PDA

View Full Version : I have GOT to try these fins...

mitsuguy
11-27-2007, 22:07
Aqualung Slingshot...

extremely cool theory, I just wonder how well it is in real life...

http://www.aqualung.com/images/products/slingshot_top_banner.jpg

http://www.aqualung.com/images/Slingshot_Slideshow.swf

BuzzGA
11-27-2007, 22:13
Those look too cool!

RoadRacer1978
11-27-2007, 22:20
Cool. If they work and the bands can be replaced then they might be on to something. Would like to see some tests and hear from some real users. They do look pretty cool though. :)

FishFood
11-27-2007, 22:23
Looks like a gimmick to me. I can't see how it would actually work. Well, I can see HOW, but I dont think it would.

mitsuguy
11-27-2007, 22:28
MSRP $219...

can't find anyone actually selling them yet...

mitsuguy
11-27-2007, 22:31
Looks like a gimmick to me. I can't see how it would actually work. Well, I can see HOW, but I dont think it would.

I don't know... most paddle style fins work on the basis that they flex some (or alot) in order to push water backwards... my Dacor DXD fins use the same type of flex to work well... however, whereas mine flex and use the flexibility of the plastic and rubber, these are a little more mechanical, and adjustable...

PsychDiver
11-27-2007, 23:11
They look to much like a gimmick to me. I will take a good pair of split fins anyday. But I have access to them at a local dive shop and will try them out in the pool this next week.

ScubaJW
11-28-2007, 11:08
Interesting! I am very curious about it!

Byte Me
11-28-2007, 11:24
I smell gimmick, but, if they could guarantee they'd make me as happy after a dive as the people in the demo I'd give them a try! Although it cold have been the drinks not the fins in the one picture...

msprzeor
11-29-2007, 04:13
They look to much like a gimmick to me. I will take a good pair of split fins anyday. But I have access to them at a local dive shop and will try them out in the pool this next week.

Keep us posted, who does't need an excuse to buy more gear!

MSilvia
11-29-2007, 07:19
I'd like to try them out too. It looks reasonable that they'd be good flutter kick fins, but I wonder how they respond to frog kicks, which is primarily what I use. My "Power Stroke" is in the opposite direction shown in the marketing slides.

kenmendes
11-29-2007, 08:08
Those look pretty cool. I am curious to read some reviews on them

floater
11-29-2007, 09:44
I don't really see the advantage over a normal fin of desired flexibility, except that you have 3 "gears" on these - assuming the flex system works, it should, in theory, be like having very flexible, medium and very stiff fins in one. But can you change "gear" in mid-water? Or do you have to choose what "gear" to use by changing the flexible bands between dives?

But I'm with MSilva one this one, I too use the frog kick, which is to say the bottom of the fin blade does the work, so the bands wouldn't work. And if I did want a flutter kick fin, I'd go with split fins or force fins instead. Can this design compete with split fins on the flutter kick?

CC1020
11-29-2007, 10:09
I don't really see the advantage over a normal fin of desired flexibility, except that you have 3 "gears" on these - assuming the flex system works, it should, in theory, be like having very flexible, medium and very stiff fins in one. But can you change "gear" in mid-water? Or do you have to choose what "gear" to use by changing the flexible bands between dives?

But I'm with MSilva one this one, I too use the frog kick, which is to say the bottom of the fin blade does the work, so the bands wouldn't work. And if I did want a flutter kick fin, I'd go with split fins or force fins instead. Can this design compete with split fins on the flutter kick?

I tried them when I was at a Thanksgiving get-together at my LDS. To answer your question, yes, you can change gears in mid-water. Also, the different settings DO make a big difference in the response of the fin. I use Atomic splits myself, and the most flexible setting felt rather similar to what I use. The stiffer setting felt like a paddle fin, and yes, they frog-kick just fine. They do have a very wide blade, especially on the larger size fin, that felt a bit awkward to me, but probably wouldn't feel that different to someone who uses JetFins already. I, too, was somewhat skeptical about the "gimmicky" bands, but I think these fins show some real promise. Granted, I was using them in a pool, so I couldn't really get going fast for very long, but they seemed to have very good propulsion, and would like to try them in open water.

mitsuguy
11-29-2007, 10:16

I tried them when I was at a Thanksgiving get-together at my LDS. To answer your question, yes, you can change gears in mid-water. Also, the different settings DO make a big difference in the response of the fin. I use Atomic splits myself, and the most flexible setting felt rather similar to what I use. The stiffer setting felt like a paddle fin, and yes, they frog-kick just fine. They do have a very wide blade, especially on the larger size fin, that felt a bit awkward to me, but probably wouldn't feel that different to someone who uses JetFins already. I, too, was somewhat skeptical about the "gimmicky" bands, but I think these fins show some real promise. Granted, I was using them in a pool, so I couldn't really get going fast for very long, but they seemed to have very good propulsion, and would like to try them in open water.

love it... too bad they are kinda pricey... that review is actually about what I expected after reading and seeing how they worked...

