PDA

View Full Version : Resue diver- worth it?

ucrtwf
11-28-2007, 12:56
Hi All,
Anyone who's taken the PADI Rescue diver course care to say if it was worth it? I'm AOW, and just wondering if the class gives you a better in depth look at advanced diving.I also already have my CPR cert. I think eventually, I'd like to get to at least master, if not divemaster. For no other reason than to broaden my horizons.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

DivingCRNA
11-28-2007, 13:07
Hi All,
Anyone who's taken the PADI Rescue diver course care to say if it was worth it? I'm AOW, and just wondering if the class gives you a better in depth look at advanced diving.I also already have my CPR cert. I think eventually, I'd like to get to at least master, if not divemaster. For no other reason than to broaden my horizons.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Tim,

Master SCUBA Diver and Dive Master are two different paths. Dive Master is a professional path. Master SCUBA Diver, which I have, is kind of a recognition for collecting recreational certs (you get a nifty backpack, certificate, and poster!). Rescue is required for both paths.

Rescue does not teach you advanced diving as much as it teaches you how to rescue divers in different kinds of stress and injury. it also teaches thought processes and prioritizing.

That being said, Rescue was well worth it. It is required for DM, Master Diver, and the Tec certs, I believe.

I would advise that you take it.

Chad
11-28-2007, 13:11
I haven't taken any PADI classes but my NAUI rescue class was one of the best classes I have taken. I would assume that PADI is similar. Take it if you have the chance.

ucrtwf
11-28-2007, 13:34
Thanks guys,
I'm aware that the divemaster cert is geared towards the professional. I was just wondering what was next on my "to get" list.
Take care,
Tim

MSilvia
11-28-2007, 13:39
PADI rescue is one of the most valuable recreational classes I've taken. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

That said, if you're just looking to broaden your horizons, why not consider something more useful than PADI Master Diver (congratulations on your specialty classes, it doesn't teach you anything beyond what you learned in them), and more personally applicable than PADI Divemaster (geared toward those who want to guide and help others as a "pro").

There are excellent advanced classes in cavern and wreck diving that will teach you much more than a typical PADI specialty, as well as training in decompression diving, and blended gasses. The PADI advancement chart at your LDS doesn't show you all your options as a knowledge hungry diver, just the ones that they offer. Check out NAUI, TDI, IANTD, and GUE for some other popular training options.

Divingguy
11-28-2007, 13:41
Do it! I did it through NAUI, and Scubatoys, so I can not comment on PADI, but my course was VERY worthwhile, and laid the predicate for me to continue on up the food chain.

CaribbeanDiver
11-28-2007, 13:41
I am Rescue certified and working on Master Scuba Diver but not with PADI. I am NAUI Rescue Diver certified and working on NAUI Master Scuba Diver certification.
Diving CRNA is correct in that both are prerequisites for Dive Master. However, Master Scuba Diver in PADI is vastly different than Master Scuba Diver with NAUI. NAUI is an intense course as well as a required number of dives to prove certain skills. PADI only requires the completion of a set number of specialty courses.
Talk with Joe or Larry of ST Fame and get the full scoop but if you want thorough training for Master Scuba Diver, NAUI is the way to go.
Now to answer your question regarding Rescue Diver, PADI, NAUI, SSI, whatever, it is a good course to take in that it teaches not only the skills and thought process for rescue of others but also for self rescue.
It is worth it for sure but it probably would only increase your diving skills levels by a small margin because that is not the point of the course. Although, any dive training improves our skill level to some degree, large or small.

dallasdivergirl
11-28-2007, 13:44
I am on the "waiting" list to do rescue next year.

I prefer not to freeze to death out at the quarry.

Hopefully I will do my class in April.

Zenagirl
11-28-2007, 17:40
IMO Rescue is a "must" class for every diver. Doesn't matter which agency you choose as long as you do it!

texdiveguy
11-28-2007, 18:01
Pretty much a no-brainer...'take' the Rescue course if you can!

navyhmc
11-28-2007, 18:38
I'll agree with the pack: Take it!!!!

All divers should have it.

cummings66
11-28-2007, 19:22
Take it, should be a manditory class anyways IMO.

crosseyed95
11-28-2007, 19:25
I took rescue just because it was the next level (PADI). I'm now a DM and highly recommend rescue training for everyone. Keep in mind that the instructors have lots to do with what you learn. If taught correctly, you should feel extremely confident in your abilities should you need them.

medicdiver
11-28-2007, 22:10
Take the class!

cgvmer
11-28-2007, 22:11
I am OW planning on taking AOW so that I can do Rescue (AOW is a pre-req). I doing this for 2 reasons, the first is what has already been said here and other threads that the skills taught are worthwhile for all divers. 2 My local Y will let me dive in the pool (for skills practice) if a rescue diver is watching. So my son and I are working on the 2 classes together.

msprzeor
11-29-2007, 04:42
What they said! And make sure to practice those skills once in a while, we just did our IE and found a little practice goes a long way to staying sharp. Definately take it, and find a good instructor as well. Good luck on your path up the chain as well!

tarheeldiver
11-29-2007, 06:46
I need to get around to taking this class sounds intereting

scootermcfly
11-29-2007, 07:36
Now, I've been considering taking the rescue course and probably will next summer/spring time. My question is this, I am a respiratory therapist/nurse and my wife is a nurse; so we understand all of the CPR and related emergency training already. What else is involved in the class that I'll be learning about?

