PDA

View Full Version : Dive light

tarheeldiver
11-30-2007, 13:14
I have not did any night dives yet but would like too so what is a good primary light to travel with that want break the bank?
thanks
greg

FroggDVR
11-30-2007, 13:23
Anying made by UK Underwater Kinetics is good.

I like the light cannon. This was my first HID light. I have now gone on to bigger and brighter lights.
LED's have come a long way. I think some people even have 5watt leds. Thats bright.
I also like the OMS vega light. Small and compact but VERY bright

Hopefully I have shed some light on this subject for you:smiley5:

tarheeldiver
11-30-2007, 13:29

I like the light cannon. This was my first HID light. I have now gone on to bigger and brighter lights.
LED's have come a long way. I think some people even have 5watt leds. Thats bright.

Thanks I'll check these out

CompuDude
11-30-2007, 14:05

Seconded. The UK Light Canon is a great light. I still use mine for lobstering and as a backup in my dive bag, but I've since moved on to a canister light.

terrillja
11-30-2007, 14:38
I have not did any night dives yet but would like too so what is a good primary light to travel with that want break the bank?
thanks
greg

Check out the Princeton Tec LED pack, it has a good primary, a decent backup and an ok tank indicator light, at 170, -10%. I would say thgat you should buy an LED if at all possible, they are very rugged, and it doesn't matter how much you saved buying a xenon light when you drop it (or the airport handlers do) and the bulb breaks.

Buying a kit at this point is in my mind a good idea, especially if you are going to be diving more, since you will need a backup to do night dives or wreck dives at most shops.

The LED kit from Princeton Tec:
Princeton Tec LED Light Pack, Light Paks, Princeton Tec, Princeton Tec LED Light Pack (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PrincetonLedPack)

ucrtwf
11-30-2007, 14:57
My wife and I both have the princeton tec shockwave LED primary lights, I couldn't be happier. The power, battery life, and quality of bright white light is much better than the xeon lights I've seen buddies use. I picked up a couple small princeton tec "attitude" lights for back ups and poking around cracks, etc... I'm not as happy with those. The one leaked on the first couple dives. They aren't as bright as let's say my old back ups which were UK LS4. These have a narrow beam, but bright. I use one now on my cam-corder case with a diffuser. I know it sounds like a bunch of cash, but the $109 for the shockwave LED is well worth it.

mitsuguy
11-30-2007, 15:33
keep in mind that the clarity of water will have an effect on the brightness and spread of the light you want... the 3 led princeton tec light is quite nice however - pretty versatile from what I've seen...

where are you going to be traveling to...

redneckdiver52
11-30-2007, 16:47
I love my UK lights I have 4 of them. I have a C8 and the HID light cannon as primaries and they are excellent lights.

dannybot
11-30-2007, 19:12
Princeton Tec Shockwave LED - Princeton Tec Dive Lights - LED Dive Lights (http://www.divesports.com/mall/princetec_lts_shockwaveLED.asp)
This will give you an idea about the Princeton, I have two, good light.

Soonerwink
11-30-2007, 19:23
I have the Princeton Tech Shockwave LED. The price may be more for the LED version, but it is worth it. You will never have to replace the bulb and the battery life is so good that over time you will make up the price difference in battery purchases alone. PT also has great customer service and backs up all their lights with a lifetime warranty.

navyhmc
11-30-2007, 19:40
Additonal votes for UK lights. I have several and have not had any complaints as of yet. +10 for the LED lights too.

tarheeldiver
12-01-2007, 14:08
Thanks guys keep the advice coming I'm checking all these out

Aussie
12-02-2007, 05:56
I have the a UK SL4 eLED and find it a great light (backup). I recently ordered a Princeton Tec miniwave LED and OMS Vega backup light from Scuba Toys. I found that both of these lights are great with the miniwave a great little primary and the OMS Vega the best backup light I have used yet.

Aussie

PsychDiver
12-02-2007, 08:09
I have the princeton tec shockwave LED primary lights, I have a UK LS4 for back up. The shockwave is a great light that doesn't build up heat.

ReefHound
12-02-2007, 09:25
I also recommend going the LED route. I use the PT Miniwave LED for night dives and carry a DiveRite LED backup on all dives.

whse56
12-30-2007, 11:14
If you primarily dive in murky or cloudy water you will want to look at a HID as they are more powerful they will punch through the murk. If most of your diving is in clear water the LED lights like Princeton Shockwave light up the night quite nicely, more dispersed not as pinpoint as the HID.

