PDA

View Full Version : Dry Snorkels

Roughwater
11-29-2007, 23:14
Hi,

Must have been living under a rock. For the first time ever I've seen the 'Dry Snorkel'. Thought it might make a great gift for my misses.

Had a couple of questions:

1) Do they really keep you totally dry? ie - not just submerging or splashes, but do they work in real bad chop?

2) What happens if you try breathing in (on the surface) as a splash or wave comes over. Does the inwards breathing override the block, or does it still 'protect' you?

3) What is the difference between these two:

Totally Dry Snorkel, Snorkels, ScubaToys, Totally Dry Snorkel (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mojave)

Aeris Cuda UltraDry Snorkel, Snorkels, Aeris, Aeris Cuda UltraDry Snorkel (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BarracudaSnorkel)

(Besides the fact I can buy 3 of one for 1 of the other) :smiley2:

4) Any other comments on Dry snorkels? Are they really 'that great', or are they more a gimmik that 1/2 works, but ain't perfect?

Thanks

Adam.

DivingCRNA
11-30-2007, 05:23
Hi,

Must have been living under a rock. For the first time ever I've seen the 'Dry Snorkel'. Thought it might make a great gift for my misses.

1) Do they really keep you totally dry? ie - not just submerging or splashes, but do they work in real bad chop?

2) What happens if you try breathing in (on the surface) as a splash or wave comes over. Does the inwards breathing override the block, or does it still 'protect' you?

Totally Dry Snorkel, Snorkels, ScubaToys, Totally Dry Snorkel (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mojave)

Aeris Cuda UltraDry Snorkel, Snorkels, Aeris, Aeris Cuda UltraDry Snorkel (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BarracudaSnorkel)

4) Any other comments on Dry snorkels? Are they really 'that great', or are they more a gimmik that 1/2 works, but ain't perfect?

Thanks

Adam.

Snorkel? what is that? The thing on the side of your mask that gets in the way during training dives, but you take off after a training dive???

BTW-mine is always dry, unless water gets in the bottom of my gear chest! ;-)

brandon
11-30-2007, 05:48
I had an Ocean Master dry snorkel once upon a time... it was one of the first pieces of gear that I bought, before I had actually handled or dove with any.

I have no clue where it is these days...

I have a dollar store j-tube snorkel that I shove in my waistband if a boat captain or DM really wants me to have one.

/shrug, there are those that won't dive without em! To each their own.

-B.

Puffer Fish
11-30-2007, 06:42
They are similar, but a bit different design..one may work ever so slightly better... but it should not be much.

Do they work... yup. Maybe not perfect, but if you are bobbing in rough seas, they do stop water from coming in.

I only wear one today, if there is the possibility that I could get left out to sea. Calm water, don't wear one. But in rough seas, they actually work (although I don't choke anymore, so don't really need it.)

No Misses
11-30-2007, 08:30
I used an Oceanic Dry snorkle for a while. I now use a Tusa Hyper Dry which is not truly a dry snorkle. It just has a splash deflector on top. It will flood when submerged.

Pro's and con's of true dry snorkles
Pro - they will keep water from entering the snorkle when in an upright position.
Con - if you are like me and occasionally look back (under yourself), this places the snorkle in a horizontal position and it will flood.
Con - if you try to dive down (free dive), this is one more air space that is adding unwanted buoyancy.

BuzzF117
11-30-2007, 10:16
I have a nice scubapro dry snorkel that I paid to much for when you consider how little I use it. I have only used it in Lake Michigan due to the waves.

mitsuguy
11-30-2007, 11:02
my wife swears by her dry snorkel, but I have a Tusa snorkel with a splash deflector... I hate hers - if you are breathing in and water splashes the actuator, you can no longer breathe in... whereas mine, if water splashes in, the design keeps as little as possible from actually making it down the tube to my mouth, the little water that does sits in the bottom of the large mouthpiece, I sense the water, then purge it myself...

either way works, I guess, I just prefer mine over the completely dry...

MSilvia
11-30-2007, 13:33
Why not just learn how to use a snorkle? If it gets water in it, clear it. Cheap and simple.

I have a dry snorkle and a "black tube" snorkle, and I don't have a strong preference for one over the other.

IrishSquid
11-30-2007, 19:28
my wife swears by her dry snorkel, but I have a Tusa snorkel with a splash deflector... I hate hers - if you are breathing in and water splashes the actuator, you can no longer breathe in... whereas mine, if water splashes in, the design keeps as little as possible from actually making it down the tube to my mouth, the little water that does sits in the bottom of the large mouthpiece, I sense the water, then purge it myself...

either way works, I guess, I just prefer mine over the completely dry...

I had the same experience. Got rid of it! When I use a snorkel, I use a Tusa Edge? or my Wal-mart U.S.Divers. I'm not even sure of the brands, that's how important it isn't. Just need a tube with good air flow. :smiley2:

Cambria
12-01-2007, 01:32
Hi,

Thanks

Adam.

I have the Scubatoys snorkel. I used to have a Scubapro Laguna which is similar to the Barracuda.

To answer your questions:
1. It works as advertised and keeps pretty much all the water out. It (like all dry snorkels) can be annoying to breath through though. If you are inhaling when the flapper shuts, it will stay sealed until you stop inhaling and let the suction off. If it is really choppy and shutting all the time it messes up your breathing rhythm. On the other hand you could be repeatedly sucking in water.

2. The harder you inhale, the stronger the lock is.

3. The Scubatoys snorkel comes with a deflector style top as well. If you don't like the dry top you can swap them out.

davieeeee
12-01-2007, 16:56
In regards to the Aeris, my LDS mentioned that it does work as stated, but he does not like the fact that it is made of harder plastics and moving parts as he thinks it will break alot easier (mainly shore divers here)

kev99
12-01-2007, 19:22
I have a Body Glove dry snorkel that came with an old snorkel kit. It works great in my opinion because if I tilt my head to much and dip the top in the water or if the water splashes or chops, it shuts off immediately and does not let water in. I like it.

