PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater vs. Bluewater Diving

PlatypusMan
07-22-2007, 22:25
Over the years, I've run across folks who are adamant that they will only dive in the ocean. Some have gone so far as to state the opinion that Bluewater diving is the only thing that should be called by that name.

What's YOUR opinion?

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 22:32
When I started diving, I had no urge to dive in anything but the ocean. I planned on taking the classes where I live then getting a referral for the open waters at a resort. As the time approached, I decided I would suck it up and do the open water dives at the local scuba park so I didnít waste dives at the resort. Well I did the dives at the scuba park and found out that it was not as bad as I thought. By the time I was done with the open water dives, I rather enjoyed it. I think some of the people who make these statements donít know because they have never tried it. I think <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place>Lake Michigan</st1:place> has a wealth to offer divers. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

techgnostic
07-22-2007, 22:55
Over the years, I've run across folks who are adamant that they will only dive in the ocean. Some have gone so far as to state the opinion that Bluewater diving is the only thing that should be called by that name.

What's YOUR opinion?

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyone who is that opinionated, needs to be basis for Open Water III.</DIV>

texdiveguy
07-22-2007, 23:05
I far prefer fresh water diving for plenty of reasons.... !!

dmdoss
07-22-2007, 23:11
I dont care as long as im diving.

the gooch
07-22-2007, 23:16
Doesn't matter to me. I had fun in the springs I dove for my OW class. I would dive them again if I had the chance.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 23:18
I dont care as long as im diving.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Can't agree more....</DIV>

Dive-aholic
07-23-2007, 00:14
Personally, I prefer fresh water, but my favorite dives happen to be in the fresh water springs of N. Florida. It's also a lot easier on gear...and no rinsing required!

57ChevyGreg
07-23-2007, 01:34
I believe those who dive "only" bluewater that live inland are missing out. If they can only take one or two trips a year to dive,many spend the first-day dives getting everything right with gear and bouyancy. Diving often, even if just in a local quarry, lake, etc. keeps the skills up and improves them to make those dive trips more enjoyable.

picxie
07-23-2007, 03:07
I far prefer fresh water diving for plenty of reasons.... !!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What are they?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've only done a couple of freshwater dives, and they were absolutely boring. But that was due to location, not the fact it was freshwater.</DIV>

WaterRat
07-23-2007, 12:04
I prefer blue water diving but I'm happy as long as I'm sucking air. If it's a boring lake then I play treasure hunter nad see what I can find. I haven't had the pleasure of diving caves yet. I'm sure I would be hooked.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

unclepooty
07-23-2007, 12:11
DITTO, i have been surprised at how addicted i have become

linalou
07-23-2007, 12:12
no kidding! i think these folks need another hobby! btw, who are they, so i can stay away from them??

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 16:40
While I certainly prefer blue water Caribbean diving I frankly can't afford it very often and I still love diving in the local quarries here. In fact the lower visibility diving has a charm all its own. I like having to actually swim over somewhere to see what's there some times. I remember when I wouldn't get in if the vis was less than 10' and now I'm happy provided I can make out my fins. I might even be convinced to dive in worse vis than that. The gear maintenance after a freshwater dive is another plus.

jacewindu
07-23-2007, 16:40
i think most people associate better animal life with the ocean. i've done a lot of saltwater and not too much freshwater, but it can't be stated enough that i'm happy just to dive.

thesmoothdome
07-23-2007, 22:53
Never had a chance to dive freshwater. Just give me a reason and I'd be all over it...if there's a purpose. Well preserved wrecks in the Great Lakes, to find Nessie, caves (if I had the training) would be a blast. Just give me a reason.

Moxie
07-23-2007, 22:59
What about salty green water? I love it all, it all has something to offer. Love green ocean for the life, love blue ocean for the viz and love the lakes for the wrecks.

