PDA

View Full Version : What is the break even point on tanks buy V rent?

HoosierDaddy
07-10-2007, 07:57
What is the break even point on tanks? Buy V Rent?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How many dives do I need to do a year over how many years to break even or end up ahead on buying tanks and paying air, Hydro and Viz V. renting a tank each time I dive?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I know it will depend on the tank size and material also the cost of air refill adn rental, but in general about how many dives would be required.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My wife and I have all of our gear, with the exception of tanks. I have been close to making the buy a few times but cant let myself do it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dive 20-30 times per year, but would love to dive more.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Any thoughts?</DIV>

brutus_scuba
07-10-2007, 08:13
More important than how often you dive is how often you dive places where you would take your own tank. If you fly often to your dive destinations you would not include those dives. Also what is the going rate for tank rentals in your area? I would have to pay 10 dollars a day for a rental. Because that includes first fill ($6) I really only see it as 4 dollars a day. Visual Inspections at 25 dollars a year mean you need to dive the tank 9 times (different days) that year to break even. If you include initial cost and hydro every five years you need more dives.

Of course all that above is related to the Aluminum 80 only. If you want a steel tank for boyancy, size, valume or whatever than you take the direct cost benefit analysis away and decide if the cost of the tank is worth it in order to extend bottom time, or wear less lead.

Illini_Fan
07-10-2007, 08:54
I'm still new (less than 40 dives) and everyone I talked to as I was buying my gear said "don't buy tanks -- they should be the last thing on your list and when they get to the top of the list, add more stuff to the list and drop the tanks back down".

I own 2 AL80 tanks :)

I did that primarily for the points that Brutus_Scuba points out. Certain local sites have no compressors so you would be renting multiple tanks to dive those sites. Other sites that do have compressors are getting more and more expensive to do air fills (mine are free at home).

I don't think from pure economical standpoint that I'll actually recoup the cost of the tanks, but the flexibility of having two tanks in the gear room ready to go, is hard to put a price on.

TwIsTeD
07-10-2007, 09:38
I did that primarily for the points that Brutus_Scuba points out. Certain local sites have no compressors so you would be renting multiple tanks to dive those sites. Other sites that do have compressors are getting more and more expensive to do air fills (mine are free at home).

I don't think from pure economical standpoint that I'll actually recoup the cost of the tanks, but the flexibility of having two tanks in the gear room ready to go, is hard to put a price on.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How can you count the cost of a compressor as free? I guess you could if it was given to you, but at $3K for the rest of us it's a real expense.</DIV>

Wolfie2012
07-10-2007, 09:42

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How can you count the cost of a compressor as free? I guess you could if it was given to you, but at $3K for the rest of us it's a real expense.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I believe he's saying that he gets air fills for free at his local shop, not that compressors are free.</DIV>

Illini_Fan
07-10-2007, 10:36
[/QUOTE]
<div></div>
<div>I believe he's saying that he gets air fills for free at his local shop, not that compressors are free.</div>[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

TxHockeyGuy
07-10-2007, 12:05
I say get tanks, at least 2. I would love to buy more but funds need to go elsewhere at the moment. It is a major pain to have to rent a tank by going up to the shop before and after each dive outing. It's even more of pain to have to haul your tank to a fill station between every single dive. Two tanks is so much more convenient, I'd like to have 4.

mike_s
07-10-2007, 12:47
Factor in all of the above (cost of rent vs air fill, visual costs, hydro costs).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Don't forget to factor in o2 cleaning costs if you do nitrox partial pressure filling.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Then like Reefhound said, factor in the cost of auto gas is $3/gallon to make that 2nd trip to return the tank.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
But to me the real benefit of owning tanks is convience and having the tank you want (steel, certain size, etc).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Example: You want to go diving saturday morning. If you have to drive 30 minutes out of your way to pick up a rental tank and then 30 minutes back, you've spend at least $10 extra bucks in gas and taken up a minimum of an hour or more of your time. Then you have to do the same thing to get the tank returned in the allotted rental time. It's just a huge hassle.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You still have to go in to get fills, but you can do it on your time and during the work week, etc. When it doesn't interfere with 'dive time'.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The other advantage is that if you want a tank besides an AL80, it's harder to rent them. So if you want a steel HP100 or HP120 or a set of doubles, you really want your own tanks.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The initial cost might be higher, but it sure is nice not having to go to the hassle of rental tanks.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

medic001918
07-10-2007, 12:56
I have to agree with others that if you want to dive more often, having your own tanks is a good way to do it. I only had one tank for a while and found it to be a hassleto do a two tank dive. Not only did I have to go rent a tank, but my tank was steel and it's difficult to find steel rental tanks. I keep our tanks filled and ready to go as much as I can. And I find that by doing so, we dive more often. We have all steel tanks in my house. The Mrs. has a pair of steel HP100's. I have a LP95 and a pair of LP108's.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Now if only the shop closest to the house had an air-fill card for Nitrox...they only offer them up for air unfortunately. So sometimes the fills add up quickly. Especially when filling all five with Nitrox.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shane</DIV>

cummings66
07-10-2007, 16:27
To me owning a tank is like owning a plane, you may never break even but you can use it when you want for as long as you want.

Priceless, and worth owning for just that reason alone in my book. Forget about breaking even.

bobbin-along
07-10-2007, 18:32
For us, we chose to buy our tanks as we wanted larger steel (which cost more to rent when you can find them) cylinders and several of them since we live over an hour from the LDS and dive3 daysa week.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We bought the HP100 and 119's for 289 each from the LDS and have figured out that we broke even in the first year. That includes diving 3 days a week with an average of 6 dives a week. We do crack our tanks twicea year to clean them and check them out. We pay the 20$ annual VIP fee for the spring inspection, but we choose to do the second inspection in August ourselves.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>For bubble addicts, buying tanks usually makes good sense. For occasional users rentals can be a better choice. Just do a gross cost analysis like the guys have described above and figure out if it makes sense for you.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

the mann
07-10-2007, 18:37
For me, the tank is the first thing to buy. Realy if you plan it on 5 years and you buy a new tank the real cost is something about 200$ fot the tank plus 75$ for the visual for 5 years plus 25$ for the first hydro, that 300$.

