PDA

View Full Version : Web page of my photo's

cummings66
11-30-2007, 19:32
Here's a page I'm working on. It's got some bad pictures, some interesting ones and maybe one or two I really like. My favorite is one of the newer ones I took at Bennett Springs.

What do you think of how I've setup the photo gallery? Still working on it, I've tried a dozen different things trying to get it to be me, but it's still a mess. Well, maybe it is me... The theory is someday I'll have all my photo's from all the places I've taken them in there. Someday.

Diving Photos (http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings/diving/index.html)

navyhmc
11-30-2007, 20:06
Cool photos. A few are blurred and moving, but good overall.

I wasn't aware that you could dive Bennet Springs. Last time I was there while in the army, I was told you couldn't dive it.

Other than cold, the water looked good. How deep is it? And, was that a bit of cavern diving I saw? Dont' hold back give us the scoop on the dive.

WV Diver
11-30-2007, 20:14
This is the first time I have seen this style for albums on the net and I must say I like it a lot.

Soonerwink
11-30-2007, 21:47
Where is Bennett Springs located, I would like to get some more information about diving there.

navyhmc
11-30-2007, 22:04
Bennett Springs is in Misourri, around 15 NW of Lebanon, MO on SR 64 or about 65-70 miles NE of Springfield, MO. Very nice State park there.

According to a web page I looked up, diving is only allowed there in the winter months. link: Cavern Diving Missouri (http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/diving/cavern/cavern.html)

RoadRacer1978
11-30-2007, 22:13
Nice page. I haven't seen that particular setup for an ablum, but I did like it. It was easy to navigate and look at every picture. Some nice pics by the way. :)

cummings66
11-30-2007, 22:14
Bennett Springs is open for diving from November to February. It's restricted to 6 divers per day and you must be on a list. For example I have 4 spots reserved for this weekend for my buddies and so far 2 of them can't make it meaning I have 2 open spots for diving this coming Sunday. Last time I checked that means 4 divers are coming. At most 4 divers can enter the cavern so 2 of the 6 must wait their turn to go down.

Right now it's about 80 feet down to the cave entrance, temps are about 50 degree's or so, vis is essentially as far as you can see with a light, it does get darker outside the cavern.

Current, it varies but it can run from so strong you can't move forwards to you just have to work at moving forwards. I think last weekend it had about 60 million gallons of water flow per day there, but it does get higher at times.

It is a cavern dive, but it's safe enough that just about anybody can dive it due to how open it is. Just quit moving and it will spit you back out the entrance. There's little to get caught on as long as you don't go in the cave. There's a guide line in the cavern as well, and a rope that the cave divers use to pull themselves into the cave. The current is so strong you can't just swim into it. There is no danger of silting it up, the rock is clean as can be and if you do make silt by digging a hole it blows away so fast that you couldn't see it anyhow.

Basically, the park requires AOW to dive it. You present your cert and they'll copy it and there after you just check in when you show up. They'll give you a list of rules to follow by the way.

Most of the time divers are not allowed in there, but when we are it's great. I did notice myself a few blurred pictures, I'll probably get around to replacing them at some time when I go through it with more attention to detail. By the way, not one of those photo's is retouched in any manner, they are the direct output of the Cannon A620. Some have been shot with custom white balance, awb, etc. Some of them were experiments that went south pretty bad in fact. You'll kind of notice the later ones look better than the early pictures, shows a learning curve I guess.

This weekend if it works out I'm going back and I'm taking a video showing the entire dive from start to end, down to the cave entrance with the rope blowing in the current and then back up. Should be neat. I think my cannister light can double as a video light based on some experiments, just need to prove it.

I was almost afraid to post my album because if more people learned of Bennett Springs they might dive there depriving me of some prime diving. It is honestly the best dive I have ever had in the midwest, it's awesome. Cat's out of the bag now. By the way, the problem with the focus was mostly due to the fact that it was a struggle to maintain position, I was either too close or too far due to being pushed. It sometimes felt like somebody grabbed me and shoved me around, somebody much bigger than myself. I liked the Sculpin, but it was hard to get them framed like I wanted, but the one that was partially orange and green did come through.

Soonerwink
11-30-2007, 22:37
Bennett Springs is in Misourri, around 15 NW of Lebanon, MO on SR 64 or about 65-70 miles NE of Springfield, MO. Very nice State park there.

According to a web page I looked up, diving is only allowed there in the winter months. link: Cavern Diving Missouri (http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~brodskye/diving/cavern/cavern.html)
It's a little far for a day trip for me. I may have to see if I can schedule a weekend trip. This looks like from your pictures it would be a great dive. How far in advance do you usually have to schedule to get a dive date?

cummings66
12-01-2007, 07:26
It varies, sometimes you can call and get right on the list to dive and other times it's booked solid for weeks. It's best to try a couple weeks out, but be persistent and keep calling because people cancel out many times. For example I got notified by two of my divers last night that they would not be there, I'm going to call a couple more friends and see if they want to go and if they don't I'll be calling them up to cancel two of my spots which means if you called last night you'd be told it's booked, but if you called later on today you might be told there's two spots open.

So, it varies.