Chad
11-29-2007, 10:18
I just don't see how you can get more energy with the rubber bands. Looks to me like the rubber bands would decrease the efficiency of your kick. I would like to try them but I just don't see them working as advertised.

mitsuguy
11-29-2007, 10:28
I just don't see how you can get more energy with the rubber bands. Looks to me like the rubber bands would decrease the efficiency of your kick. I would like to try them but I just don't see them working as advertised.

all fins have some flexibility... some moreso than others... I don't know what kind of fin you have but it probably flexes a little... flex isn't a bad thing - flex determines how the water is pushed around and how much muscle strength is needed to push that water around...

if you were to compare two identical shaped paddles that had different flexibilities, you would find the stiffer ones more suited to someone who is stronger, and the more flexible ones suited to someone who may not be as strong, but have more aerobic fitness... of course, there could be a middle ground as well...

it seems this fin would allow for a choice to suit different diving conditions or maybe even how you feel right then (muscles a little sore, try the softer setting)

floater
11-29-2007, 14:45

I don't think the rubber(?) bands give you more efficiency over a fin of similar size and flexibility. But they do give you 3 different flexibility settings. For example, I find flexible fins easier to kick in some circumstances, but when fighting a current I prefer stiffer blades.

For each given person and dive conditions/equipment, there should exist some ideal theoretical fin. If you assume the flexibility of that ideal fin depends on the dive conditions, then this new aqualung fin with 3 gears should be a little closer to that ideal, all else equal, and could lead to efficiency gains, especially on dives or dive trips that cover a multitude of dive conditions.

tarheeldiver
11-29-2007, 17:14

I would like to try these my lds is a Aqualung dealer may have to check these out

WV Diver
11-29-2007, 17:26
I have only seen the ads for these. They seem a little too good to be true. Let me know what you think.

Kunk35
11-29-2007, 18:28
I think the engineers were sitting there wondering how they could make fins more costly, so they came up with this.:smiley11:

mm2002
12-02-2007, 18:38
I don't think three speeds are enough for maximum top speed and economy. They need a model with an overdrive.

scubajane
12-06-2007, 15:32
how about one with 4 wheel drive?? and a chauffeur ? no no I prefer to do the diving myself. all this info about fins and my head swirls. I need to get back into the water

CompuDude
12-06-2007, 17:13
I wouldn't want to wear it anywhere near line, with all those joints and protrusions, but I'd be curious to try it in open water conditions.

I, too, question how well it's going to work with a frog kick... or perhaps, a better way to state it would be: is there any point to this fin if you primarily frog kick?

UCFKnightDiver
01-08-2008, 13:10
hmm I do like the video though lol its not really that informative

mwhities
01-08-2008, 13:41
I think they will feel much like the Mares Volos; in which I don't care for. I sold them dirt cheap just to get rid of them.

BSea
01-08-2008, 16:54
I played with them in the pool along with some atomic split fins, some Aqua Lung blades, and my quattros. He's my 2Ę.

On the easy setting they still require more effort than the split fins. You can defenitely tell the difference between the easy setting & the harder settings. I was only swimming, no scuba, so I didn't do much frog kicking. Yes they frog kick fine. Probably not the best, but they worked for me in a limited test. I was more interested in comparing the feel of them to my quattros. I really didn't notice a snap from the bands, they are more just to adjust how stiff the blade was. I can't see changing the setting once you have the setting you like, but it was easy to do underwater without taking the fins off. Now I was in a shortie, so it may be a little harder in a drysuit.:)

All in all I liked the fins.

MxDiver
01-08-2008, 22:32
Not that I would lay out that kind of cash for fins but I would like to hear more about the technical aspects, the video just presents a basic overview

kancho
01-08-2008, 23:02
The ads in the Diving Magazines for this product has a couple they are from ecodivecenter in Culver City California. Nice people but slow when it comes to getting cert cards. It might of just been my instructor..

