PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Riffe Spearguns

cheebaweebie
11-28-2007, 14:37
Any one own a riffe. Looking to buy a 110cm euro series with the extended butt. Played with one in my LDS and seems like a nice gun. Like the magnet in the tip of the stock to hold the shaft when freeshafting. Made from Teak. great warranty. Only thing I am unsure of is the mono line and how it is run over the shaft back to the line release by the trigger mech. Seem like a PIA to reload in the water. Want to use the gun for freediving, Scuba spearfishing (mostly do now) and blue water if I ever get a chance to do that.
I currently own a sea hornet rhino 52". One thing I do not like about that gun is that its made from mahogony and floats after the shaft is out of it. U have to remember to put your arm through the bands while your screwing with the fish or it floats to the top or the length of the mono line. The same gun can be made in paduk wood which is neutral buyont but I bought the mahogony. The best thing is the bed liner spray on coating over the gun which is huge for maitenance.
But anyone own a riffe and freeshaft and lineshaft with it and have anything good, bad to say about the guns ?
It's hard to spend $500 plus on something without shooting it first or getting good feedback on it.

No Misses
11-28-2007, 15:56
I think that I can add something :-) I have a 48" SS Rhino and a 110x Riffe Euro.

I was free shafting with the Rhino, So I added a spare shaft holder that also holds a UK Mini Q40 light. It makes the gun negative and the light on the end of the barrel works great under ledges and in wrecks.

I bought the Riffe last Spring and have made ~30 dives with it. That thinner shaft shoots like a laser! I have been line shafting with it. The range is something like 24 or 26 feet. The mono line is no big deal to restring. Reloading is slower than when free shafting, but no big deal.

cheebaweebie
11-28-2007, 17:05
So over all your happy with both guns ?

You have alsmost the exact same set up that I want. Except I have the SS 52. If I buy the Riffe I can just use the Rhino for freeshafting. I think I did read that the Euro has a much greater range, 8 feet or so more than the Rhino.

What size shaft are u using in your riffe 6.5 6.75 or 7.1MM

The Riffe is neutral or slightly neg buoyant I assume ?

Have u used the riffe for bigger fish, cobia, wahoo, Large AJ ? if so how did it handle ?

Have you heard about the magnet losing it's pull in these. Shouldn't matter much if you lineshaft.

Appreciate your comments.

No Misses
11-29-2007, 07:49
So over all your happy with both guns ?

You have alsmost the exact same set up that I want. Except I have the SS 52. If I buy the Riffe I can just use the Rhino for freeshafting. I think I did read that the Euro has a much greater range, 8 feet or so more than the Rhino.

What size shaft are u using in your riffe 6.5 6.75 or 7.1MM

The Riffe is neutral or slightly neg buoyant I assume ?

Have u used the riffe for bigger fish, cobia, wahoo, Large AJ ? if so how did it handle ?

Have you heard about the magnet losing it's pull in these. Shouldn't matter much if you lineshaft.

Appreciate your comments.

Yes. I am very happy with both guns. I still use both. I primarily hunt with the Riffe. I carry the SS while lobstering and for penetrating wrecks. The SS is very negative with both shafts installed. I can set it down in a 4 mph current and it will not float away. The shorter length and flashlight holder make it a perfect gun for inside of a wreck.

I am using the 6.75 mm shaft in the Riffe. This thin shaft is the key to its laser-like trajectory.

The Riffe is very neutral. At the safety stop you can let go of the gun and it just hangs there.

The biggest fish that I have shot so far (with Riffe) was a 23 lb grouper. The shaft went all the way through it (body shot). It has brought home some nice muttons, blacks, gags, and reds. I have not shot anything huge with it, yet.

I have not heard anything about the magnet loosing its pull. Even if it did, it would be very easy to replace.

BTW. I picked up my gun at the “Blue Wild Spearfishing Expo” in Dania Beach last spring. I got a great deal from Austin’s Dive shop. The real bonus was that Jay Riffe was the one who showed me all of the features of his new design. There is nothing like a little one on one time with the designer/manufacturer. After that I attended a band tying class that was taught by Daryl Wong. The moral of the story is…if you get the chance to attend next year’s expo…DO ITJ

cheebaweebie
11-29-2007, 12:54
Might do just that... They had a speafishing thing here at my LDS a couple of months ago and Jay Riffe came in to speak. I didn't attend becuase of the work thing and being on a weekday night.

My LDS Owner I guess knows Jay on a personal level and uses the euro gun as well... His wife also.

He couldn't say enough positive things about it.

I really appreciate your feed back. I think I may have to buy the gun.

cheebaweebie
12-04-2007, 12:46
I have bought and received my Riffe Euro 110X. Played with the thing last evening till 11:30. Gonna play hookie from work on Friday and go slam some fishes. Gun looks like a lazer but the one thing I am unsure about is the line shaft and stringing it up after each shot. Looks like there is only one way to string up the line over the shaft and under the muzzle. If you don't do it properly looks like it will catch in the bands and cause a mess. You will have to spend time after each shot untangling the line from the wishbones.
Still... looking forward to the test run this friday...

For anyone looking for gear - spearfishing type - freediving - minimal scuba. ST doesn't have much or specialize in this type the link is The Spearfishing Store - online spearfishing gear and more! (http://www.thespearfishingstore.com)
The site is still under construction so call Jim (owner - good peps. Been freediving for over 25 years) and he will give you an awesome price. Trust me. Ordered on Friday and received on Monday. Price on web is not what your gonna pay...
Store 239-455-7401
Cell 239-253-7779

You won't be disappointed.

No Misses
12-12-2007, 14:02
Cheebaweebie, you have had the new gun for nine days now. Is the freezer full?

cheebaweebie
12-13-2007, 15:13
Absolutely is. Thanks for asking. My buddy Tony P. and I went out off egmont channel off St. Pete and hauled in 6 Grouper (5 Gag and 1 Red) Limit on Hogs (90% of which were 18 to 20 ") and assorted other fish for target practice.

Check out pics under my gallery. I couldn't post to this thread because I am at my work PC.

I was right though about the mono line on the shaft being a PIA. Got tangled up in it a couple of times after shooting the spear through a grouper and having to pull the damn thing out of the rock. After securing the fish I would have to unhook the line from the shock bungee and pull through the fish then re-hook it up.

I guess practice makes perfect and actually stoning the fish would help as well :smiley5:

Gun works great. I'm happy and your right about the thing being a lazer.