After 5 years, the tank is still good an you will be able to sell it for 125-150$ (new hydro and new visual) the tank cost you, if you sell it ony 150$, that mean 30$/year. Renting a tank cost about 5$ but you have to ad and other 5$ minimum for the gas required to bring them back, that 10$ every time you rent one. If you follow my logic, if you do 3 dives a years with your own tank it's better to buy it. If you keep the tank for 10 to 15 years it's even better.

scubadiver
07-10-2007, 20:53
To me owning a tank is like owning a plane, you may never break even but you can use it when you want for as long as you want.

Priceless, and worth owning for just that reason alone in my book. Forget about breaking even.

This is the best advice here. You've got to have full tanks waiting in the garage. When you do go out and finally buy them, don't waste your time with aluminum either, buy steel.

GLENFWB
07-10-2007, 22:04
What is the break even point on tanks?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I went through the same financial exercise as you are doing a year ago. I was still on the fence trying to justify the numbers when I ended up missing two dive opportunities because I couldn't get tanks. My LDS is 5 minutes from my house andin spite of that,sometimes it is difficult to get the tanks or drop them off in the time alotted. So, I took the plunge and bought a steel tank. I have NOT regretted it one minute! If you are going to dive on a regular basis I vote with those who say, BUY THE TANK(S)!</DIV>

loudgonzo
07-11-2007, 08:19
....not to mention also that owning your own tanks, you can jazz them up to your liking!! Tank color, stickers etc...

somewhereinla
07-11-2007, 09:58
I own a steel 100HP tank and I am about to get a second one. A stell tank will last you a very, very long time if you take proper care of it, like rinsing it as well as all of your other gear. Also I have never paid more that $3 for air, and many time they don't even charge me. I only pay $5-$6 for air on a boat.

CompuDude
07-11-2007, 14:28
It's all about convenience, and diving on your schedule. You may only do 30 dives a year now, but when it suddenly becomes easy to dive, you may find you're diving a lot more than before! At that point, the break-even point comes a lot sooner than expected.

I keep my tanks full, and fill them at my leisure. I night dive after work fairly frequently, and if a buddy calls and says "hey, let dive tonight!" I don't have to worry about making it to the shop before they close, spending $10+ in rentals, and then getting them back to the shop the following night. Instead, I drop them off overnight at a place near work during lunch, and I'm ready to go the next day. Once the weekend comes, I'm ready to go diving ... with one less trip to make to get ready.

jpsexton
07-12-2007, 09:03
It's really a matter of convenience to me. I like having tanks ready to go without having to run to the shop.

liuk3
07-12-2007, 17:09
<DIV>We bought the HP100 and 119's for 289 each from the LDS </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Where do you live and what shop? Is the $289 before or after taxes?</DIV>

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 20:18
<div>We bought the HP100 and 119's for 289 each from the LDS </div>
<div></div>
<div>Where do you live and what shop? Is the $289 before or after taxes?</div>
I guarantee you that's not a current price... based on the story, that's minimum of a year ago.

If I'm wrong, though, please PM me immediately! :D

przeor
07-13-2007, 00:22
That price is about what we paid here for 130's and 100's. I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure my 130's were 290-295 ish and the 100s were around 260-275 (my wife thinks they were even less..)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We got our tanks back in April/May- and yes they are new. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Correction... 240 for the 130's and 190 for the 100's</DIV>

cummings66
07-13-2007, 08:13
OK, so we need to know where this place is, those are some very nice prices.

frankc420
07-13-2007, 10:30
I say get tanks, at least 2. I would love to buy more but funds need to go elsewhere at the moment. It is a major pain to have to rent a tank by going up to the shop before and after each dive outing. It's even more of pain to have to haul your tank to a fill station between every single dive. Two tanks is so much more convenient, I'd like to have 4.

Buy 2 steels and you have your 4 dives :P

frankc420
07-13-2007, 10:33
I own 2 AL80's and a HP130. Plenty of air for me.

I find it is very convenient to not have to head to the dive shop to get an air fill before I go on dive trip.

HoosierDaddy
07-13-2007, 15:52
Well, Thanks for all of the replies. I have decided to buy tanks, just not wure how many, what kind or when.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Both my wife and I dive, although I dive much more often. So it looks like a min or 2, most likely 4 tanks. I thinkAL 80 is the way to go? Maybe?</DIV>

cummings66
07-13-2007, 16:25
4 tanks if it's for you and the wife. AL are fine for what they are, a cheap tank to dive with. Personally I'd go for steel, but one of them is 2 al tanks, and the important thing is to have tanks for when you want them.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 16:33
I agree, 4 tanks is the way to go, and that's a lot to buy all at once, so the cheaper Al.80s might be your best option, although used steel is worth considering. Perhaps 2 of each, budget allowing, and share?

That said, Al.80s have their place in certain circumstances (mostly warm water diving in salt water and in no more than a 3mm wetsuit), so it's hard to give a perfectly-matched recommendation without knowing more about your diving.

przeor
07-13-2007, 17:57
Ok, correction on the prices I posted....
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>HP 100s were $240 HP 80s $190 and the HP130s were around $270</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>PM if you want info on them- I should be able to get some at that price in October at the earliest. Compudude- I'll shoot you a reply in a second..</DIV>

aramisun
07-13-2007, 20:55
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>PM if you want info on them- I should be able to get some at that price in October at the earliest. Compudude- I'll shoot you a reply in a second..</DIV>
<DIV>Those are good prices. For that price I would buy a bunchtoday.</DIV>
<DIV>Also to take into account when doing the cost analysis is that you can usually sell the tanks (if they are steel) for a pretty good price.</DIV>

skidiver
08-08-2007, 12:16
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

PM sent.

mike_s
08-08-2007, 12:25
BTW... I noticed that Divers Direct has HP100's on sale right now for $249.

They had AL80's on sale 2 weeks ago for $134. might still be on sale as their sales run pretyt long.

