PDA

View Full Version : Gear markers

jac007
12-01-2007, 00:23
Does anyone have any suggestions about gear markers for BCDs, gear bags, and regs? I saw a site that makes custom tags for the gear and was wondering if this was a good idea or if paint or another type of marker would be cheaper and/or better.

stranger
12-01-2007, 07:50
i use duck tape on my luggage. i put different strips on the handles, etc so i can easily identify my bag on the luggage spinner thing

RoadRacer1978
12-01-2007, 08:10
I think it would be a matter of choice. A paint pen would probably work and be semi-permenant. A tag would look nice, but is one more thing hanging off you bcd or other piece of gear.

Here is a thread that discusses marking gear in some detail. :)

http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/6898-gear-marking.html

CaribbeanDiver
12-01-2007, 09:17
Luggage Tags (http://www.crewtags.com) you might want to take a look at what they have. I use RED tags and they really stand out.

Mtrewyn
12-01-2007, 10:45
This site makes the Mil spec tags that you put on your "BDU" that have your last name on them, you might be able to get one stitched on to your BC, come to think about it I like that idea I may have to look in to that my self. They are made in booth nylon, and cotton so I'm shure one or the other would work.

U.S. Cavalry - Proudly Serving Military and Law Enforcement Professionals (http://www.uscav.com/)

Navy OnStar
12-01-2007, 11:00
Iordered some military style dog tags with my name, phone number, and address on them and attached them with rivets. You can use book screws too but have to make the hole a liitle bigger but they're not quite as permanent. Heres a picture and you can see it attached to my integrated weight pocket just to the left of the quick release. it has a yellow tag silencer around it. If I dump my weights maybe someone will give me a call.

I have a few more in other places. I used rivet washers on the backside to distribute the pressure and I used a soldiering iron to make the holes.

Mtrewyn
12-01-2007, 11:08
The dog tag is good too, you could put that in a lot of difrent spots, NICE

team2tank
01-15-2008, 11:25
goto local dirtbike or motorcycle shop,,,get tire paint marker,,,lots of colors works awesome, dosn't come off......ever

Duckydiver
01-15-2008, 20:05
I used the 4 in. chain that comes with the dog tags.I taged on on the screw of the reg and one around a d ring of the bc

Lone Frogman
01-15-2008, 20:24
I use a paint pen it works on almost everything, not so good on fabric.

DarinMartell
01-16-2008, 12:24
I used a paintpen on flat surfaces and a sharpie on fabric. So far so good.

Scoobidoo
01-16-2008, 19:56
I use a silver Sharpie. Shows on black fine.

azdiver
01-17-2008, 18:12
I use a sharpie on my fins. Just read an article stating that all you should put on your luggage tag is your name and the phone number for a close family member or friend now a days.... that way if someone takes your luggage they cna't track down where you live.... it's to help with identity theft. Too bad things have gotten so bad these days......

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-26-2008, 11:34
Some bright colored duct tape with my name written on it with capital letters works for me, though I'm a little minamalist when it comes o marking things. :smiley20:

russp
02-08-2008, 15:46
I originally tried a Sharpie on all my gear but it faded off after just a few dives. A red paint pen has worked well for hard surfaces such as my air tanks and fins, haven't found anything for my BCD but I can easily spot it's orange color and yellow clips for the guages, whistle, mask and fins.

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 15:51
I originally tried a Sharpie on all my gear but it faded off after just a few dives. A red paint pen has worked well for hard surfaces such as my air tanks and fins, haven't found anything for my BCD but I can easily spot it's orange color and yellow clips for the guages, whistle, mask and fins.

Silver sharpies work well, regular sharpies not so much. (They're ok on galvanized tanks, I'm told)

Paint pens work very well, though.

I never felt the need to mark up my BC, but I've seen a number of dive shops that use that puffy t-shirt paint to mark their rentals. Holds up fairly well.

SkuaSeptember
02-08-2008, 19:18
I go with a couple of colored zip ties located to be visible with a quick glance but trimmed and placed so that they won't snag. It won't stop a thief, but it does prevent mix ups.

marchand
02-08-2008, 21:35
I engrave my "mark" in most all of my gear except stuff like tank and regs that can be damaged by engraving; I usually just use sharpie on that stuff.

robjoubert
02-16-2008, 14:21
I went to the local Wal-Mart's pet section and got a "chrome dog tag" and engraved it with my name, phone# and DAN# right there in the store at a total cost of $5. Now I am going to rivet it to my BC & I will see how long it lasts!!

MicahEW
02-16-2008, 14:33
Iordered some military style dog tags with my name, phone number, and address on them and attached them with rivets. You can use book screws too but have to make the hole a liitle bigger but they're not quite as permanent. Heres a picture and you can see it attached to my integrated weight pocket just to the left of the quick release. it has a yellow tag silencer around it. If I dump my weights maybe someone will give me a call.

I have a few more in other places. I used rivet washers on the backside to distribute the pressure and I used a soldiering iron to make the holes.

I like this idea I will have to remember it for when I invest in a BC.

KGNickl
02-16-2008, 21:23
I went to the local Wal-Mart's pet section and got a "chrome dog tag" and engraved it with my name, phone# and DAN# right there in the store at a total cost of $5. Now I am going to rivet it to my BC & I will see how long it lasts!!
That seems like a great idea and cheap. I wonder how those tags will hold up? Only thing I might wonder about is if they would rust.

newways
02-16-2008, 22:21
This site makes the Mil spec tags that you put on your "BDU" that have your last name on them, you might be able to get one stitched on to your BC, come to think about it I like that idea I may have to look in to that my self. They are made in booth nylon, and cotton so I'm shure one or the other would work.

U.S. Cavalry - Proudly Serving Military and Law Enforcement Professionals (http://www.uscav.com/)

Nice idea, I have a few left over from my days.

BeachBunnyCrissy
02-16-2008, 22:41

Cute idea... I know what I am doing next time I am at walmart!

robjoubert
02-16-2008, 23:54
Our local W-M have about 6 variations in color, size and shape - they even had a tag painted as Sponge Bob but I got the feeling that that one would rust fairly quickly!!!

CompuDude
02-20-2008, 12:49
There are plastic dog tags that would last indefinitely. There are also brass dog tags that would probably last a good long time as well. I would avoid the ones made from other metals due to rust concerns. The chromed ones may or may not not have a sea-worthy metal under the chrome layer. May as well get ones that you know will last from the start, unless you REALLY like the chrome ones and don't mind wasting some money on experimentation.

I think DAN makes plastic tags that would work quite effectively, too. Not as cheap as dog tags, but it's for a good cause.

robjoubert
03-15-2008, 10:13
That seems like a great idea and cheap. I wonder how those tags will hold up? Only thing I might wonder about is if they would rust.

Update - March 15, 2008: 6 dives in sea water and no rust on the W-M tag yet. Will keep you posted!!! :smiley20:

robjoubert
04-05-2008, 18:44

UPDATE - April 4: 11 dives (9 sea 2 pool) to date since installation and no signs of rust :smiley32:

mentalmarine
04-05-2008, 19:00

UPDATE - April 4: 11 dives (9 sea 2 pool) to date since installation and no signs of rust :smiley32:

Thats brilliant! Im going to pick up one next time im in the evil empires store.

obrules15
04-05-2008, 20:17
Dan Tags sell gear markers, small and round, attach with zip ties. I like 'em.

EuphoriaII
04-07-2008, 13:38
goto local dirtbike or motorcycle shop,,,get tire paint marker,,,lots of colors works awesome, dosn't come off......ever

Excellent idea