Sansho
01-05-2008, 07:57
Scuba Diving mag just reviewed lights, which you can see at The Best & The Brightest - Scuba Diving Magazine (http://www.scubadiving.com:80/gear/lights/best_and_brightest_2007)

Soonerwink
01-05-2008, 09:19
Scuba Diving mag just reviewed lights, which you can see at The Best & The Brightest - Scuba Diving Magazine (http://www.scubadiving.com:80/gear/lights/best_and_brightest_2007)
Remember that their reviews are for just the newest on the market. The PT Shockwave LED is not new on the market. You can find some of their earlier reviews online though.

Grin
01-06-2008, 10:43
I actually have never night dove, but I do dive in some crappy 10-15 ft vis often, and just as often in supreme 80+ft vis. I have gone through just about every light mentioned here, and then some. I recently bought a UK HID Light Cannon and I really like it for the bad vis. It's easily 5 times better than the PT LED Shockwave I tryed before that. If I were thinking of buying the PT Shockwave again, I'd probably buy the UK C8 LED light instead. The PT did not really impress me much, and I'm sure those two models are at least equal(I'm guessing the UK is brighter, but I really don't know). The Light Cannon is really nice for twice the price of the SHockwave LED, but 5 times worth it. I have a couple UK D8s I'll sell cheap. The D8s light is super bright, but once you compare in person to HID it's over for the regular bulb style lights. They are about the same brightness out of the water, but the HID is white light, and the D8 is yellow. Underwater the white light does not back scatter in your eyes making it superior under water. The PT LED Shockwave really did not appear to be very bright to me. And I didn't like the two position switch either. I probably should Ebay it, but it is a small light and a durable backup so I am not doing that yet.

Duckydiver
01-13-2008, 12:38
I bought the Princton Tek LED pack. It suits my needs very well. For the maybe 2 or 3 night dives I do a year. And 153 for the pack was a good price
While I'm happy with the PT Primary LED and the secondary LED light I was not thrilled with the "tank flair" broke after one dive. I much prefer to use chem sticks.
I will say that I was very happy with Scuba Toys Costomer Service though. They replaced the tank flair with no problem. Thank you ST.

team2tank
01-14-2008, 13:51
uk c8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!best light ever!!!, the regular bulb one is my favorite, the hid light for photos seems to be a bit over the top and washes out, also i noticed the led hd seems to show more backscatter

cyclone3565
01-14-2008, 14:59
HID for my wife and I. I have LED backups. All UK

frankc420
01-14-2008, 16:21
I <3 my Miniwave eLED... it is great!

Crisp and clear, blue tinted light! Wide beam.

DarinMartell
01-16-2008, 13:52
I like my UK C6, The size is perfect for me, however the light was a little dim. I am waiting for my new bulb from Larry!

Scoobidoo
01-16-2008, 19:59
All my lights are UK lights. My primary is a C8-LED, it's practically indestructible - light and bulb!

aprilgoddess1987
01-18-2008, 12:10
the nemo is a good little light

dannybot
01-19-2008, 12:03
I have the PT Shockwave LED, and a LED pack. My first has over 40 dives on the original set of batteries, we use it on every dive (even day) to illuminated cracks and crevices and as an aid for photos. Unfortunately, the second Shockwave LED we got broke prior to first dive with it, but have sent if off for repair. You can compare the test results of the PT and UK if you look at an older light review in Scubadiving: http://www.scubadiving.com/upload/images/gear/200508GR_light_chart.pdf with the more recent: http://www.scubadiving.com/upload/images/pdf/best_and_brightest_chart.pdf
It's pretty much a wash for price and performance, I have read several complaints about the reliability of the PT lights, but also lots of good about how well they make good on warranty, also the battery life is phenomenal.

SHAGGY
01-27-2008, 09:19
My primary light is an ikelite C-Lite 8 and my backup is just a lil inexpensive UK mini Q-40. Both serve their purpose pretty well but I still have a good canister light on my wish list.

shaggy

mm2002
01-28-2008, 12:35
I have a UK400, and a little Princeton as a backup. The UK is bright, but pretty heavy.

RoyN
01-28-2008, 13:52
I think UK lights are the good ones. If you have money, then a canister light would be good, but that may or may not break the bank.

buddhasummer
02-05-2008, 22:57
Dive Rite just put out a 500Lumen LED for 360.00, I own the earlier version 300Lumen its plenty bright and burns at full output for 12 hours, 30 in total,the 300 was also priced at 360.00 but with the intro of the 500 for 360.00 I imagine you can very soon pick up the 300 for much less. On SB someone said Northeast Scuba Supply were selling it for 250. Check it out.