LP has them for a crazy price of $114(as of yesterday). You won't see it his low. (note: I'd ask them the hydro date since they are so cheap, there's got to be a reason).

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 12:31

They had AL80's on sale 2 weeks ago for $134. might still be on sale as their sales run pretyt long.

LP has them for a crazy price of $114(as of yesterday). You won't see it his low. (note: I'd ask them the hydro date since they are so cheap, there's got to be a reason).

Are you kidding me? Dang, that is low! Maybe we should buy a bunch and wait 'til the price goes up.

Looks like the DD HP 100s are 349 now

skidiver
08-08-2007, 12:39

Do you have a link for the DD $249 sale? The ones I find online are $349.

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 13:20
Yeah, DD has Faber (Blue Steel) HP100s for $350 (http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Blue%20Steel%20FX100%20Steel%20Cylinder%20(3442%20 PSI)_ID44530), which is hardly an amazing price.

LeisurePro has Worthgton (XS Scuba) HP100s for $345 (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_962/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/XSSHP.html?Hit=1).

Am I missing something?

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 13:25
Compudude, LP has the AL80s for 114 bucks, not the HP tanks.

mike_s
08-08-2007, 13:56
Yeah, DD has Faber (Blue Steel) HP100s for $350 (http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Blue%20Steel%20FX100%20Steel%20Cylinder%20(3442%20 PSI)_ID44530), which is hardly an amazing price.

Am I missing something?

Look again grasshopper.... :smiley20:

Faber FX-100 (HP100) for $249 (http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=44530&Template=9990000096000999&Group=128)

AL80's for $114 at Leisure Pro (http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=GNSTA80YL)

BTW..... I bout some of the FX-100's last time they had them on sale. I'm pretty darn happy with the tanks. They actually had free shipping on them at that time also, so it was a KILLER DEAL.

One minor note that you should always check when buying any tank, is the original (and last) hydro date. You should check this even on new tanks. For example, your average LDS might have tanks that are easily 2 years old, but they are asking $200 for an AL80. Well in this case with the FX-100's that are on sale, they are last years manufacture/hydro date. So ask them when you call them what the date is. I did this and they told me 2006 hydro. Well saving over $100 bucks per tank and it being one year old to me wasn't a problem. But some people don't think to check this before they buy a tank and then don't like the outcome, even if they saved $100 bucks. FYI.

MEL-DC Diver
08-08-2007, 14:05

Am I missing something?

Faber FX-100 (HP100) for $249 (http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/ecatalogisapi.dll/Item?Item=44530&Template=9990000096000999&Group=128)

AL80's for $114 at Leisure Pro (http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=GNSTA80YL)

BTW..... I bout some of the FX-100's last time they had them on sale. I'm pretty darn happy with the tanks. They actually had free shipping on them at that time also, so it was a KILLER DEAL.

One minor note that you should always check when buying any tank, is the original (and last) hydro date. You should check this even on new tanks. For example, your average LDS might have tanks that are easily 2 years old, but they are asking $200 for an AL80. Well in this case with the FX-100's that are on sale, they are last years manufacture/hydro date. So ask them when you call them what the date is. I did this and they told me 2006 hydro. Well saving over $100 bucks per tank and it being one year old to me wasn't a problem. But some people don't think to check this before they buy a tank and then don't like the outcome, even if they saved $100 bucks. FYI.

I see it, but the same tank on the tanks page is 100 more. Maybe it has something to do with the FINADDICTS? What is that? Did you get a link is some special DD email?

mike_s
08-08-2007, 14:16
I see it, but the same tank on the tanks page is 100 more. Maybe it has something to do with the FINADDICTS? What is that? Did you get a link is some special DD email?

Correct. They don't publish that price/link. Sign up for their emails and you'll get about one a month with deals like that. You can join by putting your email address in the field at the top right of that page and clicking submit.

Some are good deals, some aren't.

For example this month they have the Tusa RS-230 for $149. that's a pretty good deal for that reg.

BTW... a few more notes about this tank.

1.) it doesn't come with that big Blue Steel logo on it. (thank goodness).
2.) It doesn't come o2 clean, even if faber advertises it. Mine were filthy so no way they were O2 clean.
3.) I think the DIN valve is only 5 threads (200 or 220 bar) instead of 7 (300 bar), but that's acceptible since it's lower bar.
4.) Divers Direct will either put a few psi (40-50psi) in the tank and put the valve on it and an air VIS sticker and ship it that way or will leave the valve off and put it loose in the box. If they leave it loose in the box, it comes only in a plastic bag and "bounces around" inside the box. It chipped the pain on the next of one of my tanks and also on someone elses. just FYI.

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 14:36
Nice. I only wish I liked Faber tanks. I decided some time ago to stick with galvanized, however, as they're better for ocean waters, IMO.

I'll pick them up used on occasion if the price is right, but I still prefer Worthingtons.

mike_s
08-08-2007, 14:54
Nice. I only wish I liked Faber tanks. I decided some time ago to stick with galvanized, however, as they're better for ocean waters, IMO.

I'll pick them up used on occasion if the price is right, but I still prefer Worthingtons.

Actually I agree with you on the Worthingtons. I prefer them because they have a better coating (galvanized) and also I like their valves a little better...

but this was an easy math preference on dollars.

Worthington HP-100 ............... $345
Tax charged by City.................$ 31
shipping charge.......................$ 30
--------------------------------------
Cost per X7-100.................. $406 per tank

So two Worthington X7-100 tanks are $812 total.

New FX-100 from Divers Direct with free shipping .... $249
Two of them, $498

Difference in cost --> $314

So seeing how it saved me over $300 to buy the Faber brand over the same tank from Worthington, it was an easy choice. It dives just as good!

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 15:43

Actually I agree with you on the Worthingtons. I prefer them because they have a better coating (galvanized) and also I like their valves a little better...

but this was an easy math preference on dollars.

Worthington HP-100 ............... $345
Tax charged by City.................$ 31
shipping charge.......................$ 30
--------------------------------------
Cost per X7-100.................. $406 per tank

So two Worthington X7-100 tanks are $812 total.

