PDA

View Full Version : what do you use? or Recommend?

Mtrewyn
11-28-2007, 11:32
There is a thread discussing the conservativeness of one dive computer vs others, and there seems to be alot of opinions that one is bad and another is better.

What do you use, What do you recommend?, What do you wish you had? and why?

I don't have one but am looking/thinking about getting one, and all the help I can get is great.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-28-2007, 12:07
I like Suunto. The other brands are just fine, too. Computers are not magic and following them is no guarantee you won't take a hit. Just like you shouldn't dive to the limits of the tables be careful about diving to the limits of your computer. Whatever you choose, ascending slowly is a good idea. Taking deep stops and longer safety stops than required is also a good idea.

CaribbeanDiver
11-28-2007, 13:57
I have used a Uwatec SmartCom and liked it; although, it is not very user friendly and is very conservation. I gave it to my son and I now use an Aeris AI which I like. The Aeris is not as conservative as the SmartCom but has some nice features, like the safety stop countdown, and is very user friendly.
Love that user friendly stuff, I would rather spend my time diving instead of trying to understand a user's manual.
Conservative or not, the key is leave a margin for safety. Check the tables and remember to be cautiously aware of the limits.
I use the computer mainly as a pressure gauge, depth gauge, bottom timer and that safety stop countdown timer. I do not push any bottom time because the computer says it is ok. I still check my tables on Every Dive.

Kabniel
11-28-2007, 14:08
Apeks Quantum, simple to use and switchable between 2 nitrox mixes

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 14:43
I have a Smartcom... with several tank sensors... and it is not a very user friendly system... but my backup and my wife have the Oceanic air integated (non-wireless)... that and the sherwood and Aries are wonderful to use...big.. easy to read.. tons of information...oh, and cheaper.. the Sherwood one that ST's sells is a deal

Mycroft
11-28-2007, 15:56
The first thing to do is to view one of what you are thinking of buying and determine if you can read the numbers on the thing! Most of the computers on the market have numbers that are just too blamed small to read.
So, I ended up buying an Uwatec Air Z O2 for my second computer, and eventually sold the first one. I like it and it suits my needs.

tarheeldiver
11-28-2007, 17:03
I use the oceanic veo 250 and my wife uses the aeris ai and I love my veo but the display on the ai is more user friendly

in_cavediver
11-28-2007, 18:08
Heres another piece of advice, play with the models your interested in and make sure its easy to find the information you want. On my old computer, a Genesis React, it takes repeated button pushes to get the max depth and elapsed time. A real PIA.

My wife and I have since switched to Delta-P VR3's and are very happy with them. Easy to see all of the information you want and the model is designed for the diving we do. No lockouts or 'gauge mode' if you violate its directions. It just keeps computing deco information based on where you are at and what you're doing. It even understands the different gases we use (multiple nitrox/trimix/o2). It is a bit pricey though at $1300ish

dannybot
11-28-2007, 20:15
I have a Gekko, lots of information, but hard to get through all the menus. It is nitrox compatible, and the face is lumenescent for night diving. lots of features at a reasonable price. My wife has an Aeris XR1, easy to use, less comprehensive log, slightly less conservative, no glowing face. EASY to use! cheap, not nitrox compatible. Pick what you want, how much you want to spend and what features are important.

FroggDVR
11-28-2007, 20:49
I have 2 different puters.
I use my Wisdom for anytime I am w/ students. It is very easy to use. 2 buttons thats it. Does nitrox. The log is very easy to get at.
For
My dives i have my Cochran EMC-20H. Great puter. 3 gases + He. No lockouts and can be programed for gass switches by depth and time. No buttons :) If I had to choose I take the Cochran

Mtrewyn
11-29-2007, 10:12
Thanks for the great input!!

Some of what I have read in some of the other threads seems to have some people saying that some are "bad" some are "good". Is this a Ford vs Chevy thing or is there a real reason that you feel that one is better than the other?

Marcus
11-29-2007, 10:49
I dive an Aeris XR-2 now and really like it. Only thing I dislike is that they make the connect to the computer WAY too expensive. Thing should be about 10 bucks, not 80 for a simple connection wire.

PsychDiver
11-29-2007, 16:51
I have a Suunto Cobra2 and an Oceanic VT3. I am still learning the Cobra and like most of the features. I am struggling with the electronic compass. what I don't like is that you turn the compass on and then it will switch back to dive mode after awhile. There may be a way to set it to stay on until you want to change it but I haven't gone into the manual that far yet. So if someone has, than I am open to how to do this. If it can't be done I will probably go back to a basic compass. I haven't noticed a great deal of difference between the two as far as bottom time, but then I have only been going shallow since I got the new Cobra. I will do somemore and let you know how these two compare.

