PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Housing storage - open or closed?

Roughwater
11-30-2007, 02:38
Hi,

I'm just wondering what people do when they store their underwater housing for their camera. Do you keep it closed/sealed, or do you leave it open?

And... is there any reason?

Ta

Adam

dbh
11-30-2007, 08:03
I take my o-ring out, lightly lube it and store it in a plastic bag. I close my housing (with the plastic bag inside so I don't forget to reinstall it prior to use) so dust does not accumulate inside of the housing or in the o-ring groove.

HTH,
Dave

LI Diver
11-30-2007, 08:51
Dosent all the handling of the o-ring open up more possibilities for damage? I also thought about this versus leaving it in and closing housing but worry about compressing the o-ring all the time?? Does it take a set??

diversteve
11-30-2007, 15:55
Hi,

I'm just wondering what people do when they store their underwater housing for their camera. Do you keep it closed/sealed, or do you leave it open?

And... is there any reason?
I store mine for short intervals (less than 6 mos) with the orings in place and the door closed but not latched. Longer than that I'd probably remove it and replace it with a new one next dive. So far that hasn't happened.

Dosent all the handling of the o-ring open up more possibilities for damage? I also thought about this versus leaving it in and closing housing but worry about compressing the o-ring all the time?? Does it take a set??Yes, it will over time. There was another post about this recently, the consensus was replace the o-ring.

DougNR
12-01-2007, 12:49
I take my o-ring out, lightly lube it and store it in a plastic bag.

Good advise for enclosures that call for rings to be lubed, but not all do. Flat sealing gaskets usually just need a good cleaning.

I never store the enclosure latched. I think the chance of deforming the gasket is greater than the risk of damaging it from removal. Rings could be a toss up on removal depending on how deep the groove. Never try to dig a ring out with a sharp instrument - just push the ring along with the thumb and forefinger of one hand until you create a slight loop poping out of the groove and pull it out gently with the other.

Doug

dannybot
12-08-2007, 18:48
Dosent all the handling of the o-ring open up more possibilities for damage? I also thought about this versus leaving it in and closing housing but worry about compressing the o-ring all the time?? Does it take a set??

Possibly, but to fly, you must remove the O-ring. So I usually fly to dive destinations, and once home give one more good cleaning, and when dry thuroughly for a few days, put close the case with the o ring in a bag inside. Just like DBH said.

ReefHound
12-08-2007, 20:30
Possibly, but to fly, you must remove the O-ring.

Why is that?

ScubaJW
12-10-2007, 21:42
I find this discussion interesting!

I fly often, and I never take my o-ring out of the housing except when I put some silicone on it to make sure its lubed. It stays closed all the times, and I've never had issues.

azdiver
12-16-2007, 16:46
i usually store it closed but not latched. i have a spare o-ring that i store in a plastic bag marked spare and the one that i use for diving stored in another bag... marked for diving! that way i don't confuse them and know that i always have one that has not been used as a backup when i travel.... :-)

divedeeper
12-16-2007, 22:51
My wife and I just bought each other a new digital cam and housing for a shared Christmas present. Where do we get the lube for the o-ring? My wife is very interested in underwater photography (as am I), so look for lots of posted questions as she (we) explore a new component to our new hobby (diving).

Thanks
Dive Deeper

RonFrank
12-16-2007, 23:18
I follow the manufactures recommendations. In the case of both my Canon and Ikelite housing, they recommend storing the housing minus the oring. Once the oring is removed, it really does not matter much if the case is opened or closed.

The answer some questions.

Don't fly with the housing sealed because the drop in pressure can result in a vacuum and it may be difficult to open.

The oring should be lightly lubed with silicon. I do that after each day of diving.

Keeping the oring in the housing and latched will eventually result in the oring flattening out or deforming.

Not all orings are round, some are flat. Follow your manufactures recommendation for storing the housing, and keep a spare oring on hand. Inspect the oring carefully for damage, and replace it as necessary.

RonFrank
12-16-2007, 23:26
Where do we get the lube for the o-ring?

Thanks
Dive Deeper

Most LDS's carry silicon. Your housing should have come with some. Most manufactures recommend using their brand of silicon, but I believe that any manufacture should work for most housings. Manufactures include Ikelite, Sea & sea, etc.

You can also use Silicon that comes in save a dive kits, but I'd go ahead and buy one specifically designed for camera orings even if it's likely the same stuff.

azdiver
12-17-2007, 16:52
which housing did you buy? usually they come with silicone. if not, i would just go to a lda and buy a tube by sea and sea. you can also find it on most websites that carry underwater photo equipment.