PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished Cameras?

TRACI
11-28-2007, 12:59
Has anyone ever had any luck purchasing a refurbished camera??

Byte Me
11-28-2007, 13:31

I bought our D50 from Cameta on ebay as a refurb. Our 32" LCD HD is a refurb from Philips outlet. Our 22" LCD HD in the kitchen is also a refurb from Philips.

I've got no issue with refurbs as long as they have warranty and are bought through an authorized outlet. My D50 looked new and actually I think the two kit lenses they included (18-55 and 70-300) were also refurbs. I've always had good luck with that kind of gear and it leave more money for either addl equipment or getting to places to enjoy and use your gear.

Fuji mall has some pretty good deals now on their cameras, except they're always out of the F31fd!!

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 13:36
How do you mean "refurbished"? I've not done a camera that way, but I have done it with a lot of other stuff.

Many times refurbished mean "returned", and there is nothing wrong with it.

Not much digital stuff is actually repaired, so most of the time, the stuff is the same as new.

However, there could be a hidden problem, and it did not get identified and it gets passed off to you.

Many times if it is bad, you are stuck with it. So it is a risk/reward issue. Say a camera is bought as a gift.. then returned because it was to complicated... great deal for you. Say the camera has a loose CCD, that makes bad pictures.... bad deal for you.

So far, I would guess you have about a 85% chance of it being good.....

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 13:45
I just saw the F50fd for 199.00, would have to be one really low price to get me to buy anything else...

Byte Me
11-28-2007, 14:16
Fujifilm mall has the F40 for $199 refurb and you can find the F20 on amazon for $140. Don't know if the F20 has an UW Housing but the F40 does for sure. Either camera, from what I've read, will kill the F50 in PQ especially in low light situations which, I imagine, would be almost all the time UW. The F20 has the same sensor and low light ability as the F30 and F31.

I just bought an Oly SP350 (ebay) and will find out how much I like it on Friday when I go under w/ Jason in Playa. Tri-state camera told me they'd be getting more of those in refurbed "soon" for $199 - Olympus SP-350 8.0 MEGAPIXEL 3X OPTICAL/5X DIGITAL ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA - FACTORY REFURB, Olympus SP350, 225715 (http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?sku=OLYSP350R&cs=find.php&action=search&target=products&keywords=sp350&search_method=all)
I couldn't hold my breath any longer!!

Puffer Fish
11-28-2007, 14:34
Fujifilm mall has the F40 for $199 refurb and you can find the F20 on amazon for $140. Don't know if the F20 has an UW Housing but the F40 does for sure. Either camera, from what I've read, will kill the F50 in PQ especially in low light situations which, I imagine, would be almost all the time UW. The F20 has the same sensor and low light ability as the F30 and F31.

I just bought an Oly SP350 (ebay) and will find out how much I like it on Friday when I go under w/ Jason in Playa. Tri-state camera told me they'd be getting more of those in refurbed "soon" for $199 - Olympus SP-350 8.0 MEGAPIXEL 3X OPTICAL/5X DIGITAL ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA - FACTORY REFURB, Olympus SP350, 225715 (http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?sku=OLYSP350R&cs=find.php&action=search&target=products&keywords=sp350&search_method=all)
I couldn't hold my breath any longer!!

I have the F11, which is the same as the F20/30/40...will be happy to send you identical shots taken with the F50 versus the 6meg sensor. There is no comparison... but it is not in favor of the 6meg.

Your statement about the low light quality of the F50 is true, the image quality is much worse...but being better at something that is not very good is not that valuable.

If you shoot with a strobe, then there is no comparison.. the F50 is amazing. If you shoot in reasonable natural light... dito. If you are shooting in limited vis, with ISO 800, and no flash.. the bad images are far better with the F11. Except the F50 has anti-shake (the real deal, not just faster speed settings), so you can shoot with a lower shutter speed to make up for some of this.

I know that a lot of Fuji owners were very proud that their camera's worked better in low light...and that advantage has been lost in the F50fd, but in return you get a camera with potential resolution as good as most DSLR's I think it is a very good trade.

Having tested the two together for a week, I am more than willing to let the F11 go, with a new UW housing for very few dollars (I bought two housing... but the first one has lasted, so the other one never got used.)

TRACI
11-28-2007, 16:32
I am so undecided, I have been trying to compare the Fuji F50 and the Cannon SD900....too many decisions!

BobArnold8265
11-29-2007, 14:33
I bought a refurbished Nikon film camera a number of years ago and have never had a problem with it. I think the main thing is that you get a warranty. It will become apparent pretty quickly if there is anything wrong with it. Generally speaking, if it works when you receive it, it should be fine !!!