Lloyd De Jongh
01-12-2008, 11:23
From what I've gathered they are an attempt to improve the rebound of the fin, to lead to greater efficiency from each kick - which has been done by force Fins for ages now. It may be an acknowledgement of some of Bob Evans' concepts, but rather indirectly.

They do look very cool though. For the record, I use FF Pros.

Tom A
01-12-2008, 19:59
i looked at them at the LDS they said they are the hottest thing going

Mtrewyn
01-14-2008, 00:17
I am intrigued by the fact that the power comes from the middle of your foot not the toe (so the add says) I would think that it would cut down on the cramps in your calves, and shins.

Lloyd De Jongh
01-14-2008, 06:20
I am intrigued by the fact that the power comes from the middle of your foot not the toe (so the add says) I would think that it would cut down on the cramps in your calves, and shins.

It does reduce cramping, which is why the Force Fin foot pocket is designed the way it is.

These are a copy of Force Fins concept, just made to look hi-tech. I can't comment on its ultimate efficacy. The Force Fin uses the foot for propulsion, not the toes - as the foot pockets in other fins do. When you do that you use the larger and more powerful thigh muscles, increasing efficency and lowering air consumption etc. Using the toes stresses the weaker, smaller lower leg muscles.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-26-2008, 15:07
I want these fins wicked bad. They look so cool and I've heard some good things about them but I'm stuck in between them and the scuba pro jet max a friend of ours who owns a dive shop highly recommended those and said that he thought the slingshots were a gimmick.

mitsuguy
01-27-2008, 09:17
I want these fins wicked bad. They look so cool and I've heard some good things about them but I'm stuck in between them and the scuba pro jet max a friend of ours who owns a dive shop highly recommended those and said that he thought the slingshots were a gimmick.

I just recently found out an old friend is an instructor at a local dive shop... They carry Aqualung and Scubapro.... He said they mimic blade fins, but are, as advertised, adjustable stiffness.... He has some Scubapro twin jets and said he actually likes the Aqualung adjustables just as good, if not better...

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-27-2008, 09:24
Cool, the slingshots might be the way to go for me then...

ian
01-27-2008, 11:56
Excellent review. :smiley20:

I don't think the rubber(?) bands give you more efficiency over a fin of similar size and flexibility. But they do give you 3 different flexibility settings. For example, I find flexible fins easier to kick in some circumstances, but when fighting a current I prefer stiffer blades.

For each given person and dive conditions/equipment, there should exist some ideal theoretical fin. If you assume the flexibility of that ideal fin depends on the dive conditions, then this new aqualung fin with 3 gears should be a little closer to that ideal, all else equal, and could lead to efficiency gains, especially on dives or dive trips that cover a multitude of dive conditions.
This has got to be one of the most intelligent things Iíve ever seen in print regarding fins. THANK YOU!:smiley20: :smiley32:

I think the engineers were sitting there wondering how they could make fins more costly, so they came up with this.
Really? Well, I guess, if this was the goal, these engineers need to be fired. They missed by a mile! Take a look at the folding fins!:smiley5:

OMEGA Folding FLIP FINS $249 and that appears to be the street price, not the MSRP.

That appears to be spot on the money. I donít often get cramps in my calves or feet when diving but I havenít yet had one with the Sling Shots.

I managed to get my hands on a pair of these fins and had a handful of ocean dives on them. I normally dive with a pair of TUSA Tri-Ex fins. I do not like split fins. I have strong leg muscles and a strong kick. I easily over kick splits.

The Sling Shots are blade fins. The rubber bands allow the user to adjust the flexibility of the blade.

Number one setting Ė with the rubber band stretched the least Ė is a very comfortable setting that makes it very easy to kick. I found the effort necessary similar to one of the stiffer split fins. The difference was that I still move through the water with the Sling Shots.

Number three setting Ė with the rubber bands stretched the most Ė made for a fin with as much stiffness as my Tri-Exs. I can get moving faster than anyone else in the pack, but it is at a cost of effort and energy. There is also a very interesting rebound moment at the end of each stroke where the resistance drops to nothing as the foot changes direction and the rubber bands stretch. Then, there is a odd surge feeling as the rubber band retracts and the blade catches up to your foot movement. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but I quickly adapted to it. It came to be almost a massaging feeling.

