PDA

View Full Version : PADI provides crappy log books!

sas
11-28-2007, 20:53
I hate my PADI dive log book. The glossy pages are difficult to write on and ink takes forever to dry on them so they always end up smudged and ugly. That might be okay if they were water resistant, but they're not. Further, the logbook is not refillable, so when this one's full, I'll have to buy another. My fiancee was certified through SSI, and her log book is much nicer looking, is binder-style and thus refillable, and ink dries much nicer on them. Her binder has a fabric cover that zips up and thus protects the pages to some extent. It's just way better than PADI's book. Maybe if people complain, PADI will shape up and make a nicer logbook.

Matt

ian
11-28-2007, 21:15
So...get a binder you like...make your own log pages...print them out and leave off with your PADI log.

I didn't like my PADI log either. I don't use it. I bought a nice binder from Trident and made my own log sheets. I have a PDF of it, but, at the moment, I have no where to post it. I'm on my way to Austin in the morning to teach a class, too. If you like, I'll PM you a copy.

Ian

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-28-2007, 21:20
PADI also has loose leaf logs with zippered binders. Perhaps your LDS doesn't stock them.

I am using a daily planner that is the right size for the loose leaf log sheets because I am too cheap to buy the PADI version and don't want the LDS logo on my log book.

texdiveguy
11-28-2007, 21:20
Gripe - gripe - gripe! I LIKE the PADI log books....they fit nice into my zippered binder....plenty of space and data entry points.

Tableleg
11-28-2007, 21:43
That might be okay if they were water resistant, but they're not. I disagree with you here. The pages in my padi log book are MUCH more water resistant than the lose leaf 'regular' style paper logs that one can buy. Can you throw the thing in the lake and expect it to come out fine? Of course not. But I have found that if a few drops of water get onto the page I'm writing on, if I wipe it off within 5~10 sec, it doesn't absorb into the page.

What kind of pen are you using that you're having difficulty with the ink drying? I use a regular Bic style clickie one and it dries just fine. The only pen I've ever had smudge was one of those gel style deals.

DivingsInMyBlood
11-28-2007, 21:46
I have a zip folder for my padi log book and I find the info you can enter on the log book pretty good and the pages do not bother me really, however I would be swearing if I used a ballpoint or a fountin pen on them.

Capt Hook
11-28-2007, 22:38
This is not a problem!! People dying, whales being hunted, corals bleaching; These are problems!! Stop whining!

medicdiver
11-28-2007, 22:56
I've started using the computer to make log pages. I have also started puting my dive data onto an excel document as well.

mcc2318
11-28-2007, 23:10
i have a zip folder for my padi log book with the padi logo sewn on it. Its pretty good I had to buy another one after I was dog sitting my dads english bull dog while he was on vacation

CaptainRon
11-28-2007, 23:25
So...get a binder you like...make your own log pages...print them out and leave off with your PADI log.

I didn't like my PADI log either. I don't use it. I bought a nice binder from Trident and made my own log sheets. I have a PDF of it, but, at the moment, I have no where to post it. I'm on my way to Austin in the morning to teach a class, too. If you like, I'll PM you a copy.

Ian

If you don't mind, I would like a copy of the pdf. I'm currently looking for ideas to make my own log pages.

Mtrewyn
11-29-2007, 01:06

Ian

I did the same thing. and found some on line pages that were OK, But I would love to see the one you have made if you are willing to share.

Silverlode
11-29-2007, 04:45

Ian

I did the same thing. and found some on line pages that were OK, But I would love to see the one you have made if you are willing to share.

Yeah! If it's possible to post it somewhere so that we can download it. Thanks.

jafo123
11-29-2007, 06:36
Just dive more fill it up and buy whatever you want after that. That's what I did.

RoadRacer1978
11-29-2007, 06:36
I use a PADI bok and will continue until it is full. Then we will see. As long as you use the cheap tye Bic pens it will be fine. If you use a gel type or one with the really liquidy (maybe a word) ink, you will get smudges every time. But really, if you do not like it, ust try something else. If you can'r find one that has the info you want, just make one. It is your log book, so make yourself happy. :)

Zenagirl
11-29-2007, 07:39
I also have one of the zip-up binders that I got when we were certified. I have to agree about the log book pages though....really don't like them, but that's mostly because I use a computer to dive and the table thing takes up too much room. I designed my own pages with dive-logs.com and am very happy with them. They ain't cheap through these guys, but worth it to me.

bjoseph
11-29-2007, 07:43
How many folks just use the electronic downloads off of their dive computers?

quasimoto
12-02-2007, 13:18

I do all the time. I will log about 10-15 in my book at a time from the computer. All my dives are also on my pc.

I use the PADI log and have to agree with the others. No use it posting about that.

I have a couple other log pages that others have given me. I know that a couple are in Excel files but if anyone is interested let me know.