I have a Scubapro "semi-dry" that I absolutely hate. I got it with a kit the LDS had when we first bought some items for our open water class; fins, mask, snorkel, boots combo package price deal. It is "semi-dry" because it has a baffle at the top which in theory is supposed to divert most of the water down the side of the tube instead of in the tube itself if any happens to reach that area. It does not work well for me because when I used it in training, it would immediately flood if the top dipped under the water line and then I got a nice big gulp of quarry water. Because I did not take any air in, (water instead) I had a hard time clearing it. It has a large bottom section and is supposed to be easy to purge, but did not seem so for me after repeated attempts, i.e., I practiced trying to clear it. This is my opinion though based on my personal experience and what I find is easier for me.

Flatliner
12-01-2007, 19:37
OK, I wouldn't post this on SB due to the total ridicule I would instantly recieve but, I have an Impulse II that I TOTALLY COMPLETLY HATE. It is a traditional snorkel. On the other hand my daughter has a dry body glove from a snorkeling kit that I have used a few times in the Keys and as soon as I have a few bucks to waist, I will be buying a dry snorkel for myself.

Please all, spare me the lecture on learning to snorkel correctly. I know how to use a snorkel correctly. It's just if there is a great technological solution to a problem I have experienced (ie water in the snorkel, for whatever reason) why shouldn't I use it. It's not that I CANT clear a snorkel, its WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO.

Buy the dry snorkels. If you are going to use a snorkel you will enjoy them.

scubajane
12-01-2007, 20:52
ok not meaning to change the subject but.... what about the folding snorkels. I hate having the tube stuck to the side of my face when I'm underwater. i catch it in my peripheral vision and think it's a barracuda

mm2002
12-02-2007, 17:43
I hate the dry snorkels. They aren't supposed to let water in, but they WILL> and when they do, they're almost impossible to clear.

TRACI
12-03-2007, 08:25
I know I should probably be diving with a snorkel, but it seems like it really gets in the way. Some day I may regret not wearing one.

MSilvia
12-03-2007, 08:29
Some day I may regret not wearing one.Yes, and someday monkeys might fly out of my bum.

mitsuguy
12-03-2007, 10:26
I know I should probably be diving with a snorkel, but it seems like it really gets in the way. Some day I may regret not wearing one.

I don't even notice mine is there once underwater... I guess part depends on which snorkel you have - mine rotates out of the way and is very slim...

My biggest reason for having it is that I like to swim and look down without using tank air... However in rough seas, I could see it being beneficial there too...

mm2002
12-03-2007, 18:49
... However in rough seas, I could see it being beneficial there too...

I don't know about that. Although I don't have tons of scuba experience, I've done a lot of snorkeling. In real rough water, a snorkel can drown you.

Shortyman801
12-15-2007, 19:39
One more question. I want to do some short free dives to clean a couple barnacles off of my prop shaft on my sailboat in between cleanings. I would really rather not rent SCUBA equipment for a short 10 min. dive. Would it be better to buy the "Totally Dry Snorkel", and use the Semi-dry top (so I don't get pulled up by the air pocket) or should I stick with the 4.95 Space snorkel?

mm2002
12-15-2007, 19:42
Never mind........

mm2002
12-15-2007, 19:46
One more question. I want to do some short free dives to clean a couple barnacles off of my prop shaft on my sailboat in between cleanings. I would really rather not rent SCUBA equipment for a short 10 min. dive. Would it be better to buy the "Totally Dry Snorkel", and use the Semi-dry top (so I don't get pulled up by the air pocket) or should I stick with the 4.95 Space snorkel?

Ok, so I'll say it............your snorkel holds enough air to pull you up???

Shortyman801
12-15-2007, 19:49
Well, I don't know. But, I have heard that having a dry snorkel can cause +bouyancy and can pull up on your mask creating leaks.

mm2002
12-15-2007, 19:57
Well, I never wear a snorkel, but I guess I could see some logic behind that. If your snorkel traps enough air to pull on the mask strap, it could theoretically make a leak. I never thought about it. Why don't you just get one of those fold up snorkels and put it in your BC pocket? I was going to do that too, but with a full pack of hot dogs and a flashlight, there's not enough room left in mine for a snorkel.

Shortyman801
12-15-2007, 19:58
Fold-up snorkel=$$$$$
What I don't have=$$$$$

mm2002
12-15-2007, 19:59
crap, I forgot that I did have a snorkel on in my pic. That probably threw ya off eh? That was during OW class before I realized that we didn't have to have them.:smiley36:

mm2002
12-15-2007, 19:59
Then leave it at home. Problem solved!:smiley36:

Shortyman801
12-15-2007, 20:06
I didn't really plan on using it during dives unless it was going to be choppy. But I do want to use it for short dives on my boat between full cleanings.

PsychDiver
12-17-2007, 01:18
What I don't like about many dry snorkels is they are top heavy and tend to flip.

Mycroft
12-18-2007, 11:21
The type of dry snorkel I have works well. The Oceanmaster. But I heard they went out of business?

NitroWill
12-18-2007, 11:27
I highly prefer a standard snorkel. In fact, I have a dry snorkel thats been sitting in my closet for years. Send me $20 and it's yours :smiley20:

MSilvia
12-18-2007, 11:28
Fold-up snorkel=$$$$$
What I don't have=$$$$$
I don't care enough about having a snorkle to bother myself, but it seems to me you could quickly DIY a folding snorkle for "$" instead of "$$$$$".