PDA

View Full Version : EnLIGHTen me!

mitchy
11-29-2007, 20:10
Just ordered a primary dive light from ST. Never had a light before, and therefore, I am looking for opinions on how to attach it. Do I:

- Unclip it and use the lanyard
- use a retractor
- a quick release coil lanyard
- some other great idea?

navyhmc
11-29-2007, 21:10
My preferred method of keeping the primary light on your non-dominant wrist via a lanyard. I will usually keep my spare on a dog clip that's attached close to the light on a wrist lanyard.

I have tried a retractor but the constant pressure on the line or having to fight with the line are the major detractors to using it.

ScubaToys Larry
11-29-2007, 21:19
I like the coil lanyard myself. If you're going to wear it on your wrist the whole time, experiment with which wrist works best - right for me as I feel it gets in the way of me working my inflator on my left.

But since I really like doing night time photo, I'll have a camera in my hands a lot, so I like being able to clip off the light when I'm shooting.

dannybot
11-29-2007, 21:28
I find with a wrist computer on my right wrist, I prefer the light in my left hand, so I can view the computer. This also frees my right hand for a camera. Before I got a computer, I kept the light in my right hand, which PADI recommends. As Larry says, your left hand is free to work the inflator, and you can use the light to view the guages. Always remember to use the wrist strap and secure the light. If you don't have a back up, you're hosed if you drop it.

mitchy
11-30-2007, 11:56
Thanks for the replies so far. I had been following the other discussion on where and with what people were using, but I like the rationales as to why.

CompuDude
11-30-2007, 12:57
I like the coil lanyard (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3) best also. Easy to secure, easy to get out of the way, plenty strong. Very little "pull" when it's in the open position, but nice and out of the way when you want it gone... and ALWAYS attached to you. Far less likely to break than a retractor. It's often inconvenient to have a big light hanging off your wrists for an entire dive.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/clips/pics/crlo3.jpg

I actually prefer the model with the brass bolt snap instead of the plastic clip, but both do the job.

DivingCRNA
11-30-2007, 13:49
Can light on the right side of my belt and the light head on my right hand with a soft goodman handle.

Back up clipped to the right chest D-ring.

ucrtwf
11-30-2007, 15:02
I typically just use a clip to my BC from the lanyard built into the light (Princeton tec shockwave led). This gives me plenty of room to wave it around, and also gives me the freedom to let it hang when/if I've got something else to do (take pics, give hand signals, etc.). I guess you could just put the lanyard on your wrist, but then you've got it hanging there the whole time if you have something else to do. I usually keep my hands pretty close to my body, not fully extending my arms much so the light cliped to the BC gives me the feeling of freedom if I want to drop it, without chasing after the $100 (it sinks pretty quick).
I hope this helps.

mitchy
11-30-2007, 15:24
I've been home all day today. Went out for two minutes. Came back to find out that UPS had been by with the light I ordered. Now I have to wait until Monday to get it. Argh. Oh well, more time to read posts on where to put it.

BSea
11-30-2007, 16:33
I like the coil lanyard (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3) best also. Easy to secure, easy to get out of the way, plenty strong. Very little "pull" when it's in the open position, but nice and out of the way when you want it gone... and ALWAYS attached to you. Far less likely to break than a retractor. It's often inconvenient to have a big light hanging off your wrists for an entire dive.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/clips/pics/crlo3.jpg

I actually prefer the model with the brass bolt snap instead of the plastic clip, but both do the job.
I also like this for a primary light. For all the reasons explained above. My picture in the profile shos this set-up.

But if you have a smaller light similar to a regular sized flashlight, you can clip to your right shoulder D-rings, you can leave it clipped and still use it. When not used, it is out of the way. Look at post #37 of this thread (http://forum.scubatoys.com/open-water-diver/5927-advice-adopting-some-dir-setups-2.html).

redneckdiver52
11-30-2007, 16:57
I prefer using the lanyard that came with my UK light on my right wrist. I keep two backups. One clipped to my BC on my lower left and on strapped on the upper right next to my head. I am thinking of buying one of the coil lanyards thought because you can still use the wrist lanyard with it but if you need to you can just clip it off while you do something else.

whse56
12-30-2007, 11:52
I use the coil lanyard mentioned earlier, attached to the right side of my BC at chest level. Easy to get to and handy when you need it.

plot
12-31-2007, 14:12
I like clipping mine to a d-ring. Backup is clipped to a d-ring and bungied down.

Duckydiver
01-13-2008, 12:47
I've been using the same coil lanyard that the other folks have been showing. Typicaly I don't even have to unclip it when I use it. I just aim from where its cliped. I find it a PITA to clip and unclip constantly.

Doug B
01-13-2008, 21:04
Retractors break. Period.

The coil thing shown isn't bad. I've always got one on a D-clip for 'whatever' needs to be clipped on (camera, light, whatever)

I use a wrist lanyard on my primary light, on my right hand. Don't like the light in my left hand - need that for my inflator.

I also have a smaller light, with a lanyard, in a pocket as a backup.
The smaller light had a rubber adapter that allows it to attach to my mask strap, sort of like a helmet light thing. I used it once... kinda neat.

d

team2tank
01-14-2008, 11:20
use the lanyard its strong and simple, keep it simple at night, also keep a backup light....incase the one you have goes out...hehe....i laugh, it happens