Scooter McFly

CC1020
11-29-2007, 10:14
I completed Rescue, and got my Master Diver rating, this summer, and I have to agree with the other posters who said that it was definitely the best class I have taken thus far. I highly recommend it!

Lake Diver
11-29-2007, 10:45
They should make rescue diver right after OW...I took SSI Stress & Rescue and had an awesome instructor....after taking the class, it makes you feel more comfortable in the water and dealing with problems, and "STRESS". It just puts you in those hairy situations, yet under supervision. Also you do some weird things with your scuba gear!! At least, this was my experience, can't speak for PADI or any other organization, or even another instructor!!!

It is DEFINITELY MORE than just CPR!

Clanggedin
11-29-2007, 23:22
I'm not even OW certified and I can't wait to take the Rescue Diver course. I have a friend that has the Rescue Diver DVD and I watch it at least twice a month while working.

After spending time with my father-in-law and hearing his diving stories. I am sure I may need to use what have learned in the DVD way before I take the class. I swear everytime he has gone diving he has spit his reg out and made an emergency ascent.

I told him I will never be his dive buddy.

msprzeor
11-30-2007, 00:09
Sounds like someone needs some additional training!

Roughwater
11-30-2007, 01:56
This course (unless you're doing it to progress to DM or something) is something that seems as though you don't do so much for yourself, but you do for others - but this ain't necesarily the case.

Funnily enough, I'm part way through mine at the moment. Done the theory, just need to finish off the prac - when I find myself in a situation with an AOC diver over 90 feet.

Unable to get anyone elses attention to help me I was on my own. Even with only the part training I had done, and theory I had read - I was quite glad from what I learnt already. The situation could have escilated far worse than it did!

Being in this sort of situation can get not only an OOC diver dead, but you also! Knowing what to do to help someone gives you some additional confidence, and could save your own life, as well as that of another diver.

I was far from handling it perfectly - but what I had studied so far certainly helped.

If you've got the opportunity to do it, from what I've done so far, I'd say go for it!

Hopefully you'll never have to use it, but it's nice to have a bit of extra knowledge incase you do!

dannybot
12-01-2007, 22:04
Now, I've been considering taking the rescue course and probably will next summer/spring time. My question is this, I am a respiratory therapist/nurse and my wife is a nurse; so we understand all of the CPR and related emergency training already. What else is involved in the class that I'll be learning about?

Scooter McFly

I, too am a nurse and found the class a bit basic, but must take into consideration that I have a lot of advanced training. It is pretty much first aid for the diver, where the focus is on dealing with treatment and prevention of accidents and injuries outside of a clinical setting. While I deal with emergencies daily, they are always in a controlled environment. I got to look at dealing with situations from a diffement perspective. It is good information for any diver, and i did learn from the class. Any education and chance to get in the water with an instructor to brush up on skills is good, since I only get to dive a few times a year.

DivingCRNA
12-02-2007, 07:42

Scooter McFly

I, too am a nurse and found the class a bit basic, but must take into consideration that I have a lot of advanced training. It is pretty much first aid for the diver, where the focus is on dealing with treatment and prevention of accidents and injuries outside of a clinical setting. While I deal with emergencies daily, they are always in a controlled environment. I got to look at dealing with situations from a diffement perspective. It is good information for any diver, and i did learn from the class. Any education and chance to get in the water with an instructor to brush up on skills is good, since I only get to dive a few times a year.

Yeah.... I am a CRNA and found some of their airway management advice to be poor, but it never works to argue with the instructor, so I let it go. All in all, Rescue is a GREAT class.

BTW-My first "Rescue" was after watching the Rescue part of the PADI Master Diver DVD, but before taking Rescue at all. It was a pre-dive over-stressed, wetsuit is too tight, semi-panic kind of deal. I just helped him to shore and out of his gear, but and least he did not descend like that.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 10:31
I am set to take PADI Rescue in April 08. Very excited, as my AOW was granted in 1994!!! Yikes... been a little long since I had some classes, except the refreshers I took of course.

WV Diver
12-09-2007, 11:29
I think everyone should continue their education to the level of Rescue. This is an important and fun class. It has lots of information that may come in very handy in your future. Especially if you have never had any other emergency training.

This is also a good place for a lot of divers to stop, except for specialties, unless you are planning to get into the professional levels. The best part of Rescue is that even if you don't plan to go further you will have it and be ready should you ever change your mind and want to continue on.

RonFrank
12-09-2007, 11:37
Hi All,
Thanks in advance,
Tim

Rescue diver is something all divers should pursue. It may not give you insights on advanced diving, but it give one valuable knowledge and skills that IMO should be mandatory for all divers.

Master dive is something I don't really think means a thing. There are some good training specialities, but a lot IMO are worthless. An example of a good class would be something like Drysuit for a new drysuit diver unsure of their skills even if I disagree with PADI's buoyancy approach (I use my BC NOT the suit). Boat diving would be rather worthless as one will pick up those skills after one trip, and why pay $100 to do so.

DiveMaster is something I've been considering, but it's a professional path. Once completed, then you can work with a shop, but you are also required to pay insurance. Most shops don't pick up that expense, so it's something to consider.