New FX-100 from Divers Direct with free shipping .... $249
Two of them, $498

Difference in cost --> $314

So seeing how it saved me over $300 to buy the Faber brand over the same tank from Worthington, it was an easy choice. It dives just as good!
Oh, definitely, from a cost standpoint the Fabers (at that price, at least) are the way to go.

I have enough tanks. For now. (that disclaimer won't be going away any time soon!) So unless it's an absurdly spectacular deal, I can afford to bide my time and wait for a great deal on the tanks I really want.

2x Worthington HP100s
1x Worthington HP119 (great for boats)
1x Faber LP95 (great for boats with cruddy compressors, or shops that will overfill... also the only Faber tank I own)
1x PST LP80 (mostly a loaner)
2x Catalina Al.80s (doubled up)

The HP100s will be doubled soon... so eventually I'll want another pair for singles. But I have enough other tanks to choose from I'm in no hurry to buy a less-preferred tank just because it's a decent price.

mike_s
08-08-2007, 16:35
I wouldn't mind a HP119 and maybe a LP95 or LP108.

I'm slowly reducing my "inventory" of AL80's though :D

mike_s
08-13-2007, 10:23

BTW..... I bought some of the FX-100's last time they had them on sale. I'm pretty darn happy with the tanks. They actually had free shipping on them at that time also, so it was a KILLER DEAL.

FYI... For anyone interested in this tank, I just got a promo code that will give you an extra 15% off. use promo code of SB10. (saw this on Scubaboard but thought I'd share it here).

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 12:27

BTW..... I bought some of the FX-100's last time they had them on sale. I'm pretty darn happy with the tanks. They actually had free shipping on them at that time also, so it was a KILLER DEAL.

FYI... For anyone interested in this tank, I just got a promo code that will give you an extra 15% off. use promo code of SB10. (saw this on Scubaboard but thought I'd share it here).
Gack. $212 each? You're giving my anti-Faber stance a hard time, here...

mike_s
08-13-2007, 12:38

Well... like I said, I like the worthington's better because of their default valve and the galvanized finnish,

but this puts the FX-100 about 1/2 the price of the Worthington.

It's got me wanting to buy more! Damn them!!!!

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 13:23

Well... like I said, I like the worthington's better because of their default valve and the galvanized finnish,

Exactly. And it since I would probably buy them to double up, the valve is irrelevant, and the cost savings even more impressive! I like the Galv. finish better, too, but... dang!

RonFrank
08-13-2007, 13:29
If you are going to purchase, just pick up some AL80's. They work for 99% of the world diving population, and will work for you! :smiley20:

Steel has it's place, but I see more an more tech divers going to double AL80's both due to the weight, and durability. Steel WILL rust, they are expensive, and it's difficult to get a good fill in an HP tank. Many LDS's just won't pump up the volume past 3000psi.

There are times to use Steel. One example is Jupiter, FL, where an 80' flat profile is common, and on Nitrox one wants 45 minutes of BT. A good Steel HP 100 is my choice, but only because the AL 100's have a different form factor, and adjusting CAM bands is a PITA.

If one is doing serious Deco diving at depths over 200', than steel is generally used because one can get 240cf of air in a package not much larger than two AL80's.

If you are NOT doing profiles similar to those listed above, AL80's will work fine.

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 14:06
If you are going to purchase, just pick up some AL80's. They work for 99% of the world diving population, and will work for you! :smiley20:

Steel has it's place, but I see more an more tech divers going to double AL80's both due to the weight, and durability. Steel WILL rust, they are expensive, and it's difficult to get a good fill in an HP tank. Many LDS's just won't pump up the volume past 3000psi.

There are times to use Steel. One example is Jupiter, FL, where an 80' flat profile is common, and on Nitrox one wants 45 minutes of BT. A good Steel HP 100 is my choice, but only because the AL 100's have a different form factor, and adjusting CAM bands is a PITA.

If one is doing serious Deco diving at depths over 200', than steel is generally used because one can get 240cf of air in a package not much larger than two AL80's.

If you are NOT doing profiles similar to those listed above, AL80's will work fine.
I think that's a pretty big reach to say only those two instances justify steel. Double Al.80s have their place (I have a pair, in fact), but double HP100s are nearly the perfect doubles, IMO, in addition to nearly the perfect singles. Even at 3000 psi you have 87 cf of gas, roughly 10% more than an Al.80, and most boats around here fill to at least 3300, if not more, giving you 96 cf (per tank... that's 154.8 cf for Al.80s vs. 174 or more likely 192 cf.). That's not insignificant. I know AG, for one, has stated he thinks double HP100s are the perfect doubles for the kind of diving we do out here in CA. The fact that I can drop 4 lbs off my belt and lose the 6 lb v-weight (net loss of lead: 10 lbs) is an added bonus.

Note: Those are boat fills. For any serious technical dive, you can be sure I'll drive the extra distance (if needed) to take my tanks to a shop that will give me a proper fill, and whatever fill I get, that will be part of my plan.

Al.80s work quite well for light technical diving. But for anything more serious... and pretty any time, for that matter, I'd rather have more gas than less... and drop that 10 pounds.

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 14:33

Exactly. And it since I would probably buy them to double up, the valve is irrelevant, and the cost savings even more impressive! I like the Galv. finish better, too, but... dang!
I'm not sure whether to hug you or hate you.

I have two on the way, and my credit card balance is $439 higher... :smiley29:

At least I don't have to double up my Worthington HP100s now!

mike_s
08-13-2007, 15:01
BTW... They don't come with that big ugly "Blue Steel" logo on the side that you see on DiverDirect's web page.... (thank goodness!!!) Just plain white. FYI.

(there's a small (about the size of a nickel from a train track sqqishing) faber logo on the side near where the tank curves up the neck though).

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 15:03
BTW... They don't come with that big ugly "Blue Steel" logo on the side that you see on DiverDirect's web page.... (thank goodness!!!) Just plain white. FYI.

