PDA

View Full Version : Hood Advice

mitchy
11-27-2007, 16:29
New to the chat, so if this has already been mentioned then ignore it. I put several holes in my hood where my ears are. This allows water to enter this area easily and makes equalizing much easier. I just heated a nail, and poked the holes. It melts a perfect little hole with no loose ends.

cheebaweebie
11-27-2007, 16:41
Don't know if that was a such good idea. if you just put a little water in your hood as soon as you get in the water, you shouldn't have a problem equalizing. You ultimately want to reduce water transfer and movement which makes you cold. By poking holes, the warmed water in your hood (warmed by body heat) mixes with the colder outside water defeating the main purpose of the hood.

Puffer Fish
11-27-2007, 16:46
New to the chat, so if this has already been mentioned then ignore it. I put several holes in my hood where my ears are. This allows water to enter this area easily and makes equalizing much easier. I just heated a nail, and poked the holes. It melts a perfect little hole with no loose ends.

I have only done that on the top, if the hood did not have air vents..Welcome to the board, by the way.

Aussie
11-27-2007, 16:49

I have only done that on the top, if the hood did not have air vents..Welcome to the board, by the way.

Same here, I have one hole in the top. My henderson have one built into the hood. Welcom to the board also.

Aussie

thor
11-27-2007, 16:55
I have found that although adding water to the hood helps slightly with equalizing, it makes me much colder and causes my hood to balloon, even with air vents on the top. It also created mask problems for me due to the ballooning. I'm just a mess.

mitchy
11-27-2007, 17:03
Thanks for the welcomes! The holes are of finishing nail size, so I haven't noticed any cold water coming during the dive, and my dives since have been in the 59-63 degree range (welcome to Canada). I too have added a few it the top of my head to let out the odd bubble.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-27-2007, 17:32
Welcome, too.

I occasionally let water into my hood to help equalize even though I have a vent on the top. Don't really like that cold feeling but it goes away fast. Never thought of poking holes. Don't think I will, but interesting idea.

therealtreehugger
11-27-2007, 19:23
I have trouble with air accumulating in my hood, which screws up my buoyancy, then spills out occasionally, and lets more COLD water in. I do have holes on the top, but they don't seem to be helping much with the air bubble. On one hand, I don't have any trouble equalizing, but on the other, has anyone else had trouble with air from their reg getting in their hood? If so, what did you do about it?

Puffer Fish
11-27-2007, 19:29
I have trouble with air accumulating in my hood, which screws up my buoyancy, then spills out occasionally, and lets more COLD water in. I do have holes on the top, but they don't seem to be helping much with the air bubble. On one hand, I don't have any trouble equalizing, but on the other, has anyone else had trouble with air from their reg getting in their hood? If so, what did you do about it?
Welcome... yup I have that with every hood I have.. you have to be very careful where you put the holes...and their size... the heated nail works well. I have several hoods with vents, but the vents don't work.

navyhmc
11-27-2007, 19:37
As the rest have said: Welcome

I've never had a problem with equalizing with a hood on yet so I can't give a decent perspective on it save to say: If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

scubamike
11-27-2007, 22:07
I have the Henderson 3mm Hyperstretch hood and on my last dive I have realized I need to poke some holes on the top of the hood. Bubble gets trapped and it makes you look like a conehead.