PDA

View Full Version : Moustache Woes & Procedures

Fireplug
11-29-2007, 19:37
I figured the man laws site would be the logical place to ask what y'all do with leaky masks due to moustache hairs. I have found the best thing so far is to shave off a stripe below my nose where the mask seals. My stache is fairly full and bushy so as not to be real noticable but I still don't like to shave it. Had it for 32 years so am kinda partial to it. Have tried silicone grease, still get some water past. Are there any masks that work better to seal facial hair? Any hints or tips from the assembled masses? :smiley_scuba:

Bryanmc
11-29-2007, 19:44
I have the sam problem.. I just clear a little more often than everybody else....

navyhmc
11-29-2007, 21:05
I've just accepted that I have to bear the burden of a little mask leak to keep my manly good looks. I will say that a full beard does help in cold water to keep your face "Cold circle" a little warmer.

fireflock
11-29-2007, 21:07
Some masks work better than others, but it depends on the shape of your face so you just have to try as many as you can.

Some people trim a small line along the bottom of their nose and the mask seals there.

I keep a pretty short beard. I've never done anything to mine and my mask fits well so I don't have problems. Maybe I'd have problems if it was longer.

Rich

Defman
11-30-2007, 07:26
Ditto... shave under my nose & upper cheeks

No Misses
11-30-2007, 08:09
For a normal 3 tank trip, I just deal with the small leakage. If I am doing a livaboard where I will be doing 5-6 dives per day, I will shave a small line below the nose to allow mask seal.

P.S. every time that I shave that line under my nose, the same song runs through my head...Jimmy Buffets "Pencil Thin Mustache"

I wish I had a pencil thin mustache
The boston blackie kind
A two toned ricky ricardo jacket
And an autographed picture of andy devine ...

480 volt
11-30-2007, 11:49
One word Scubapro frameless. Or is that two words?

marchand
11-30-2007, 12:43
how about a full face mask

tarheeldiver
11-30-2007, 12:51
Ditto... shave under my nose & upper cheeks
Thats what I do too and if on a dive trip I I just trim it down to a shadow

MSilvia
11-30-2007, 13:28
I can honestly say, as someone that has had a moustache and beard for at least 15 of the 20 years I've been diving, that I've never had a mask leak because of it. Perhaps you should find a mask with a skirt that seals over your facial hair?

unclepooty
11-30-2007, 14:21
I just exhale slowly through nose as needed

iowdivnut
12-01-2007, 18:08
I just clear more than everybody else. I think I'll shave it next summer just to see what I'd look like. I haven't seen my upper lip since "73" and my wife hasn"t seen it since 1969.

dludwig
12-01-2007, 19:41
This year, rather than fight it, it was easier to shave for the diving season. :smiley29: Its a shame to cover up my face w/ hair anyway :smilie39:

Kabniel
12-02-2007, 15:27
i usually keep my tache cropped close anyway but i also use a beaver atomic mask which seals nicely

Theepdinker
12-02-2007, 16:11
I figured the man laws site would be the logical place to ask what y'all do with leaky masks due to moustache hairs. I have found the best thing so far is to shave off a stripe below my nose where the mask seals. My stache is fairly full and bushy so as not to be real noticable but I still don't like to shave it. Had it for 32 years so am kinda partial to it. Have tried silicone grease, still get some water past. Are there any masks that work better to seal facial hair? Any hints or tips from the assembled masses? :smiley_scuba:
I've done just like you over the years.
Same results.
Got a new mask recently that seals better than any other I've used.
Still get a small leak sometimes.
Clear & go, no big deal.

Theep

Splitlip
12-02-2007, 17:33
Nah. I say unless you're wearing a beard, lose the stache. They are so 20th century.

mm2002
12-03-2007, 11:37
I can honestly say, as someone that has had a moustache and beard for at least 15 of the 20 years I've been diving, that I've never had a mask leak because of it. Perhaps you should find a mask with a skirt that seals over your facial hair?

A skirt that seals over hair? How is that possible?
I just keep mine trimmed a tad below the nose and it seals fines. I've forgot to trim before a couple of dives, and water constantly comes in. To me, constantly keeping the mask cleared takes about 99% of the fun out of the dive.

spellow
12-03-2007, 12:22
very interesting stuff, I usually just shave it off and grow it back....but it doesn't take me long to grow it back sooooo.......

