PDA

View Full Version : How's Your Finning?

PlatypusMan
07-22-2007, 22:18
This is a topic that you don't see much discussion on.

Do you consider the way you currently propel yourself through the water as being the best? Most graceful? Most efficient?

Did anyone show you different methods that had you slapping yourself exclaiming "Wow! Why wasn't I doing it that way before?"

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 23:43
I hate to say it but I consider my kicking rather weak. When I started out diving I used paddle fins and woudl start getting cramps in my legs during my third dive. I switched to split fins and that seemed to take care of it. I also learned several other finning techniques, such as the frog kick, afterI was certified. I believe finning should be addressed more in the O/W classes and then even more so in the AOW classes.

Dive-aholic
07-23-2007, 00:32
I use the modified frog kick and I wish someone had taught it to me when I first got certified. It's definitely the best for me!

57ChevyGreg
07-23-2007, 01:41
I also learned several other finning techniques, such as the frog kick, afterI was certified. I believe finning should be addressed more in the O/W classes and then even more so in the AOW classes.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Great point. I think the more kicks you know and can use effectivly can make you a better diver. I think there are different kicks that you can use given the type of dive you are making and the conditions. </DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-23-2007, 08:07
I'd like to learn the backwards kick that allows you to back-up. Handy, when you're inches from a reef (photographing)and you don't want to use your hands to back-up. I've heard it's a reversed frog kick. I've tried that with no success.

TommyB
07-23-2007, 08:24
I'm going to have to say "weak"..
Was going to hook up with txhockeyguy Sat/sun 21st/2nd at CSSP, but Dr. told me no diving / flying until after the 27th or so. Due to inner ear injury I received at CSSP weekend of 14/15th.

Was really looking forward to learning from someone more experinced with the Frog Kicks, Reverses , etc.

Oh well, always another day I guess...

fire diver
07-23-2007, 08:50
I would classify my finning as OK. I typically use a modified flutter or frog. I'm sure an instructor would gag at my frog kick. I can feel that sometimes it really good, but other times I'm off becuase it's more work than reward.
<DIV>I have tried to do a back-kick several times, while solo diving, and embarrased myself. I think the fish were laughing at me.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Skinsfan1311
07-23-2007, 11:41
I would consider mineweak.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Last fall, afterdivingthe Cenotes, we stopped for lunch at a local watering hole. While we ate, we watcheda video of the dive. (The photographer hooked up his vide0-camera to a big LCD TV in the bar)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I was concentrating on my food, (&amp; beer), when all of a sudden the Mexicans broke out into laughter and were pointing at the screen. I looked up, to see what was so funny.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It was me on the screen,frogkicking. It was not a pretty sight.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'w working on it though!</DIV>

3rdEye
07-27-2007, 09:32
my frog kick is pretty weak....but I'd say my flutter kick is ok, and I like doing a dolphin kick a lot of times as well....which is really more of a full body undulation....at least i think that's what a dolphin kick is.

eric4435
08-27-2007, 17:31
Depends on your fins I guess. Split fins are magical when you quickly flutter kick them. Standard blade fins work well with long slow kicks (for me.) I think think that the whole body undulation thing works better with large/long fins. Just my opinion, dont take what I say for fact, im no expert :D

gtjason2000
08-27-2007, 18:05
I would say pretty strong but I was on swim teams since I was a youngster.

thesmoothdome
08-27-2007, 18:47
I'm lazy by nature, so which ever kick I use gives me just enough propulsion to keep up with my buddy. I find frog kicking to be most comfortable, but for quick bursts of speed I use the flutter. My legs are definately not as strong as they were in my 20s, but I guess I'm just as efficient as I was, just not as fast :).

ScubaGir1
08-27-2007, 19:02
I consider my kick to be pretty strong. I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years! LOL I sure hope its strong!

Funny thing, I never knew people did "frog" kick with the fins on, so when I was doing it I thought I must look crazy. hahaha It really is a nice way to go :smiley20:

finflippers
08-27-2007, 19:19
I would rate my finning strong.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-27-2007, 19:21
im going to say my finning is rank beginner, they should cover more on finning in ow certs.

ianr33
08-27-2007, 19:45
I'd like to learn the backwards kick that allows you to back-up. Handy, when you're inches from a reef (photographing)and you don't want to use your hands to back-up. I've heard it's a reversed frog kick. I've tried that with no success.