Diver Kat
12-02-2007, 14:56
I have the zip up version of the Padi log book and the pages were just fine. When I ran out - rather than buy more pages, I created my own version. I just print it out and use a paper cutter to knock it down to size, then an adjustable 3-hole punch so they fit the binder.

mm2002
12-06-2007, 09:26
I think the PADI log sheets are fine (although a tad expensive). I really didn't care for the mesh binder for $25, but I found a nice leather (vinyl) one at Wal Mart for $12.00. It's way more water resistant than the PADI one, and has a lot more compartments inside.

shadragon
12-06-2007, 10:01
I found this one on the web:

http://www.dayoscuba.com/temp/divelogpages.jpg

...but it didn't do it for me as I wanted less graphics to save space. So I created my own with three dives per page. They fit into my dive binder perfectly.

I went ahead and ordered these to be printed. I wanted to get the minimum order of 250 and at 6 dives per double sided page that was good for 1500 dives. The sales guy said they had a November special; for another $10 I could double the number to 500, PLUS get some free business cards. So I said what the heck and authorized it. I needed the cards anyway.

He showed up at my office yesterday carrying a HUGE heavy box. Sheepishly he tells me he had put in a work order for 5000 log sheets by mistake. The good news, he only charged me for the quoted 500, but I now have enough dive log pages for 30,000 dives.

So who wants to go diving...? :smiley36:

cgvmer
12-06-2007, 10:40
You better get wet fast to use up those pages

LiteHedded
12-06-2007, 10:59
don't get the padi book wet
it will superglue itself together

Buoyant1
12-06-2007, 11:07
I keep mine in a zippered binder (and the binder in a 2 gallon zip lock when I'm at the site or on the boat)

Use a fine Sharpie to write in it...they dry fairly quickly, and don't smudge if they get wet!

I also have my computer log...one of these days I'll think about actually printing them out and putting them in a binder...

cummings66
12-06-2007, 12:45
I agree the padi log book pages will smudge ink from a regular pen for a couple minutes after you write it, but I do like the format and that's why I love ghost's logbook program. It prints out on paper a padi style logbook and that's all I need.

CompuDude
12-06-2007, 13:21
Regular ballpoint pens (and fine-tipped sharpies) work fine with the glossy paper of PADI's logbooks (and the same used by many others). I used them for many years. Rollerball and gel pens, which I prefer, are terrible with any glossy paper. This is hardly PADI's fault.

I never cared for the looseleaf binder style books, personally... I like the little passport-sized ones PADI used to have as a standard. The bigger ones are more of a pain to pack. You can still find the little ones around with a little legwork... I picked up a couple from LeisurePro shortly before I stopped using them, in fact.

That said, I no longer have any paper log books except one that I print out from my computer logs periodically and leave on a shelf at home. All of my old hand logs were hand-entered into my software, and all recent logs are downloaded from my AI computer (with descriptions and extra info hand entered, of course). Because I have AquaDiveLog on my Palm Treo cellphone, integrated with Uwatec's SmartTrak on my desktop, I have my complete dive history with me at all times. So there's no need to carry around paper, and worry about losing it or getting it wet. (I have to have my cellphone with me anyway, and keep that dry, so nothing lost there.) If I ever do actually lose my phone, a replacement will sync the records right back in off my computer 5 minutes after I bring it home.

I leave the dead tree edition on the bookshelf, where it belongs.

DivingCRNA
12-06-2007, 13:25

Ian

If you don't mind, I would like a copy of the pdf. I'm currently looking for ideas to make my own log pages.

Me too. My PADI zip deal is getting full. I may go to a full sized 3 ring binder.

DivingCRNA
12-06-2007, 13:29

I use a Mac :( Great for everything BUT downloading dive computers! :simpsons16::simpsons16:

CompuDude
12-06-2007, 13:44

I use a Mac :( Great for everything BUT downloading dive computers! :simpsons16::simpsons16:

Not entirely true, there are a number of options. And that's without considering Parallels to open the field all the way up.

Uwatec has JTrak, and Suunto has MacDiveLog, to start...

DivingCRNA
12-06-2007, 14:17

Not entirely true, there are a number of options. And that's without considering Parallels to open the field all the way up.

Uwatec has JTrak, and Suunto has MacDiveLog, to start...

Well, I have a dive computer that works great for everything I do that I bought 6 years ago. I hate to fork out for a dive computer JUST to download dives...

I am kind of pointing in a tec direction with my diving. If I buy another computer, it will be a wrist mount full deco computer as a back up to cut tables. So I am a little stuck for now.

mitchy
12-13-2007, 16:58
I like the PADI layout, so I use the pages and put them into a 3 ring binder. I like to print out info from the Internet on the various wrecks I've dove to and put them in the binder with the dive log. Many of these Internet sights have great pictures, specs etc. of the wreck, and makes a nice supplement to my writing in the dive log.

teog
12-25-2007, 21:45
It could be worse, you could get ripped off and have to buy a SSI log book :(