PDA

View Full Version : How many of us change our computers to be more conservative?

Navy OnStar
11-28-2007, 08:21
I know there is the debate about which computers are more liberal/conservative and everyone has their own preference. I am wondering how many of us actually change the setting of the computer to actually reflect our current conditions. Do you do it before each day of diving or just once when you bought the computer, Never? Do you take into account alcohol consumption, dehydration, fitness level, recent illness, etc? Please be detailed as to how you set up your computer!

Thanks

OnStar

Navy OnStar
11-28-2007, 08:26
I have a Suunto Vytec and I have changed it a couple of times depending on temperature/difficulty of the dive and how I feel.

wheelman
11-28-2007, 08:31
I have a vyper and I make altitude adjustments mostly... I usually leave mine set on then the default personal setting but base that on dive conditions.

RoadRacer1978
11-28-2007, 08:33
Had to go with "Mmmmmm I Like Pie" for my choice. Since I still dive with guages and tables my only adjustments are in my dive plan and not in any settings. :) Maybe once I get a computer that will change, but not for now.

Zenagirl
11-28-2007, 08:41
I don't change the computer, instead I change my dive plan to be more conservative when necessary.

Chad
11-28-2007, 08:47
Never change my computer. It is overly conservative as it is so I don't mess with it.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-28-2007, 08:52
I make altitude adjustments. I don't make the personal adjustments. If I am not ready for a dive I don't make the dive.

TRACI
11-28-2007, 09:01
I have left mine on the factory settings to be conservative, I may change later on down the road if my dive levels change.

Grin
11-28-2007, 09:25
I turned all the alarms off on my computer. I set the PO2 to 1.4 and the display flashes if I go beyond that. I contemplated completely scraping the computer idea after my previous computer died. I finally decided to get the computer for a few reasons. I like the accent indicator and digital depth display. And I like to upload my dives the next day and see my true performance. That way I can not be guessing if I am doing what I think I should be doing and get real temps etc...
It seems everyone else in the world gets computer for all the other reasons. When you first start diving, the computer makes all that stuff a easy forgetaboutit. The problem is many end up not knowing "why" for anything.

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 09:34
Navy - don't change mine, if I decide to dive more conservatively (which happens from time to time), I just adjust my turnaround time. While I don't have a clue which one is "right", at least I am looking at the same set of data during and after each dive.

11-28-2007, 09:46
IMHO, diving Lake Tahoe warrants an altitude adjustment even if you are only diving tables. So you better believe I'd make the altitude adjustment on my computer instead of just trying to dive more conservatively. At Lake Jocassee I don't think it matters that much.

ReefHound
11-28-2007, 09:52
The only computer I change is the one inside my head.

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 10:15
IMHO, diving Lake Tahoe warrants an altitude adjustment even if you are only diving tables. So you better believe I'd make the altitude adjustment on my computer instead of just trying to dive more conservatively. At Lake Jocassee I don't think it matters that much.
You need one that does that automatically... really you do.. mine does.

RonFrank
11-28-2007, 11:29
DCS is not well understood. So how can one *judge* how to modify the computer?

One does not need to change the settings to change the conservatism. This is based on the display which varies between models. On my Aeris Atoms II, I have 8 bars, 5 in the Green, 2 in the Yellow, and 1 in the read. If I want to make my dive profile more conservative, I can choose to stay at shallower depths, and to start my ascent before I generally do.

Another method would be to dive Nitrox, and not change my computer from the air setting. I do NOT do this, or at least not on purpose!

I think some of this depends on how much one has been diving. As a new diver, I was VERY nervous if I ever went into the yellow. Since DCS is not an exact science, I worried that my body was more prone to it, and dove in a more conservative way. Now that I've been diving often, at altitude, at depth, in very cold water, in current.. etc... I generally don't mind if I go into the yellow one bar.

IMO, your are better off leaving the computer alone so you have an accurate gauge on how YOU dive, and what limits one is hitting. If you are constantly adjusting how the computer judges NDL's, how does one get a good feeling for what is or is not *normal*.

YMMY

11-28-2007, 11:50
You need one that does that automatically... really you do.. mine does.

I guess that's another strike against my Suunto. Manual altitude adjustments. Maybe I should find a computer with automatic nitrox adjustments too so I don't have to bother with checking my mix :smiley2:

navyhmc
11-28-2007, 12:55
Had to go with "Mmmmmm I Like Pie" for my choice. Since I still dive with guages and tables my only adjustments are in my dive plan and not in any settings. :) Maybe once I get a computer that will change, but not for now.

Ditto. my taste in pies is strawberry-rhubarb. mmmm.:icon_smile_approve:

tarheeldiver
11-28-2007, 17:06
only change when diving nitrox

texdiveguy
11-28-2007, 17:19
Nope.

in_cavediver
11-28-2007, 18:03
I guess that's another strike against my Suunto. Manual altitude adjustments. Maybe I should find a computer with automatic nitrox adjustments too so I don't have to bother with checking my mix :smiley2:

I found one that does just that. Its great, set you're desired PO2 and it make it for you on the fly! Its redundant computer and even moistens the breathing air too! Really gas efficent, uses only a couple 13cft tanks for a couple hour dive, at any depth you like! It does take a bit more effort to breath though. Kinda like a snorkel so its not really a high performance breather.

To bad I can't afford it. Its starts around $7500-$8000 with another $1000-$3000 in training.

medicdiver
11-28-2007, 18:49
only change when diving nitrox

I'm the same way. That is the only time I change settings. Well except when I switch to gauge mode.

CaribbeanDiver
11-28-2007, 18:57
what do you mean by change? the conservative/liberal settings for bottom time, turnaround pressure, max depth, gas mix, etc?
well, none of the above really fit, I change some of these settings frequently and others I rarely touch.
For example the gas mix is changed on almost every dive. And I change the max depth depending on the # of dives I have done that day and how many consecutive diving days I did or anticipate. Turnaround I pretty much leave alone because I keep that in my head but that could be changed on almost every dive but who wants to hear all those warning beeps?

Navy OnStar
11-28-2007, 19:20
what do you mean by change? the conservative/liberal settings for bottom time, turnaround pressure, max depth, gas mix, etc?
well, none of the above really fit, I change some of these settings frequently and others I rarely touch.
For example the gas mix is changed on almost every dive. And I change the max depth depending on the # of dives I have done that day and how many consecutive diving days I did or anticipate. Turnaround I pretty much leave alone because I keep that in my head but that could be changed on almost every dive but who wants to hear all those warning beeps?

I have a Suunto Vytec and there are a couple of settings I can change that have to do with my physical fitness etc. The computer then takes that into account and makes the dive profile more conservative. My computer right now is set to the most liberal settings but my wifes is set with a few of the physical factors a little more conservative. Since we are dive buddies we usually go off her profile. She does tend to use more air than me as well. I haven't really paid much attention to the differences in the numbers since we've only had the computers a couple of months and haven't done but a couple of dives on them. She has been changing the settings depending on how she feels that day or if the dive is difficult.

teog
12-25-2007, 16:17
I havent change mine either. I left it was the factory settings