I will say that, near the bottom, divers need to use a modified flutter kick. The amount of water being pushed off the toe of the fins is larger than anything else Iíve seen in the water. So much water is displaced that it actually stirs up the bottom to a larger degree than most other fins!

As far as the comment about using these fins around line, etc., I donít think this is really an issue. As a diver in Southern California, I dive in the kelp forests. The havenít got caught up in the kelp any more than any other fin of mine has.

One thing I would encourage people to do is actually LOOK at the fin and TOUCH the fin before making pronunciations about them based simply on photos in an ad.

CompuDude
02-01-2008, 17:56
As far as the comment about using these fins around line, etc., I donít think this is really an issue. As a diver in Southern California, I dive in the kelp forests. The havenít got caught up in the kelp any more than any other fin of mine has.

Kelp <> Line.

Kingpatzer
02-01-2008, 18:41
I tried them, I thought they were ok. I wasn't impressed, I wasn't put off. If I were looking for fins, I might consider them. Although, honestly, I think they're ugly, and I'd probably not get them for that reason.

I don't think they were better performing than other fins I've tried.

Tom A
02-01-2008, 21:10
lds here has them said with th bands you can adjust the stiffness

jeepbrew
02-02-2008, 02:44
These look pretty cool... especially if you can adjust the stiffness.

RoyN
02-04-2008, 10:37
Saw those at the shop the other day, looks really nice.

SarahBella
02-04-2008, 10:49
The look interesting but would seriously doubt they are good enough for me to pay to replace my current fins that work pretty well.

BSea
02-04-2008, 10:52
OK, I bought a pair. I had a GC from Christmas, and that helped. I was just getting tired of my green quattros. I'll still use the quattros when diving dry. The foot pockets aren't as big on the sling shots.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-04-2008, 18:48
Two of my brothers just bought a pair the other day, haven't tried them out in the water yet. The silicone power bands are cool though they seem a little flimsy to me (maybe it's just my imangination :smiley5:). They also feel kind of wierd on my foot out of the water, though that's probably just because they're longer and wider than what i'm currently using. I don't know, I'm not getting any chance to use them in the water soon.

abman
02-08-2008, 19:13
Well, i was looking for a "back-up" pair of fins for a trip to the channel islands next week. After trying them in the pool, my quatro's are now my back up fins!!! 2 seconds in the water and my messed up ankle was thanking me!!! Lot'sa power, easy to kick, great stability, can't say 1 thing bad. will have to see how they perform pushing a set of doubles,drysuit, camera, etc. so far....... love 'em:smiley20: the way the bands worked was a little wierd though- at the end of each kick i could hear a little "thunk", kinda sounded like my heartbeat. I CAN LIVE WITH THAT!!!!!!!!!!

KGNickl
02-09-2008, 11:11
If normal fins :smiley20: and split fins :smiley21: have worked for years why now do we need fins like this? Next there will be fins with motors built into them that paddle for you and have a throttle and brake attached to your BC.

I do however like the newer find I think omega makes them that I saw once that flip up so you can walk around with them on! Also heard good things from a shop about them.

NOTE: normal and split fins are both great, I just personally don't like split.

pyre24
02-19-2008, 23:53
I would like to hear more on them also. they look great.

MicahEW
02-20-2008, 00:04
I wouldnt mind trying them they look efficient. but simple is better nothing wrong with split or paddle fins for the price. any feedback on them?

elijahb
05-22-2008, 17:00
I think the main selling point for these fins for me would be the ability to adjust the stiffness of the fins mid dive

Madmax1997
05-23-2008, 09:28
My buddy at my LDS let me borrow these fins (he put one pair in location), they look cool and I was expecting something nice. I was a bit disappointed as I like stiffer fins.

I didn't like the feeling on ground but once in water the odd feeling disappear. I have the Cressi reaction for a year now and get use to it. Personnal choice and feeling as you get use to the material you buy or use.

I guess if you buy them and get use to them you would probably love them.
I will consider to buy these when the eng will put an electric motor on Ö. LOL :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

mjcoyne
06-17-2008, 13:57
I own these fins and I am new to diving so I dont really have a great deal of comparison to go off of of here but I really like them and you can actually change the resistance under water with ease - but then again if youre happy with the fins you have now I wouldnt really rush out to the store to pick these up.