What type of fins do you use? I could JUST go backwards in Quattros on a good day,switched to Jets and found it so much easier.

I understand that it is essentially impossible to do a backwards kick in split fins.

Liv7301
08-27-2007, 21:54
I would really like to learn a few more basic kicks and find the reverse one especially interesting. I am sure that when I get to more advanced stuff I will be more actively seek out some alternatives to the tried and true.

in_cavediver
08-27-2007, 21:56
I'd say my finning is lazy. The least effort for the most reward.

It took Advanced Nitrox and Cave training to learn them and really be able to do them but boy has it made OW dives nice. When I dm'd, I would do one frog kick (in drysuit/doubles) to a students 5-8 flutter kicks. AOW students got to a 1:3 ratio. Of course, many of them soon figured out what I was doing and wanted to learn themselves.

That said, best kicks to know:

1) Frog kick - teach it at OW
2) Flutter kick - teach it at OW
3) Modified versions of both - teach in OW

4) Helicopter turns - Intro OW, practice AOW
5) Back kicks/sculls - Intro OW, practice/learn AOW

There are others but these are the biggies. If more divers knew or were at least introduced to them, there'd be happier divers. (IE, they choose thier most comfortable kick)

willardj
08-28-2007, 08:52
My finning has never been a problem.. Once I started doing more research getting ready for my Cavern class. I started doing the frog kick more and more. now I have to say the frog kick Rocks.. That is pretty much all I use any more and It's so much more efficient. I now got my wife doing it all the time also.

JugglingMonkeys
08-28-2007, 09:25
I understand that it is essentially impossible to do a backwards kick in split fins.

why so? it works for me.

but i need to try frog kicking - that seems to be popular!

PlatypusMan
08-28-2007, 10:24
but i need to try frog kicking - that seems to be popular!

Frog kicking is fairly easy to do. :smiley20:

First, sneak up on a frog that's facing away from you...

JugglingMonkeys
08-28-2007, 10:57
Great tip!
:smilie39:

thanks very much.

rubberduck
08-28-2007, 11:03
I'd rate my finning as poor to average. Something I'd definately like to improve.

brutus_scuba
08-28-2007, 11:28
My Frogkick is the strongest part of my diving. I love the frog kick in my opinion it should be used 99.9% of the time in Scuba. It works great in quarries where the silt bottom gets kicked up by the flutter kick. It works great in overhead situations it works great in open water. It keeps the feet up a little over coral. It is hands down the least intrusive kick on the underwater enviroment.

cutter77
09-03-2007, 02:41
Mostly flutter, unless close to reef ---- then it's frog.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 20:28
I'd say my finning is lazy. The least effort for the most reward.

It took Advanced Nitrox and Cave training to learn them and really be able to do them but boy has it made OW dives nice. When I dm'd, I would do one frog kick (in drysuit/doubles) to a students 5-8 flutter kicks. AOW students got to a 1:3 ratio. Of course, many of them soon figured out what I was doing and wanted to learn themselves.

That said, best kicks to know:

1) Frog kick - teach it at OW
2) Flutter kick - teach it at OW
3) Modified versions of both - teach in OW

4) Helicopter turns - Intro OW, practice AOW
5) Back kicks/sculls - Intro OW, practice/learn AOW

There are others but these are the biggies. If more divers knew or were at least introduced to them, there'd be happier divers. (IE, they choose thier most comfortable kick)

I agree, overall!

I don't know that OW students are going to be quite ready for heli and back kicks, however. I think showing the frog kick in OW would be a great start, and the rest should definitely be taught in AOW. The biggest issue with the modified versions is they really only work well when you have proper trim... and it's a rare OW class that turns out divers who swim in proper trim.

Teaching the frog kick, however, would go a long way towards encouraging proper trim, even outside of class, since that's one kick that definitely rewards good trim: great for positive feedback.

Of course, showing off the efficiency of frog kicks might lead to a rather dramatic loss of sales of expensive split fins for the dive shop, so I don't know that we'll ever see that...

Capt Hook
09-05-2007, 08:27
Not the best but i drift dive so whats it really matter?