Fireplug
12-03-2007, 17:09
Nah. I say unless you're wearing a beard, lose the stache. They are so 20th century.
Shave my moustache off?!!! What kind of un-American, pie-eyed, pigeon toed, slap happy, goofy deal is that? I've had my lip furred since 1976. That would be like losing a family member. I'll live with a wet mask long before scalping my cookie duster!!!

Thanks for the advice though.

mm2002
12-03-2007, 18:22
Shave my moustache off?!!! What kind of un-American, pie-eyed, pigeon toed, slap happy, goofy deal is that? I've had my lip furred since 1976. That would be like losing a family member. I'll live with a wet mask long before scalping my cookie duster!!!

Thanks for the advice though.

:smilie39: I love it!!!!! :smilie39:

KnottyKnotter
12-05-2007, 09:50
I've found Carmex works well for me. Not the tube, but the little screwtop containers. Heavier/thicker Carmex than in the tubes. I just scoop and pack it in the stash, works great.

teog
12-20-2007, 19:23
I have no advice for you since Im 30 yrs old and cant even grow a moustache.lol

DarinMartell
12-31-2007, 11:21
I shave it off all together before I leave on a trip. I like to "air things out" every so often and I don't have to worry about trimming while on vacation. For local diving I just trim back a little bit. This is the reason I have added a disposable razor to my save a dive kit.

dannybot
01-01-2008, 07:59
I just exhale slowly through nose as needed

Works for me, or if you have an adjustable second stage, you can dial minimal resistance and blow through an AL80 in 20 min, but it keeps the mask clear!

ian
01-01-2008, 09:58
I, too, have had my upper lip covered by a mustache since 1975! I have never had a problem with leaking in my masks. I can even get a decent enough seal to check mask fit without the strap.

I find that I just breathe out through my nose a bit during the dive and the little water that does begin to accumulate disappears. This is just a gentle out breath through my nose, not a forceful one.

Incidentally, my mask clearing demonstrations are much more effective for students because they see the water level slowly dropping in my mask after a flood. They seem to get the idea a lot faster than after seeing the forceful, full-blast snorts. So…the ‘tashe is actually an effective teaching/training tool!

OK…the conditions at LJS look good…so…to quote the man…:Screw you guys…I’m going diving…"

Ian

tbg0519
01-01-2008, 12:52
Shave the 'stache? I'd rather snort a gallon of sea water. I do 2 things that keep my mask clear. As previously noted by others, I keep just a little pressure in the mask by exhaling slightly through the nose. My other trick is plain old petroleum jelly. Put a big old blob on the caterpillar, rub it in some so there's no air pockets to get a good seal. It may be the mask too, I don't know. I use a sherwood magnum which hasn't failed yet.

rye_a
01-04-2008, 17:55
Yep...Plain old vasaline works for me. I als just switched to a TUSA Visulator mask which has locking adjustments for strap angle, so I can increase the pressure of the mask on my upper lip.

maverick
01-09-2008, 20:34
I wouldn't trim, shave, or cut my stache 4 all the tea in China. I still get a seal but every so often I have 2 clear my mask. Sometimes I use stache wax.

mm2002
01-09-2008, 21:19
I just run a small bead of RTV on the 'stache before putting on the mask. Then let it set up for about 5 hours before getting in the water.
It's hell to clean up later, but no leaks so far!

Idiot disclaimer:
(kidding, please don't try this!!!:smiley36:)

JoeSat
01-10-2008, 21:52
Most of what has been said applies. I have never had to shave. I do use a little silicon grease (and I do mean a very little). But what works best is positive thinking and the Zin of no leaky!

Fireplug
01-18-2008, 07:57
RTV? Are you insane? Isn't that the stuff used to seal windows and stuff?

On second throught, that just might work. Let me check at Home Depot. Probably in the personal products section next to the butt putty, (Pepto Bismol)!

danielh03
01-19-2008, 23:28
You all scare me! I shaved my stache in 99, glad to have it gone lol.

setesh
01-19-2008, 23:38
Dude on the boat with me in Belize used Vaseline, he just slathered a bunch into his stache and claimed that this worked like a charm for him. I always just shave mine though.

pyre24
02-14-2008, 00:59
I would just shave it before a dive. After all it always comes back.

MSilvia
02-14-2008, 09:35
A skirt that seals over hair? How is that possible?
That's a good question I'm not sure I know the answer to, but I'll tell you this... when I try on masks, I can get some of them to hold to my moustached face without the strap, and not others. I buy one that will, and I neither do anything else to prevent leaks, nor get many.

