PDA

View Full Version : HydroOptix

mcc2318
11-29-2007, 11:32
I've seen this ad in scuba training and was curious if anyone has used this mask, 200 bucks for a mask seems alittle to much!
Scuba Masks by HydroOptix -- Home (http://www.hydrooptix.com/index2.html)
http://www.hydrooptix.com/images/allmega/mask.jpg

ScubaToys Larry
11-29-2007, 11:38
It is an amazing mask:

HydroOptix Mega 4.5 DD Mask, Dive Masks, HydroOptix, HydroOptix Mega 4.5 DD Mask (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Hydrooptix)

If you are about a -3.5 prescription - you will not believe the visibility, and you no longer have the "25% closer" thing going on... nor the side distortion. It's pretty much people with that prescription, or photo or video guys that we sell the Hydro Optix masks to... and they love them!

It's one of those products you have to try it to believe the difference it makes.

Puffer Fish
11-29-2007, 12:28
I have one, and using it is great.. some the parts of it sort of suck, but it is nice.

Oh, and it works on a bigger range than just -3.5. I'm old (not flexable eyes anymore) and have -3.75 and -4.5.. and it still is amazing.

Xspect
11-29-2007, 14:56
What part sucks ? curious minds want to know.

I have one, and using it is great.. some the parts of it sort of suck, but it is nice.

Oh, and it works on a bigger range than just -3.5. I'm old (not flexable eyes anymore) and have -3.75 and -4.5.. and it still is amazing.

BuzzF117
11-29-2007, 15:11
The cost is what I struggle with..being blind in one eye I was looking for any improvement in periferal vision I could get but this mask is out of my range.

hychang
11-29-2007, 15:36
The mask does indeed live up to its marketing as Larry points out. I love the one I have. As far as cost goes, it was actually less than what I paid for a mask with my prescription. Had I known about ST, it would've been even cheaper with the 10% discount and $10 gift certificate for the initial 10 posts!! For me, the HydroOptix mask been worth every penny as it's help make my enty into diving really awesome!!

It is an amazing mask:

HydroOptix Mega 4.5 DD Mask, Dive Masks, HydroOptix, HydroOptix Mega 4.5 DD Mask (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Hydrooptix)

If you are about a -3.5 prescription - you will not believe the visibility, and you no longer have the "25% closer" thing going on... nor the side distortion. It's pretty much people with that prescription, or photo or video guys that we sell the Hydro Optix masks to... and they love them!

It's one of those products you have to try it to believe the difference it makes.

Puffer Fish
11-29-2007, 16:17

As you asked:

1. The mask is plastic.. as in scratches easily, so you have to protect it. They give you the worst shaped cover that is very difficult to put on and if it comes off (which it can easily) you have the scratch issue.

2. The strap uses those locks, that come undone on their own... and getting this mask adjusted just right is important, due to the large air volume.

3. The inside of the mask is coated (or so they say) with some sort of anti-fog that gets soft when wet.. and can be damaged (have already replaced on lens due to salt water drying on the inside and damaging it.

4. They use dual purges... they tend to leak... and with this mask, a leak means you have water puddling in the center of the mask... you see the puddle and not much else.

5. Because of 4, it is hard to get any defog to work.. as it gets washed off. If I prep the mask really good.. I get one dive out of it and the next dive is non-stop fog city.

Other than the above.. I love it.

Navy OnStar
11-29-2007, 16:23

As you asked:

1. The mask is plastic.. as in scratches easily, so you have to protect it. They give you the worst shaped cover that is very difficult to put on and if it comes off (which it can easily) you have the scratch issue.

2. The strap uses those locks, that come undone on their own... and getting this mask adjusted just right is important, due to the large air volume.

3. The inside of the mask is coated (or so they say) with some sort of anti-fog that gets soft when wet.. and can be damaged (have already replaced on lens due to salt water drying on the inside and damaging it.

4. They use dual purges... they tend to leak... and with this mask, a leak means you have water puddling in the center of the mask... you see the puddle and not much else.

5. Because of 4, it is hard to get any defog to work.. as it gets washed off. If I prep the mask really good.. I get one dive out of it and the next dive is non-stop fog city.

Other than that?!?!? Sounds like a lot that sucks!

Curious though...How many people use contacts with this mask like they suggest?
And what did your eye doctor say when you went in 20/20 and said you want a -3.5 set of contacts?????

tarheeldiver
11-29-2007, 17:10

As you asked:

Other than that?!?!? Sounds like a lot that sucks!

Curious though...How many people use contacts with this mask like they suggest?
And what did your eye doctor say when you went in 20/20 and said you want a -3.5 set of contacts?????
I'm like you this don't sound that great since I'm just 2.50 I think I'll stick with contacts

BuzzF117
12-02-2007, 17:17
Im -3.75 and don't wear contacts cause I can't read my guages with em in since I need bifocals. I thought about those little stickers youput inside your mask but to be honest I see better under water with my mask then I do out of the water with no glasses.

Z-naught
12-02-2007, 18:19
I'm quite interested in this mask, but I'm concerned about not being able to try one on to see if it will fit me before I commit to purchasing one. Are there any guarantees that a HydroOptix mask will fit?

Also, does anyone know if a 3.25 prescription is sufficient to go without contacts? I'm young enough to have very strong eyes, according to my optometrist that is (focusing ability I think is what she referrred to).

Aside from anecdotal evidence of some fogging issues, the mask appears like it could be ideal.

Thanks for the info.

ScubaToys Larry
12-02-2007, 18:58
That is a -3.25 right?? Yes, that would be fine... and you could get one from us and we have extended our return policy for now through christmas until nto January... You will know if it fits before you ever hit the water... Just try it on and see! If not, send it back, and you're out a few bucks in shipping.

Of course, if anyone is in the Dallas area, you are welcome to try one out in our pool!

Z-naught
12-03-2007, 10:35
That is a -3.25 right??Yes, yes of course. Sorry for the typo. I'm a -3.25. Alas, I don't live anywhere near Texas, so the ever advised try-before-you-buy procedure just isn't an option for me. However, I may very well order one and try it out as your return policy is very accomodating!

Regarding sizes, according to the HydroOptix website (http://www.hydrooptix.com/ps_45dd_faceskirt.html), there are two skirt shapes: the S1, which is designed for "shorter" faces, and the S3, which is designed for "medium-to-larger" faces. I really don't know how to judge those two skirt types based on those descriptions. Can you recommend one for a person with a small-to-medium sized northern european bone structure? (I suppose I have an oblong head with high forehead. Sort of a fusion of Jacque Cousteau and Patrick Stewart...and yes, I flatter myself ;)) If I had to guess, I think the S3 might work, but the mention of it being ideal for asian faces makes me wary.

Thanks for the help!