Rascal1933
07-23-2007, 23:01
<DIV>How about Florida Springs!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Florida Springs flow the purest, clearest, and freshest water in the world with underwater views that are absolutely breathtaking. Awesome Vis year round is another plus!Some can be explored over 200 feet deep and over a mile underground.The average temperature of a Florida spring is 72 degrees year round which makes it excellent for scuba diving.</DIV>

Dive-aholic
07-24-2007, 03:26
Never had a chance to dive freshwater. Just give me a reason and I'd be all over it...if there's a purpose. Well preserved wrecks in the Great Lakes, to find Nessie, caves (if I had the training) would be a blast. Just give me a reason.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The freshwater springs of N. Florida. The fresh water cenotes of Quintana Roo, Mexico. Or how about this one - just to be able to get wet and breathe out of a reg on a regular basis.</DIV>

Ajuva
07-24-2007, 11:37
Moxie has mentioned the Green and Blue oceans, Over here the brown sea has as much to offer.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We tend to forget that it is the plankton and other detritus floating in these low vis areas that feed the myriad of sea life found there.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I love the carribean but get as big a buzz diving at home.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Where else can you dive in a loch used to test torpedoes in the second world war because of its length or to berth the UK submarine fleet because of its depth.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Brown water divers do it deep and dirty!</DIV>

lucidblue
07-25-2007, 11:00
I definitely prefer the warm blue waters (added bonus is it means I'm not at work and I'm on vacation). I'm not a fan of quarry diving, but it's the option I have readily available, so I'll do it to practice skills, etc. I really really hate 7mm wetsuits, hoods and thick gloves.

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 16:06
as long as its water and i can see im happy

rach
11-20-2007, 16:41
i did my certs in freshwater and fell in love with diving...now i dive in the caribbean once a week...as long as i'm diving i'm not hard to please!

CaribbeanDiver
11-20-2007, 16:58
Ocean diving for me. I do not even count my fresh water springs dives as dives. I dont log em and dont count em.
Now, if they were closer and I had a dry suit, then I would probably be in the springs all the time. Great place to work on skills but not really diving. Seeing a trout every 10 minutes is not what I call excitement.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-20-2007, 17:27
I love diving in the quarry or in the ocean. Heck, I even like diving in a pool.

tarheeldiver
11-20-2007, 18:00
Hey as long as its wet!

Bert
11-21-2007, 07:07
I guess its all in where you live, I'm in michigan so right now most of my diving will be fresh water.( just got certified this summer) I plan an taking the deep, extended,and wreck diving. wiht all those ship wrecks in my back yard plent of adventue awaits:smiley20:

Tableleg
11-21-2007, 08:51
If I'm underwater and have a regulator in my mouth, it's a dive.

Now if I had a preference, it would be ANY water, fresh or salt, that was warm, had cool life to look at or things to see, and had easy access. What's the point of jumping into a cold mud hole if there's nothing to do/see? :smiley2:

deepdiver47
11-21-2007, 19:11
It makes all the difference in the world. I am a self confessed blue water diver. The only other fresh water that I will dive in is cenote diving in Mexico which I consider blue water from a clarity standpoint.

I have done quarries and with their 4-6 ft vis is just boring and quite frankly makes me sick. But let me close with this, I defend your right to dive in those low vis, cold diving areas. :)

wheelman
11-21-2007, 19:49
I enjoy both! Actually, I just enjoy diving and don't live by the ocean so...

Soonerwink
11-21-2007, 20:31
Around here we call the divers that only dive blue water, vacation divers. Unless you have a lot of money and can travel once a month or more, you just can't get many dives in. I run into divers like this in Coz and they always wonder why their air doesn't last very long.

mitsuguy
11-21-2007, 21:15
Around here we call the divers that only dive blue water, vacation divers. Unless you have a lot of money and can travel once a month or more, you just can't get many dives in. I run into divers like this in Coz and they always wonder why their air doesn't last very long.

I much prefer the nice warm ocean water... but it really has more to do with warmth vs visibility/salt content...

Although I still go diving locally when I get a chance, I'm actually moving somewhere (Utila) where local diving is blue water diving...