If I had to guess, I'd say the mask skirt actually seals against my upper lip. I groom my moustache so that it doesn't get in my mouth while I'm eating, and that seems to do the trick.

KGNickl
02-14-2008, 10:08
Only time I have one is when I go mountain man by not shaving for a few days when I'm lazy. Other than that I always shave it away so thats no problem for me. If I'm going to be wearing a mask I just shave, problem solved. Only way I could imagine a mask sealing at all with one is for it to be very very tight, to the point of being uncomfortable.

MSilvia
02-14-2008, 10:22
Only way I could imagine a mask sealing at all with one is for it to be very very tight, to the point of being uncomfortable.
You're entitled to your imaginings, but my mask is quite comfortable, and despite my moustache it hasn't needed clearing more than once on any dive I can recall since I bought it 9 years ago... unless my hood was under the skirt.

rfb3
02-14-2008, 10:44
I have no mustache, but do have a trendous uni-brow that will at times leak. :)
(Sorry I am a little goofy this morning, I am about to leave for a bareboat charter in the BVI!)

RoyN
02-14-2008, 13:06
I shave everyday to get rid of the monster hair. :D

inwa2deep
02-14-2008, 22:10
I Just use a bit of vaseline... It works perfect for me I can actualy test the seal w/o the strap when i use it.

emalebiga
02-21-2008, 13:14
I've found Carmex works well for me. Not the tube, but the little screwtop containers. Heavier/thicker Carmex than in the tubes. I just scoop and pack it in the stash, works great.

I am going to have to try this next monday when I am in the pool.

lm929
02-21-2008, 20:58
hey just a stick of chap-stix use it liberally over your mustache and no problem with leaking. easy carried and applied. you can't go wrong

rye_a
02-22-2008, 17:43
I use a TUSA visulator and really don't have any problems.

terrillja
02-22-2008, 17:48
Everyone who uses vaseline or any other petroleum products, don't. It degrades the rubber of your mask skirt and will lead to premature wear on the mask. Use silicone, which can be obtained rather inexpensively, I think st has it under accessories.

Wolfie2012
02-24-2008, 08:30
Everyone who uses vaseline or any other petroleum products, don't. It degrades the rubber of your mask skirt and will lead to premature wear on the mask. Use silicone, which can be obtained rather inexpensively, I think st has it under accessories.

And make sure you're using Silicone grease and not silicone sealant! :smiley2:

scubastud
09-28-2008, 10:22
I found a good mask that fits well that has a purge valve, I know- but they have come a long way, the valves now work great, keeps from fogging up and I just breathe from nose once in a while. I don't use any stuff on the stache.

Skred
09-29-2008, 10:44
... when I try on masks, I can get some of them to hold to my moustached face without the strap, and not others.

Ditto. If it fits like that, it won't leak.

I've been diving with a 'stache since dive #1 and have never done anything besides keep it trimmed. Been through a couple of masks from different manufacturers in that time and never had a problem.

GIFFMANN
09-29-2008, 12:32
The mask I use is the ScubaMax version of the Manta. Works really well. However, to improve the seal, I do shave a thin stripe just below the nose. No problems with leakage at all.

RoyN
09-29-2008, 14:48
I shave mine.

SAdude
09-29-2008, 16:01
I have the same problem, but I also have a long nose, so between the stasche and the nose I get a little leaky. I have a purge valve in the nose that I just breath through my nose every so often, and it keeps the level down, I don't even think about it, it's like a haabit now. I may try the carmex, or vaseline though.

Doug B
09-30-2008, 21:42
All those suggestions above are just fine and good for a male diver.

But what about the occasional female diver with a 'stash? What's she supposed to do? Oh yeah, I've seen them a time or two. The first one I saw, I did a double-triple-quadruple take before I could convince myself she had a 'stash.... and the makings of a shadow of a goatee.

I kept hoping that it was the lighting or a shadow..... nope, it was hair.

Try not to look at that and stare! it's hard!

SynCitizen
09-30-2008, 21:58
I just picked up a liquid skin Mares mask. Won't be able to dive in it till the 4th. I'm hoping the extra elasticity will help with the small amount of leakage I currently get. Even though it really didn't bother me to just breath out the nose every once in while to clear it.