(there's a small (about the size of a nickel from a train track sqqishing) faber logo on the side near where the tank curves up the neck though).
Should be interesting to see the hydro date. At this price I'm fine if they're a year out, but the nice lady I spoke to said they were new from the factory, so most likely very current on hydro. Extra score. :)

mike_s
08-13-2007, 15:07

Should be interesting to see the hydro date. At this price I'm fine if they're a year out, but the nice lady I spoke to said they were new from the factory, so most likely very current on hydro. Extra score. :)

Mine were new from the factory and also a year out on hydro. (I checked before ordering) But for the price it was still worth it.

(apparently there was some excess inventory sitting around somewhere and they are using Divers Direct to liquidate it. (just an assumption on my part)).

I can get a hydro done at our local hydro facility for somewhere in the ballpark of about $15 bucks. So that's $3/year cost for hydro. I would have still bought them if they were getting ready to expire hydro for what they are on deal for now.

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 15:14
Yup.

Now I just have to figure out how to explain to my wife that I just bought two more tanks that will be sitting around the house... oy!

mike_s
08-13-2007, 15:19
Yup.

Now I just have to figure out how to explain to my wife that I just bought two more tanks that will be sitting around the house... oy!

Does she know the difference in your new tanks and old tanks?

A friend of mine bought some and didn't have any worries about that because he said his wife didn't know the difference between the new tanks and the old tanks in the garage..... :smilie39:

Centerius
08-13-2007, 15:25
I just bought two FX-100s. Thanks for the link. I'll let you know how they are when they show up. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention I got hit with tax since I'm in Florida :(.

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 15:36
Yup.

Does she know the difference in your new tanks and old tanks?

A friend of mine bought some and didn't have any worries about that because he said his wife didn't know the difference between the new tanks and the old tanks in the garage..... :smilie39:
LOL

I wish I had a garage, it would be easier to hide stuff! Condo living has it's downside...

So far she hasn't really noticed, but that's because I never have all my tanks at home at once. They're usually half in the car and a couple at home, and a couple in the shop waiting for pickup after a fill (I often leave them for a few days on purpose!).

There's a good chance she'll notice a new, WHITE pair of doubles, though. Perhaps that one will just have to live permanently in the car for a while! LOL

Buoyant1
08-13-2007, 20:46
I took that factor out of the equation...I looked at it from a convenience standpoint. Instead of needing to get to the dive shop the night before, and make sure I drop them off either late the day I'm diving, or the night after, I can get them filled Monday, and leave sit until Wednesday night (when I usually dive) then pop in maybe Friday if I'm diving on the weekend, etc. Last year it was a chore to make sure I got them back in time.

BusDiver
08-13-2007, 21:00

Boy do I second, third, and fourth this statement. I own two steel 100's. Oh boy do I love just grabbing them and going. I keep them filled and know that I will dive 2 plus times a week with them. I am not worried about the break even point, I love the convenience of having the tanks available 24/7.

Plus I love my LDS and enjoy the conversations at the shop while the tanks get filled.

CompuDude
08-14-2007, 11:52
I took that factor out of the equation...I looked at it from a convenience standpoint. Instead of needing to get to the dive shop the night before, and make sure I drop them off either late the day I'm diving, or the night after, I can get them filled Monday, and leave sit until Wednesday night (when I usually dive) then pop in maybe Friday if I'm diving on the weekend, etc. Last year it was a chore to make sure I got them back in time.
I'm fortunate enough to work a couple of blocks from two scuba shops. Weekends are a different story, although I rarely shore dive more than one day and boats here have compressors so again no prob, but generally I just drop off my tanks Monday during lunch and pick them up Tuesday during lunch, ready to rock. Ditto if I do a night dive during the work week... just drop them off at lunch, and pick them up the next day. (Or that evening, if I ever do back-to-back dive nights.) Super simple. But it totally wouldn't work as well (for weekends, at least) if I needed to rent tanks. Entirely aside from the fact that I loathe Aluminum tanks and neither place near my work rents steel.

mike_s
08-14-2007, 13:55
I wish I had a garage, it would be easier to hide stuff! Condo living has it's downside...

At least tanks you can tuck into a closet in a condo.

When I lived in a Condo, I used to keep my Kayak in the middle of my living room floor in front of the TV and fireplace. (That's the only room I could get it to fit in).

liuk3
08-14-2007, 16:35
wow, you guys are killing me with these prices. i just bought 2 hp100s and thought i got a good deal, but you guys are giving me buyer's remorse with the pricing of those tanks.

Black-Gorrilla
08-14-2007, 17:51
i think im gonna have to order about 6 of those HP 100's (or 80's) for my brother, his girl, and me... thats too good of a deal. the 80's are 200 bux!!
hope he's up for it... we can get rid of 4 al80's for some good money still, all fresh hydro...

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 18:49
i enjoy steel tanks for spear fishing so it wasn't much of a question for me, i bought the tanks and have enjoyed the convenience of not having to return tanks after each trip

skidiver
08-15-2007, 11:53
Wow, that's a screaming good deal. I had been hoping to get some Worthington HP100s some day, but this may be too good to pass up.

Is DD still offering free shipping on these?

Do they have HP80s on sale? My wife (5'3") likes those.

skidiver
08-15-2007, 12:21
One more thing: Can anyone confirm that the 15% discount works with the sale price? I placed an order (by mistake, not quite ready to pull the trigger *yet*) and the webpage showed the discount, but the email confirmation did not.

skidiver
08-15-2007, 12:33
Sorry, one more question :smiley5:

I couldn't tell from the website what type of valve the Faber tanks at DD have. Does anyone know? Our regs. are yoke (Atomic).

mike_s
08-15-2007, 12:41
Is DD still offering free shipping on these?

No... the free shipping is off. But if you "add to cart" it calculates shipping based on price, not weight. So your shipping will be $13.99 (or something like that) no matter how many tanks you buy.

Do they have HP80s on sale? My wife (5'3") likes those.

Not that I saw.

I couldn't tell from the website what type of valve the Faber tanks at DD have. Does anyone know? Our regs. are yoke (Atomic).

The ones I got were labeled with a small "Blue Steel" Logo, but I'm 99.99% sure it's a San-o-Sub valve. If you go to the Blue Steel Website, and the San-o-sub website, they are the same exact picture and also have the same exact file name. So it's pretty much a sure thing.