Daved
12-01-2007, 09:28
I have never bothered with fresh water diving. This however sound fantastic. Safe dives this weekend and thanks for posting --not only the pictures but the dive--very cool!

cummings66
12-01-2007, 11:47
I envy ocean divers the pictures they can take on a regular basis. We have so much crud that back scatter happens all to often and that's using external strobes. We could almost never take some of the wild photo's with vivid color you see in ocean pics because one, we don't have fish like that, and two the vis is so limited that colors are just washed out bad. There is only so much touch up you can do and show real life.

However, I do like the diving. We're now into the low 40's for the lakes and that brings up the battery life problem, it just gets zapped way to fast due to cold.

scubaculture
12-03-2007, 10:10
Some great shots, thanks for sharing them with us

cummings66
12-03-2007, 18:00
This is my favorite picture, I think.
Diving Photos/bennettsprings/BennettSprings 013 (http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings/diving/bennettsprings/slides/BennettSprings%20013.html)

The last round of picture taking seemed like some of my better ones, but with practice I think I'm making some headway. It is tough finding stuff in fresh water around here that really comes out pretty. It's mostly mud and brown fish, but sometimes you find a good area.

ScubaJW
12-10-2007, 21:53
I like the way you've set up the gallery.

navyhmc
12-10-2007, 23:50
What's the water temp there? Can't help but notice all of you are dry.

Maybe worth a trip back to the springs. thanks for the photos.

Scubakraut
12-12-2007, 14:15
that's a interesting layout.

Navy OnStar
12-12-2007, 14:21
Nice. I like the Setup. They loaded really fast and, to me at least, are well organized.

Great job.

texdiveguy
12-12-2007, 14:45
Here's a page I'm working on. It's got some bad pictures, some interesting ones and maybe one or two I really like. My favorite is one of the newer ones I took at Bennett Springs.

What do you think of how I've setup the photo gallery? Still working on it, I've tried a dozen different things trying to get it to be me, but it's still a mess. Well, maybe it is me... The theory is someday I'll have all my photo's from all the places I've taken them in there. Someday.

Diving Photos (http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings/diving/index.html)

I enjoyed viewing your photos!!

CompuDude
12-12-2007, 19:34
Nice.

I'm biased, of course, since I also use jAlbum for my gallery. I use the BluePlusPlus skin for my galleries.

If only they could integrate a decent search and tagging function, it would be nearly a perfect gallery. Actually, more perfect would be a back end add-on, but as it is, it's definitely the best stand-alone website photo gallery software out there, and the only way to beat the price is to get paid to use it!

qualitysiding
12-21-2007, 20:56
nice pics thanks for sharing.

WaScubaDude
12-22-2007, 00:05
This is my favorite picture, I think.
Diving Photos/bennettsprings/BennettSprings 013 (http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings/diving/bennettsprings/slides/BennettSprings%20013.html)

The last round of picture taking seemed like some of my better ones, but with practice I think I'm making some headway. It is tough finding stuff in fresh water around here that really comes out pretty. It's mostly mud and brown fish, but sometimes you find a good area.

The rocks on the bottom look really cool. Great spawning grounds and the fish look yuumiiee.
Thought about mounting the video cam above the light? That way when you pan the light, you pan the cam.

Matt P
12-22-2007, 06:56
Nice choice on the layout - really liked. I also enjoyed the video...loved the schools of trout(?). Those small fish camoflauged agasint the pebbles are amazing. It took a second for me to realize they were even there!

snagel
12-22-2007, 07:20
Nice pics - Cummings. Enjoyed the Bennett video's since I'll be there on 12/29. Like the album, loads very easy. Actually, this is something I've been wanting to do. I'm very new to this picture on the web thing. Can you post information on how to get started with something like this? I mean, I don't know anything.

S. Nagel

Bigg_Budd
12-22-2007, 08:07
I liked the fishnet covered chick, and the huge hunk of snot attached to the rock.

CompuDude
12-22-2007, 12:58
Nice pics - Cummings. Enjoyed the Bennett video's since I'll be there on 12/29. Like the album, loads very easy. Actually, this is something I've been wanting to do. I'm very new to this picture on the web thing. Can you post information on how to get started with something like this? I mean, I don't know anything.

S. Nagel

JAlbum - the free web photo album software and photo gallery software (http://www.jalbum.net)

Free software, lots of how-to's. Just play with the options and have fun! Tons of layouts to choose from, including the one cummings66 used.

Pretty much, you spend some time setting up things the way you want, then feed the program a folder full of jpg's, and it spits out a fully-formatted web page into another folder. Upload that folder to your web hosting company, and you're ready to rock. :)

It gets a little slow to generate the site when you get 1000's of photos up, but it does the job. I have nearly 2500 photos up on mine. (excuse the early stuff, the best stuff is more recent)

Scuba Diving Photos (http://www.h2ogeek.com/pix.html)

snagel
12-22-2007, 17:16
Thanks, I've downloaded JAlbum and have been playing around with it.

S. Nagel

divingchef
12-22-2007, 17:34
some great shots.....the springs must be quite a dive....pretty cold I imagine....tons of trout! wow!

cummings66
01-02-2008, 20:36
Haven't been busy in this forum, but it's not too bad. I think we had 55 degree's or so this new years day. The fun part was getting iced up walking to the vehicle. Or watching the wetsuit guy turn into a human popsicle, close second.

I liked some of the snot like pictures I took at table rock lake and also beaver lake. The mannequin was interesting. That was a bad day for photo's due to poor vis and deeper depths. I think I could do better now than I did then, few more tricks in my bag I guess.

I updated the Bennett Springs photo's to reflect New Years.