PDA

View Full Version : Stockton Lake, December 8th

Dark Wolf
11-28-2007, 17:26
I am starting this thread to find out how many divers might be interested in diving Stockton Lake with a few of us on December 8th. The local Marina is closed for the winter, but if I call him ahead of time he will likely fill our tanks for us. I am taking care of this now so that there is no last minute misunderstanding.

It looks like there are three of us so far, but I will let these divers post their own reply.The actual dive site is not set in stone, but up for discussion. So if you are interested, please post your preferences as to what you would like.

These will be shore dives, and there are several options as to location.

If you are interested, please post. If you need more info, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

DW

Lineman Larry
11-28-2007, 17:33
Have never dived on Stockton.

If the weather don't kill it, count me in for single tank stuff w/o deco obligations.

Larry

clayhwalker
11-28-2007, 18:52
i would be interested in diving the old bridge. and the west end of 215 what we looked at last time

medicdiver
11-28-2007, 18:57
Wish I could join you all but I have to work of course.

cummings66
11-28-2007, 19:36
What are the vis and attractions of this lake like?

Dark Wolf
11-28-2007, 19:55
When I stopped by the Lake about a week ago, it looked like the vis was finally improving. There are not a lot of attractions besides fish, and just getting in the water! Of course, I have found some rod & reels over the years, and more lures than you can shake a stick at. Other than that it is just a nice lake to get together and dive.

The vis was pretty bad early on in the year, and to be honest I have not made a dive there in a couple of months. I know that in March and April vis was pushing 30 ft. Can't give you a better idea of what it is now.

Now that I think on it, there are some pretty cool rock ledges in spots. The few people that have came down and dove there with me were pleasantly surprised, and that was when the vis was down to between 5 and 10 '. Should be better than that now.

DW

navyhmc
11-28-2007, 22:04
I've dove Stockton a few times-had a number of good idves there. I wish I could make a road trip and join you. Alas, I have to work that weekend. Durn it.

medicdiver
11-28-2007, 22:07
How deep is the old bridge?

Dark Wolf
11-28-2007, 23:12
I will have to check my map, but if I remember right it is around 80' deep. I have my doubts whether there is anything there but the abutment, but it would still be a fun dive just to find out. It is definitely a boat dive, the surface swim would be LONG, but still a dive that I would love to do.

snagel
11-29-2007, 16:51
DW -

I sent you a PM. It's my boy's Birthday, but if we aren't doing anything during the day and it's fairly comfortable (weather wise) I might be able to run down.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
11-29-2007, 17:51
Would everyone be OK with doing these dives on the 9th? I just found out that the Christmas party that work puts on for employee's kids is the evening of the 8th. Would the 9th be OK, or would everyone rather do it on the 8th? I can do either day, would just have to leave a little early on Sat. Let me know what you guys think.

Sorry in advance,

DW

Lineman Larry
11-29-2007, 19:07
I can be flexible. ( I think :smiley29: )

skdvr
11-29-2007, 20:38
I would love to join you guys but I will hopefully be in a deer stand that weekend. Please let me know what the conditions were like..

Phil

Dark Wolf
11-29-2007, 21:32
There will be a report posted. I suppose it will be my turn, so I will apologize in advance!!

DW

Edit: Ok, due to everyones schedule it looks like it is going to be December 8th. I can be there as early as you guys want. So let's hear an approximate time you all would like to meet. I am still trying to contact the marina, and will post as soon as I have.

DW

Dark Wolf
12-01-2007, 19:22
I have left a message at the marina and am awaiting a return call to find out about air. I will post specifics as soon as I hear something.

DW

Flatliner
12-01-2007, 19:41
OK, where is Stockton? I might be in. I would need to talk to Household 6, but there is a chance I could make it. Also, if there are any other Lincoln/Omaha divers I might be able to drive.

Lineman Larry
12-01-2007, 19:56
How about 9:00 am?

Dark Wolf
12-01-2007, 20:12
9 AM sounds good to me. I will be there.

DW

Dark Wolf
12-03-2007, 15:17
OK, here is the update: I talked to the marina and they will be available Saturday to fill tanks. Here is what I need to know: Will everyone be arriving with full tanks and fill them later, or do we need to get fills in the AM?

clayhwalke and I will make a trial run tomorrow and will post the conditions. Time permitting, we will also take a look at a couple of the other sites. I expect vis to be down due to the rain we had the last day or two. The weatherman is calling for 58 degree high and the surface water temp is currently 60 degrees, chance of rain has dropped to 20% as of today.

I will post tomorrow with relevant info. Thanks.

DW

texdiveguy
12-03-2007, 15:54
Sounds like a nice spot from what you guys have posted.

Lineman Larry
12-03-2007, 21:19
texdiveguy

Call in sick to work and come get wet... er ... well.

Dark Wolf
12-04-2007, 18:16
Here is the report from diving today:

Vis was pretty low today, as we expected. For some reason every time a storm comes through, the lake stays stirred up quite a while. Vis was between 18" and 5' depending on depth. Temps were about 54 at the surface, and 52 at 30'.

Lineman Larry, where do you want to meet on Saturday morning? Would you like to meet in Nevada or Stockton? Let me know and we can work something out.

We are going to wait and see what the weather is doing, and then decide which dive site to hit.

Any questions/comments, please feel free to contact me.

DW

Lineman Larry
12-04-2007, 19:18
We will have to talk about where to meet.

The weather may get on us some, but we will dive.

SteveC
12-04-2007, 22:44
hmmm 18".... thats a muck divers paradise :)

Mtrewyn
12-04-2007, 23:55
OK, where is Stockton? I might be in. I would need to talk to Household 6, but there is a chance I could make it. Also, if there are any other Lincoln/Omaha divers I might be able to drive.

This would be a long drive for you, it is in southwest MO.

I would love to go but I have to work also,

Dark Wolf
12-07-2007, 18:27
Due to weather forcasts of freezing rain and sleet, we have decided to postpone diving. I will post a new thread as soon as a solid date is nailed down.

Hopefully, the new date will allow some of you who expressed interest to make it.

DW

Lineman Larry
12-07-2007, 21:26
In Kansas City there is an 80% chance of freezing rain on Saturday afternoon. This is when I would have been trying to make a white knuckle drive back from a weather filled day of diving.

This was the only call we could have made.

If anyone can call a dive, no questions asked, then the three of us can call a trip. Especially when the call is such an obvious one.

Larry

navyhmc
12-08-2007, 05:45
On one hand, I'm sorry that you guys weren't able to go. Totally understand that you guys decided to play it safe and not go,

On the other hand I'm glad you called it off as I might be able to make the re-sched. That would be great.

snagel
12-08-2007, 07:14
Hey, Safety First regardless if it is during the dive or getting to and from the dive. Good call, we all want to dive another day.

Keep us posted on the rescheduled date......this is Missouri and wouldn't be out of the possibility of a nice sunny fairly warm weekend in the near future (At least no ice)

S. Nagel

Lineman Larry
12-08-2007, 10:34
Just in case anybody is keeping score...

I woke up to an eighth inch of ice on my windshield this morning.
Roads would have been a mess.