They are DIN/Yoke convertible. So they should work with your yoke Atomic reg w/o problem.

Centerius
08-15-2007, 12:48
The 15% discount works, no free shipping though. I hope they're yoke valves...

One thing to note: DD charged my credit card the price before the discount, then changed it to the discounted price. I had the same thing happen to me; the price on the confirmation page was the discounted price, and the e-mail gave the price before the discount. However, eventually the discounted price is the one that will post to my credit card.

skidiver
08-15-2007, 12:52
Sweet, now I just have to convince SWMBO that this is a sensible purchase. The problem is, we've got three certified divers (with two more possible in the future), so we're looking at 6 tanks.

At what height (for the diver) does it make sense to go with a HP100 rather than HP80? My wife likes the 80s, and she's 5'3". My son, who is 11, is about 5'4" and the 80s work well on him now, but I suspect that before long he'd do better with the 100s. So my instinct is to go with two 80s and four 100s. Any opinions?

If you think diving is an expensive sport, try outfitting a whole family!

CompuDude
08-15-2007, 12:59
Sweet, now I just have to convince SWMBO that this is a sensible purchase. The problem is, we've got three certified divers (with two more possible in the future), so we're looking at 6 tanks.

At what height (for the diver) does it make sense to go with a HP100 rather than HP80? My wife likes the 80s, and she's 5'3". My son, who is 11, is about 5'4" and the 80s work well on him now, but I suspect that before long he'd do better with the 100s. So my instinct is to go with two 80s and four 100s. Any opinions?

I don't envy you that one!

HP100s work well even for smaller divers (within reason). If you think about it, the 100s are generally a tad smaller than the Al.80s your son probably trained on, so if he was able to make do with those, he'll be fine with the 100s. For that matter, so would your wife, although I can understand if she prefers the smaller tank.

Also, your son, at age 11, is going to grow fast. In a couple of years the 100s will probably be a MUCH better decision... and you won't even be at the first hydro yet.

CompuDude
08-15-2007, 13:00
The 15% discount works, no free shipping though. I hope they're yoke valves...

One thing to note: DD charged my credit card the price before the discount, then changed it to the discounted price. I had the same thing happen to me; the price on the confirmation page was the discounted price, and the e-mail gave the price before the discount. However, eventually the discounted price is the one that will post to my credit card.
Correct. They're combo valves: DIN or Yoke, depending on if the insert is in. Perfect valve, IMO, although I wish they used the same size hex key to remove as my the Thermo valves on my Worthington tanks!

mike_s
08-15-2007, 13:03

If you set an AL80 and the Faber FX-100 beside each other, they are prob less than an inch in height difference. So if you can dive an AL80, there will be no problems with this tank. If he's 11 and already 5'4", he'll be growing before long. I'd still buy these tanks as he will grow into them well.

As for your wife, the height and weight of the AL80 vs the FX-100 are very similar. I think if she likes the 80's then she'll be fine with these. but it's all personal preference at this point.

mike_s
08-15-2007, 13:05
This is the valve that comes on the tanks.

Note the yoke insert sitting beside it.

spec: (From Blue Steel's website)

Convertible Scuba Tank Valve (PN: 10120 )

DIN/K Type Outlet Connection With Removable Insert
For 3442 psi Service Pressure
Inlet : NPSM
All valves are rugged brass with chrome plated finish for maximum protection, durability and beauty.
Manufactured with Oxygen compatible materials and lubricants.
Sturdy black extended rubber handwheel allows easy access and grip to open and close valve.
Recessed safety to protect against damage while diving or transporting cylinder.http://www.bluesteelllc.com/valves_files/image005.jpg

Centerius
08-15-2007, 13:08
This is the valve that comes on the tanks.

Note the yoke insert sitting beside it.

http://www.bluesteelllc.com/valves_files/image005.jpg

Thanks for the information. My tanks will be here tomorrow. :smiley20:

skidiver
08-15-2007, 13:16
Excellent, thanks for the info folks!

On the sizing, my wife prefers AL63s to AL80s. She seems to use about the same amout of air (in terms of PSI) using either of those tanks, probably due to the lower weight and drag. She used a steel HP80 (Worthington) rental yesterday and liked the size. I suspect the HP80s are probably close in size to the AL63s, though I haven't checked.

My son trained (at age 10) on the AL63s, but I agree that over the medium to long term the HP100s make much more sense. It's unlikely that he'll be short. And the prices are only $50 apart at DD.

mike_s
08-15-2007, 13:32
Excellent, thanks for the info folks!

On the sizing, my wife prefers AL63s to AL80s. She seems to use about the same amout of air (in terms of PSI) using either of those tanks, probably due to the lower weight and drag. She used a steel HP80 (Worthington) rental yesterday and liked the size. I suspect the HP80s are probably close in size to the AL63s, though I haven't checked.

My son trained (at age 10) on the AL63s, but I agree that over the medium to long term the HP100s make much more sense. It's unlikely that he'll be short. And the prices are only $50 apart at DD.

If she likes the HP80 and has the air consumption on it compared to you on the HP100. then that might the better choice for her depending on her diving needs.

The Faber HP 100 is 24.8" tall and 34.3 lbs (w/o valve)
The Faber HP 80 is 20.87" tall and 28.6 lbs (w/o valve)
The AL80 is 26.1" tall and 31.4 pounds (with valve I thinK)

The Worthington HP 100 is 24" tall and 33 pounds (w/o valve I think)
The Worthington HP 80 is 19.7" tall and 27.7 pounds. (w/o valve I think)

Add valves to the steel cylinders for height and a little more weight and the HP100 is about the same height as an AL80 and only a few pounds heavier. However, it's more negative bouyant in the water, which will allow you to take about 4 to 6 pounds of lead off your weight belt. Which is a nice advantage.

creggur
08-16-2007, 08:42
i think im gonna have to order about 6 of those HP 100's (or 80's) for my brother, his girl, and me... thats too good of a deal. the 80's are 200 bux!!
hope he's up for it... we can get rid of 4 al80's for some good money still, all fresh hydro...

