PDA

View Full Version : Which Color Signal Tube?

TRACI
11-28-2007, 08:20
I am going to purchase a signal tube, is it a good idea to get the marker that is yellow on one side and orange on the other? I know that it depends on conditions, which color is more visable, so is the two color better to have so it could be used in any weather condition?

RoadRacer1978
11-28-2007, 08:23
I would think the two color would be more versatile. As you pointed out each color may be better in a different set of conditions. As long as you are not diving where a certain color has a specific meaning, then I would go with the 2 color model.

Heres a link where the Orange vs Yellow was discussed. You may find some good answers here.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/dir-tec-gear/6302-orange-smb-vs-yellow-smb.html

Navy OnStar
11-28-2007, 08:29
My wife and I each carry one. Hers is orange and mine is yellow. I did both because I felt one may be more visable that the other in different conditions. Looking back I probably would have gone for the half and half if I had seen it.

TRACI
11-28-2007, 08:41
I think I will probably end up getting the 2 color signal, and I also thought about getting the audible signal alert just for added precaution.

RoadRacer1978
11-28-2007, 08:51
It is better to be over prepared than under prepared when thing go bad. I would rather carry around an extra piece of gear and never need it than find myself unable to get anyones attention because I didn't have something.

dallasdivergirl
11-28-2007, 09:00
I carry a yellow/orange signal tube with my storm whistle attached. I need to get a signal mirror before the next dive season.

No Misses
11-28-2007, 09:39
I carry the orange SMB. If I am diving in low light conditions I will take a flashlight and strobe with me. For sound producing I carry a "Storm Whistle". I like the fact that as long as I am breathing, the whistle will work. Those tank powered horns are loud. But, they need tank pressure to operate. Once your tank gets below 100 PSI the sound drops off quickly.

I also carry a vinyl / fluorescent orange dive flag (10x12"). The wire stiffener is removed and a brass clip has been added. I can clip it to my lobster snare or spear gun and wave it high above my head. It takes up very little space in my lift bag pouch. Speaking of lift bags...mine is bright orange and can be used for signaling or providing additional buoyancy when needed.

A note about sound producing devices: always face the boat when signaling. Sound is directional. There is not much out there on the water that will reflect sound back. This will be a little distressing when you blow that ear splitting whistle and you don't hear it as loud as you did in the store. If you are in rough water, you should blow the whistle when you are on the crest of a wave. This will give you the best distance. If you do not know where the boat is, you should blow the whistle every time that you crest a wave. Try to turn 90 degrees for each successive toot (North, East, South, and West). If you have a good idea of where the boat is, focus your sound producing in that direction.

Wow, I am really starting to ramble…Here are some more scattered thoughts on the subject.

Carry signaling devices that are adequate for the dive location and conditions. A dive at the local quarry may not need all of signaling equipment that an open ocean dive in rough conditions would. For the latter I might carry an extra large SMB, strobe, signaling mirror, dye markers, flashlight, tank powered horn, and whistle.

Good luck! Remember to keep your head. The best piece of survival gear is located between your ears.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-28-2007, 10:06
Wow, I am really starting to ramble…Here are some more scattered thoughts on the subject.

Carry signaling devices that are adequate for the dive location and conditions. A dive at the local quarry may not need all of signaling equipment that an open ocean dive in rough conditions would. For the latter I might carry an extra large SMB, strobe, signaling mirror, dye markers, flashlight, tank powered horn, and whistle.

Good luck! Remember to keep your head. The best piece of survival gear is located between your ears.

Nice ramble. You got my ocean kit exactly right. For the quarry I leave the strobe and air horn at home.

My SMB is orange and has a pocket for whistle, etc.

Goober
11-29-2007, 17:16
In addition to a safety sausage and instead of a mirror...try a cd. Simply hold the disk shiny side away from you in one hand. Hold two fingers up on the other and place them so that you can see them through the hole in the disk. Face your target and look through the hole finding your fingers you'll be able to see when you are casting an incredibly bright spectrum of silver and other colors in the intended direction.:smiley20:

dannybot
11-29-2007, 21:33
Both colors, see link: Lost (And Found) At Sea - Scuba Diving Magazine (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/accessories/lost_and_found_at_sea)

aprilgoddess1987
11-30-2007, 12:05
I fiance jusy bought one for both of us that is orange on one side and yellow on the other

CompuDude
11-30-2007, 13:14
In addition to a safety sausage and instead of a mirror...try a cd. Simply hold the disk shiny side away from you in one hand. Hold two fingers up on the other and place them so that you can see them through the hole in the disk. Face your target and look through the hole finding your fingers you'll be able to see when you are casting an incredibly bright spectrum of silver and other colors in the intended direction.:smiley20:

Better than nothing, but testing has shown an inexpensive signal outperforms a CD by FAR. If you want a flashy signalling device, spend the $10 and get a proper signal mirror, IMO. The one sold by ScubaToys (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mirror), unfortunately, does not have a sighting hole, so I can't recommend it. I'd look at one like this (http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0044423517689a.shtml), instead... unless Larry can order a different one. :)

Lost (And Found) At Sea - Scuba Diving Magazine (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/accessories/lost_and_found_at_sea)

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-30-2007, 13:55
You might also find a signaling mirror at a souting or camping store

Fireplug
12-01-2007, 16:30
I took a CD on my recent trip to Key Largo. It lasted about 2 dives before it delaminated all of the silver stuff off and I wound up with a clear plastic disk. I found a nice signal mirror with the sight hole at Bass Pro shop. Recommend you try it out at home as the red sighting dot really does show on what you're aiming the sunbeam reflection at but it does take a little practice to catch on to how to aim it.

Matt P
12-01-2007, 17:46
Recently finished reading "Diver Down." One story included a diver who signaled a bot with her yellow fin. So...maybe an orange SMB and yellow fins? Just a thought.

I personally carry a 6' yellow marker which also has a strip of reflective tape so that it might be seen at night. My dive buddy carries one orange and one yellow.

tarheeldiver
12-01-2007, 17:58
I use a yellow and orange one plus a signal mirror

Matt P
12-01-2007, 21:19
I use a yellow and orange one plus a signal mirrorI asked Santa for a signal mirror this year. And, a Dive Alert. And, a new compass with an elastomeric wrist mount. And....:smiley1:

PsychDiver
12-02-2007, 08:01
Good article. I am going to measure my signaling device as I am not sure how tall it is. It is a basic orange tube model without any straps. You just hold it below the surface. After reading the article I think I may invest in a better setup. The combo of yellow and oranges looks good to me.

teog
12-23-2007, 20:41
I carry a yellow ss and a whistle in my bc.

wheelman
12-23-2007, 20:53
orange SMB and whistle, no signal device. something for the list.

wheelman
12-23-2007, 20:54
mirror that is

Duckydiver
12-24-2007, 21:49
I carry a DAN SMB, it has most of what I would like to carry
6 foot SMB with pouch at one end
signal mirror
storm whisle
Chem light with mounting sleeve at top of SMB
I got mine from the DAN website for $58 or so on sale

Oh yeah, just got the Dive Alert Plus For Cristmas,
I look foward to not using it.

whse56
12-25-2007, 18:30
Oceanic P.S.D. (love the virsatility) and a storm whistle, haven't gotten a mirror yet, probably should get one before next season. Hope I never have to use them, but it's cheap insurance.