Zenagirl
11-29-2007, 17:42
I guess I'm not reading the other thread with the same thoughts as you, that one is bad and another is better. To me people are discussing why they prefer one brand/type over another. You'll read the same kind of discussion about AI vs. non-AI computers.

You have to think about the features you want then make a decision about what level of conservativism you want.

clayton
11-29-2007, 19:00
i just got a sherwood wisdom 2 which i havent used yet but 2 great features are,Large number display for my fadeing vision and it is backlit for nite dives.
My previous puter was a sunto gekko and it works great but dial is getting smaller and no backlight. It is rough diveing over 40 and vision going lol..

Roughwater
11-30-2007, 02:03
I have an Atmos Aeris 2 (purchased from ST). Worked fine, but my first fresh water dive over 30m caused it to flood.

Had problems with warranty direct with Oceanic, but ST took care of me, and got it all organised! (Quite happy with the service indeed!)

Mine I think is no longer in service, but it seems to be more liberal than some of the others my mates have (such as the vyper - which is much more conservative with deco's etc).

PC interface could be a little better, but the wrist computer itself I find great!

n5kd
12-15-2007, 11:56
I also like Suunto. The cobra, for instance, Gives Depth, NDL time remaining, Airtime remaining, Air Pressure and Dive Time, all on a clear display at one time. Yes, it is conservative but I'd rather that than the opposite. However, any computer can fail and if you use an AI model you can be lost. I always dive with 2 computers and an analogue SPG.

snagel
12-15-2007, 12:55
I have the Genesis Resource Pro. It does what it should as far as a dive computer. What I don't like is that it does not date code your dives. What I mean is that if I go back through what has been logged it gets confusing as to what dive is what because it won't tell me the date. Seems like a minor thing that the programmers forgot. It also does not have any audible alarms - not a big issue.

If I was going to purchase a new computer I would get one that shows the date of the dive, possibly has audible alarms although not a big issue, and one that is more compact. I wear the Resource Pro in a wrist booty and it is faily big, would like something a little smaller.

S. Nagel

texdiveguy
12-15-2007, 13:49
Dive Rite Nitek Duos are a great dive computer.
SCUBA Diving Equipment and gear for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - NiTek Duo Computer (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/computers/computers/co8175)

Goober
12-15-2007, 14:18
My suunto vyper is user friendly once you figure it out:smiley2:

nlamere
12-16-2007, 20:34
I use a Mares M1, which I like a lot... and I'm now switching to the M2 console instead of the wrist watch (simply because I don't like to have something tied to my wrist)

It is fairely easy to use and read underwater, every info are displayed on 2 screen...

CODMAN
12-17-2007, 10:05
I like my Mares M2. here is what I like about it:
- Relatively cheap
- Decent sized caracters
- Does Nitrox
- Permanent backlight option, great for night diving
- User changeable batteries
- Conservative algorythm (RGBM)
- It does everything I need a computer to do for me.

There are many good computers out there. You need to figure out what you want, and then how much you want to spend. Chances are you'll find something right for you!:smiley20:

navyhmc
12-17-2007, 10:23
After looking around and comparing, I have my sights set on the Oceanic Geo here on ST. The only problem is the download cable is optional, not standard as the other high end Oceanics.

Duckydiver
12-18-2007, 20:46
I like my Suunto Gekko. No frills. easy to use. affordable, considerig what you get.

whse56
12-23-2007, 15:05
I have a Cobra2 and a Mosquito for a backup. Love the Cobra especially with the ability to download dive info (uses the same cable and software as the Mosquito). It is so handy to be able to look at the graph and see depth, air consumption, time,etc all on one screen. Only thing I don't like is I have trouble hearing the audible alarms. It's real handy to have the Mosquito for quick checking of depth and time. If I were to do it again I might go with the D9 and just live with one computer. Take care Randy

wheelman
12-23-2007, 15:28
Suunto vyper and download to dive manager.

teog
12-23-2007, 15:33
I realy like my dive rite nitek duo. It was my first dive computer. Super easy to understand and read.

skippy11
12-24-2007, 02:07
I am getting a sherwood Wisdom2 for christmas. i got to play w/ it for a little bit before I got caught and had to put it under the tree.