (http://www.scubatoys.com/training/ow.asp)

Price for their open water class is $249.95.

Here is an exert from their Open Water overview page:

Weekend Classes:

Completion of required Home Study and test. One weekend, Saturday and
Sunday 9am - 5pm takes care of the pool sections. Then the following
weekend we go to the lake. We have these scheduled almost every weekend
so call today to get scheduled!

You will do 4 dives during your checkout dives. 2 one day, 2 the next.

Hope this helps! Most places are priced somewhere near if not higher than the price Scubatoys offers training at. Just be sure your comfortable with whatever instructor is going to be training you. If he's a fast talker and your a slow learner (or want to learn at a slower pace), don't hesitate to ask them to slow down, or ask for another instructor all together!

Dive-aholic
07-09-2007, 23:16
I was wondering, what does it take to become a certified diver.
Here are some questions I have, if someone could help.

How many lessons does it take?
Is there a special training place i have to goto?
Do I need my own gear?

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Check out the websites of some various shops and independent instructors in your local area. Some will list a lot of that information there for you. If they don't, then give them a call and ask. For a reference you can check out the page I've placed on my site: Southwest Scuba Open Water Diver (http://www.southwestscuba.com/index.php?opti&#111;n=com_c&#111;ntent&task=view&id=97&Itemid=82). Some will have more, some will have less. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Good luck!</DIV>

highdesert
07-10-2007, 06:59
If you have more than one dive shop or group locally doing classes, check out two or three of them and see who gives you the most complete info, and who you kind of "connect" with. You might find some differences, and find one outfit you really prefer.

johlar
07-11-2007, 11:38
If you have the opportunity to meet the instructor before signing up I'd recommend it. Our OW instructor "made" the class for us. He was attentive, supportive and willing to help in anyway to make sure we were safe and enjoying the training.

Vercingetorix
07-11-2007, 11:49
I agree with HighDesert in that you need to find an LDS that you connect with. By way of example, I went to three (please note, I had no experience diving and limited snorkeling; I informed each LDS below of my lack of experience):
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>- LDS# 1tried to sell me a $1000 used/rental LadyHawke BCD (I'm a guy) and reg. He claimed this package was over $1400 new. I checked on-line for new; the guy was just flat lying to me. Besides, why would I buy $1000 in gear if I didn't know whether I'd like scuba?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>- LDS #2 sold me a $130 pair of Aqualung Blades II fins for a mere $100. These fins are huge I used them for all of five minutes. I found them for about $80 on-line.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>- LDS #3, 15 minutes from my house. The sales guy insisted that I buy nothing that day. He said I should go through OW and try different gear to determine what was best for me. He took time to explain what a BCD was and how to select a reg. He selected a reg (Atmos Aeris Pro) which was on sale for $200; but, he stated, "I will not sell this to you today". I took my classes from this LDS.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My wife gave me that reg for Christmas because she knew I'd be hooked on diving (my OW class was in January 07).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oh...the name of LDS #3...ScubaToys. The sales guy? Some guy named Joe; I would later learn that he owned the place.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-11-2007, 12:18
Your story does not surprise me one bit. There's a shop in my area (Chicago) that just tried to pressure me into buying everything. I'm not new to diving, so maybe that helped, but finding a dive shop you can trust is essential.

TAH 73
07-11-2007, 14:41
A few of the traiing agency's (let's not debte that here) actually suggest you buy all your gear prior to the start of the course so you train and get familiar with your stuff. I didn't take that route, and if I did I am sureI would have completely different stuff that I have now, and I am sure i wouln't be as comfortable.
<DIV>The only thing I have left from whenI was certified is my snorkel, anmy original mask is in my BC pocket as a backup mask.</DIV>
<DIV>Start of with the basic mask/fins and snorkel if you can get away with it rent a wetsuit because you willnever know how warm/cold you are going to need.</DIV>
<DIV>For example my fiancee is in a 7mil, with a hooded vest, 7 mil boots freezing and I am in a 5/4 suit with a 3 mil hood, 3 mil gloves keeping the back zip open because I am too hot.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

ertechsg
07-11-2007, 14:41
All you need to do is move to Dallas or near by and go to scuba toys shop. They have all the gear/pool /training you need.Then once you're hooked they have gear at afforadable prices. Moving to Texas$2000 OW CERT 249.95 LIVING NEAR SCUBA TOYSPRICELESS

johlar
07-11-2007, 18:24
When I first got into this sport I needed to purchase fins, mask and snorkel for the OW class.I went to the largest shop in the area and told the salerep I wanted entry level gear because I did not know if I'd be sticking with the sport. I'm old (54) and did not knowif the sport was something I'd enjoy.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The guy tried selling me top line equipment despite my request. The 2nd store walked me thru the process, explained everythingand sold me good, safe equipment.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Since then I've bought 3 full sets of equipment (wife, daughter and mine) from the 2nd store while the original has gone out of business. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>This sport can be expensive,some LDS's needs to learn to listen to their customers.</DIV>