PDA

View Full Version : Sealife SL961 vs. Sea&Sea YS-27DX?

BuggyDad
12-01-2007, 04:20
Hey --

Brand new to the board and wondering if anyone has heard or read anything about the Sealife SL961? Am planning on getting started with UW photography and looking for a "starter" strobe. Was going to get the Sea and Sea YS-27DX but the SL961's "auto" mode (and price point) seemed intriguing. Then again, I could probably keep the YS-27DX longer as I get more advanced.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, I've got a Canon A570is and the WP-DC12 housing.

Bart
12-01-2007, 09:52
I have a Canon A710 IS with a Canon housing.I recently returned from Bonaire where I demoed a YS-27DX for a day.Got some great photos,and I thought the strobe was great.Easy to operate for a nuby but yet a proffesional model strobe that will not need to be replaced as you advance into a SLR camera someday.Thumbs up for me, Im sold.

Soonerwink
12-01-2007, 14:32
I bought a YS-27DX on ebay for 275.00 including shipping from Hong Kong. I saw one recently for 256.00 + shipping on there. I checked and here is the link to it. Sea & Sea YS-27 DX strobe w/ optical cable and YS - ARM - (eBay item 280178778626 end time Dec-09-07 00:47:57 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sea-Sea-YS-27-DX-strobe-w-optical-cable-and-YS-ARM_W0QQitemZ280178778626QQihZ018QQcategoryZ50506Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

BuggyDad
12-02-2007, 05:15
Wow. That seems like quite a deal! Is that the guy you bought it from? Is he/she reliable?

Thanks for potentially saving me $100!

Soonerwink
12-02-2007, 16:18
Wow. That seems like quite a deal! Is that the guy you bought it from? Is he/she reliable?

Thanks for potentially saving me $100!
Yes, thats who I purchased mine from. WhenI purchased mine on Oct. 8 it was cheaper, but didn't come with the ys-adapter.

Puffer Fish
12-02-2007, 19:29
It is a little hard to tell from the information on the web site about the SL961... just exactly what are those "advanced features". I have several of the SL960D's, and they are, well to be nice... rather cheaply made, and the fiber optic system is...well, cheap. I don't see what would change about that, even if the SL961 does have automatic controls.

What anyone using a Point and shoot needs is a preflash from the slave, so that the Point and shoot will turn down the camera's flash as far as it can.. and save both time and batteries...

Soonerwink
12-02-2007, 20:20
It is a little hard to tell from the information on the web site about the SL961... just exactly what are those "advanced features". I have several of the SL960D's, and they are, well to be nice... rather cheaply made, and the fiber optic system is...well, cheap. I don't see what would change about that, even if the SL961 does have automatic controls.

What anyone using a Point and shoot needs is a preflash from the slave, so that the Point and shoot will turn down the camera's flash as far as it can.. and save both time and batteries...
On my Oly sp-350 you can set the camera to slave and turn the flash down to its lowest setting. I do this with my strobe and it has fired every time.

Puffer Fish
12-02-2007, 21:18

On my Oly sp-350 you can set the camera to slave and turn the flash down to its lowest setting. I do this with my strobe and it has fired every time.
Some Canon's have a similar feature... which saves batteries and recycle time and allows a bigger choice in slaves... Inon and several others have a strong preflash, so with them it does not matter.