PM me if you really want to sell the 4 al80's...

Centerius
08-16-2007, 10:47
Just got my tanks. It was a hell of a time getting the sticker residue off. Mine came with the valves on and slightly pressurized. :)

CompuDude
08-16-2007, 10:55
Just got my tanks. It was a hell of a time getting the sticker residue off. Mine came with the valves on and slightly pressurized. :)
Are you going to take them in for a vis inspection, based on Mike_S's warning about residue in the tanks?

mike_s
08-16-2007, 10:59

what kind of sticker or sticker residue was on it? (visual sticker or did they add something else?)

Centerius
08-16-2007, 11:14

what kind of sticker or sticker residue was on it? (visual sticker or did they add something else?)

Price stickers... and I took the "If it's steel, it's Faber!" sticker off, too. Mine didn't come with a vis sticker.

Centerius
08-16-2007, 11:17
Oh yeah, the hydro date is May 2007. :)

I'll probably get them VIPed.

mike_s
08-16-2007, 11:50
Price stickers... and I took the "If it's steel, it's Faber!" sticker off, too. Mine didn't come with a vis sticker.

Interesting that they took them out of the box and had price stickers on them. I'm betting they are running slow on supply and pulling them off the showroom floor. When I ordered mine a while back, they ran out and had to get in another shipment, which only took a few extra days and was of no real concern.

Oh yeah, the hydro date is May 2007. :)

I'll probably get them VIPed.

good deal on the hydro. Mine were about a year out.

If you visually inspect them, give it the "finger test". (Stick your finger in and see if any powder residue comes out. also the same with a grease type residue on the threads.

just FYI as it's happened to a few people with these tanks. (but doesn't mean they are all that way).

Centerius
08-16-2007, 13:31
I went ahead and got them VIPed. Ready to go diving on Saturday now!

CompuDude
08-16-2007, 13:32
I take it they were clean inside?

I'll probably get mine VIP'd anyway, esp since I'm taking the valves off to build a set of doubles, but I'm still curious.

Centerius
08-16-2007, 13:49
I take it they were clean inside?

I'll probably get mine VIP'd anyway, esp since I'm taking the valves off to build a set of doubles, but I'm still curious.

Yeah, they were clean inside. I figured I would since I took the valves off to look inside. :p

MtnDiver
08-17-2007, 09:06
Divers Direct is now saying the FX100 tanks are out of stock and on backorder....

Centerius
08-17-2007, 12:31
Divers Direct is now saying the FX100 tanks are out of stock and on backorder....

I'm glad I bought mine when I did. :)

mike_s
08-17-2007, 12:40

When I ordered mine they were out of stock and on backorder... They got a new order in within the week and I got them soon afterwards.

so no worries yet.

CompuDude
08-17-2007, 13:34
My pair shipped on the 14th are due to be delivered Monday, I guess. (Says 8/18 but they can't deliver to my work on a Saturday!) Bummer, I was so close to having them for this weekend! At least I'll have them soon, though...

MtnDiver
08-17-2007, 14:09
Just got a call from DD this am and they have already received another shipment in...mine should go out today. So this will be my first tank I have purchased. What does VIP'ed mean? What else will I need to know before having the tank filled? I actually do not plan on using this tank regularly since we have no local diving...but would like to have it on hand just in case I "must" do a dirty lake dive. :-)

CompuDude
08-17-2007, 15:03
Just got a call from DD this am and they have already received another shipment in...mine should go out today. So this will be my first tank I have purchased. What does VIP'ed mean? What else will I need to know before having the tank filled? I actually do not plan on using this tank regularly since we have no local diving...but would like to have it on hand just in case I "must" do a dirty lake dive. :-)
Visual Inspection Program. The Scuba industry has decided that all tanks need to be inspected annually. You get a sticker on your tank with the month and year of the first inspection, and that's good for a year. If the valve comes off, you need a new inspection... also, some shops won't trust stickers from distant shops and will insist on doing their own inspection (part rip off, part genuine concern... often tough to distinguish between the two). A vis is usually only about $10. If your tank comes to you with the valve off, you'll want to take it to a shop for a quick inspection, have them slap a sticker on it, and you're good to go for the next year.

Dash Riprock
08-17-2007, 15:22
For discussion purposes, let me show you the results of my own comparison.

I currently have the oppurtunity to buy a very old (manu. 1967) steel 72 tank for $75. The last hydro and vis was this year. This would be used as a backup "2nd dive" tank.

The following assumptions were used:

The tank will be used 8 times during the year
Rental tanks cost $10/day for $80/year cost
Air fills at $4
Visual insp each year at $5
In the 3rd year a $25 cleaning is performed
In the 5th year a $50 hydro is performed.

The outcome was never in doubt and by hte 2nd year ownership was ahead and stayed that way.
After the 5th year owning the tank will save me $68

Of course you cant put a price on the convenience. And further, I still have equity in the tank. Any sale at any price is simply more to ownerships advantage.

For relative purposes, disregard the fact that my initial investment in the tank was so low, at $75.

The rate that the savings accumulated in ownership's advantage after the purchase year was approximately $40 per year, with a bit given back in the 5th "hydro" year. Knowing this I could easily calculate break-even for any tank at any cost.

Its basically not even close, and the longer you own the tank, the better it gets.

MtnDiver
08-17-2007, 15:57
Thanks Compudude!

Buoyant1
08-17-2007, 21:18
If you dive a lot it's great! My best savings come with the convenience of having to take the tanks back to the shop...I don't have to take the time to run them back the next day, I can keep them....

I can get them filled, and if I decide I can't dive for some reason, I won't lose any money because of the rental.

I think I got my money's worth for at least one of the tanks this summer!

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 19:57
Got my tanks today... Yay! and Grrr! (respectively)

One tank is 6/07 hydro, and ready to rock. Definitely the San-o-sub valve... although I hate it. The knob is way plastic-y. I'll be selling that off asap and putting the money towards proper Thermo Pro valves. (No rush on that since I'll be using the doubles manifold instead of the stock valves anyway.)

The other tank, however, is 2/06. And has paint chipped down to the steel on the neck.

Fortunately, they're going to swap the bad tank out for me. They're even covering the shipping, although they're holding my card hostage until they get the tank returned. I requested a newer hydro on this one, but we'll see. The bigger concern was the chip, not the hydro, although it would be pretty annoying to have to break down doubles to hydro one tank a year before the other, too!

So I guess I'll have to wait another week probably, until I can build my new doubles. :smiley7:

Edit: See attached pic... note 2/06 Hydro date and big ol' chip at the top.

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 11:10
Visual Inspections at 25 dollars a year.

damn, our visuals here are only $7 at the shop and $3 if we go to a compressed air shop. Heck the Hydro is only $23 at the shop and 15 at the compressed air shop......

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 11:13
also compudude.....get use to paint chips...I understand that since it is new, you expect better, but i would bet withing 10 dives it will look worse than that :)

Also VIP is not just specific to SCUBA a lot of compressed gasses require a VIP....and all require the hydro....

mike_s
08-22-2007, 11:52

One tank is 6/07 hydro, and ready to rock. Definitely the San-o-sub valve... although I hate it. The knob is way plastic-y. I'll be selling that off asap and putting the money towards proper Thermo Pro valves. (No rush on that since I'll be using the doubles manifold instead of the stock valves anyway.)

The other tank, however, is 2/06. And has paint chipped down to the steel on the neck.

Fortunately, they're going to swap the bad tank out for me. They're even covering the shipping, although they're holding my card hostage until they get the tank returned. I requested a newer hydro on this one, but we'll see. The bigger concern was the chip, not the hydro, although it would be pretty annoying to have to break down doubles to hydro one tank a year before the other, too!

So I guess I'll have to wait another week probably, until I can build my new doubles. :smiley7:

I swear that looks almost like the chipped tank neck on the one I returned!

They've got a problem with the necks chipping. it's isn't a problem with the tank but the way they package it. They often put the valve "loose" in a plastic bag inside the tank box when they ship it. The valve bounces around in shipping and since it's heavy steel, can easily chip the tank neck.

There have been SEVERAL instances of this happening with tanks bought from Divers Direct. Faber knows about the problem also. However it's obvious that "they" haven't fixed it yet.

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 12:52
could it be the same tank? lol a return that was resold...lol

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 12:59

I swear that looks almost like the chipped tank neck on the one I returned!

They've got a problem with the necks chipping. it's isn't a problem with the tank but the way they package it. They often put the valve "loose" in a plastic bag inside the tank box when they ship it. The valve bounces around in shipping and since it's heavy steel, can easily chip the tank neck.

There have been SEVERAL instances of this happening with tanks bought from Divers Direct. Faber knows about the problem also. However it's obvious that "they" haven't fixed it yet.
It came shipped to me with the valve attached, as in the pic, and a heavy round cardboard tube (like a toilet paper tube but about 6" long, 6" diameter, and WAY strong) protecting the valve. This had to have happened before it shipped out to me.

I have two other Faber tanks, and I'm well aware that they'll chip over time with use... but I do expect brand new tanks to be in better shape than that. (This one more reason why I should have stuck to my guns and bought Worthingtons instead... but that price was just too good!)

mike_s
08-22-2007, 13:39
could it be the same tank? lol a return that was resold...lol

maybe so... but I returned mine to Blue Steel (Faber) directly.

But I know that a couple others on SB or TDS returned them to Divers Direct. I bet they just re-sold them. Pretty lame to do unless you put them on the floor for where people could see the issue and then marked it down as a discount for that reason.

MtnDiver
08-23-2007, 09:08
So I received my tank yesterday and their is no chipping near the neck (due to the round cardboard insert) BUT on the installed Bluesteel valve the flange just inside the o-ring in bent over a bit on one side....

Should I send this back or do you think if I bend it back a bit and tighten my reg to it be ok??? Your thoughts?

mike_s
08-23-2007, 09:35
So I received my tank yesterday and their is no chipping near the neck (due to the round cardboard insert) BUT on the installed Bluesteel valve the flange just inside the o-ring in bent over a bit on one side....

Should I send this back or do you think if I bend it back a bit and tighten my reg to it be ok??? Your thoughts?

if it leaks any, send it back.

otherwise, your choice on it. Like I said, Divers Direct doesn't protect their tanks very well during shipment. They're just being cheap.

mulefeathers
08-23-2007, 09:40
When I got certified I was told the same thing. Don't buy tanks rent you should never need to buy tanks. Bull..... The last dive I went own I visited two local dive shops that I hope I never have to spend money in again. (Filling my tanks being the exception) My goal is to have 6 tanks for myself. That sold it for me.

CompuDude
08-23-2007, 11:40

Be sure that it's not supposed to be that way, first.

This is the normal way the valves that come with these tanks should look. (See attachment)

Btw, is it just me or should we really have a separate thread all about these DD tank deals, under the circumstances? LOL

mike_s
08-23-2007, 12:02
Be sure that it's not supposed to be that way, first.

This is the normal way the valves that come with these tanks should look. (See attachment)

Btw, is it just me or should we really have a separate thread all about these DD tank deals, under the circumstances? LOL

I'm thinking that mine looks about the same way. I can check tonight. but it's got a small indention like that.

Works fine as the liveaboard I used a few weeks ago couldn't fill DIN and I had to insert that each time.

CompuDude
08-23-2007, 12:52
I'm not sure what the purpose is, unless it's to help get the o-ring out, but I've seen that dent on nearly every new valve I've seen in some time. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be there.

MtnDiver
08-23-2007, 17:05
Yep, I feel dumb..and thanks guys for the responses. Turns out it is supposed to be there...helps when an o-ring blows out I guess to "maintain" losing it completely...or so I was told. But yea, I guess I never noticed it at all, but most if not all valves should pretty much look like that....

Hollywood703
08-23-2007, 18:07
Just got my 4th hp-119 today.....I love this tank.....I now dont have to worry about putting a bit of air in my drysuit whenever i want as I have more than enough air to match the AL-80s my buddies dive with.