PDA

View Full Version : A not so friendly response I received from SB

easyrider003
12-01-2007, 18:34
I posted a thread about I was thinking of purchasing the oceanic v16 split fins and the following was the response that I received:

"I have to interject a point here...

This is your third thread about fins, here in Basic Scuba discussions. If you want to discuss fins, go to the Mask/Snorkel/Fins forum and ask there. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Standard%20Smiles/03.gif
Also, it would appear that you are searching for someone to validate your opinion, rather than truly asking for others' thoughts on the subject.

You were given plenty of good suggestions here (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/210985-fin-problems.html) in your first fins thread.
Second fins thread can be found here (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/210999-anyone-ever-used-these-fins.html).

There must be a zillion threads on each of the fins you've asked about. The search function is quite useful."

I definitely agree that everyone on ST are much more friendly and for that I THANK EVERYONE. I was just simply asking if anyone had these fins and if so how did they like them.

ONCE AGAIN THANKS!!!!

Michael

Soonerwink
12-01-2007, 18:52
I hope none of the people that are that snooty ever migrate over to ST. Because right now this is a very enjoyable forum. I think it is the guys at ST and their leadership that keeps this forum so upbeat. Just search through their gear and you get a great feeling about their since of humor.

redneckdiver52
12-01-2007, 18:53
Some people on forums get pretty gaurded if you ask questions in an improper format. Watch yourself in the future but don't be afraid to post this is a pretty good bunch of people with a wealth of knowledge you can learn a lot here.

Navy OnStar
12-01-2007, 19:23
Has there been a rash of rude posts on ScubaBoard lately? There are several recent posts (today)either saying bad stuff happened at SB or praising ST for not having the same attitude.

Flatliner
12-01-2007, 19:28
Sorry easyrider, but I am not suprised. I have met some great people through SB but I have also learned that there are MANY MANY people like the one you quote.

FishFood
12-01-2007, 19:31
The SB bashing has been posted already!!!! USE THE SEARCH!!!!!

Kidding. Yes, much better here. :)

DivingsInMyBlood
12-01-2007, 19:38
I hope none of the people that are that snooty ever migrate over to ST. Because right now this is a very enjoyable forum. I think it is the guys at ST and their leadership that keeps this forum so upbeat. Just search through their gear and you get a great feeling about their since of humor.

We just have to give them (bad Scuba boarders) a kick in the pants if they come over here.

ianr33
12-01-2007, 19:42
I posted a thread about I was thinking of purchasing the oceanic v16 split fins and the following was the response that I received:
l

Dare you to post a thread saying you are thinking of buying a nitrox Spare Air :smiley36:

Navy OnStar
12-01-2007, 19:49
l

Dare you to post a thread saying you are thinking of buying a nitrox Spare Air :smiley36:

That's cruel. Why don't you just tie a pork chop around his neck and stick him in the bear pit!:smiley36:

easyrider003
12-01-2007, 20:01
I did post just to see what the responses would be. Ill let ya know what I get

Flatliner
12-01-2007, 20:05
l

STOP, I am going to WET my drysuit!!!!!!!!!!!!:smilie39:

IrishSquid
12-01-2007, 20:07
Has there been a rash of rude posts on ScubaBoard lately? There are several recent posts (today)either saying bad stuff happened at SB or praising ST for not having the same attitude.

Beside Scubatoys Forum, I am also a member of Scubaboard. I have met and made quite a few friends with some really great people from there, got great info, quite a few laughs, and also read some rude stuff also. I have seen quite a few bashes on this board about Scubaboard. Sooo....., out of curiosity, I checked the links provided by the OP. There weren't any bad comments made that I could discern in the links. In fact there was alot of friendly and helpful suggestions; some from people I have met personally.
I then went to the discussion that WAS moved to the equipment forum:
The one comment posted in the OP is the only one that could be considered rude or negative. Then more of the Scubaboard members came to the defense of the OP. There was one more very agressive post and it was made by the OP of this thread. I'm not taking any stand on this, I just thought that there has been a mild trend to bash the other board, and that is pretty much what they have been accused of. We need to treat bad posts like a bad song or show: Turn it off or move on to another channel until it's over. IMHO :smiley31: :smiley31: :smiley20:

IrishSquid
12-01-2007, 20:15

:smilie39: :smilie39:

Man, I think ianr33 was just setting you up, to throw yourself under the bus.

IrishSquid
12-01-2007, 20:20

:smilie39: :smilie39:

Man, I think ianr33 was just setting you up, to throw yourself under the bus.

I went and checked to see some of the responses. After reading some, it dawned on me to ask y'all: Isn't this "Trolling"?

diversteve
12-01-2007, 20:55
disclaimer: I am on staff (unpaid) on Scubaboard.

I'm on both forums daily and have found that everyone here is much friendlier and positive. I attribute that to Joe and Larry's light-handed moderation. And the size of the membership of this board.

I think both forums fill a different niche. Part of the reason this board doesn't have the negativity of Scubaboard lies strictly in it's membership size. SB is the "800 lb. gorilla..." and gets a resulting higher percentage of negative users. Generally over time they move on. It's unfortunate that some feel the need to vent on newer members but that happens.

On SB there are a lot more "experts" who have nothing better to do than deride less experienced posters. We try to moderate it but it happens since no group can moderate an entire board that size without help from the user base.

There is a report function on every thread that can be used for this by any user if they feel a post is inappropriate. Posting it here does less good unless you just want to vent about it.

Also there is an ignore function on SB that can be used for both threads and posters.

And not to knock anyone here but why the recent Scubaboard bashing in this and other threads?

I did post just to see what the responses would be. Ill let ya know what I getPosting as myself here and not on behalf of SB:

Why? What good can possibly come out of that? It's technically trolling (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=Trolling&match=all&titlesonly=0) also and a violation of Scubaboard's TOS (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?faq=tos_items#faq_scubaboard_tos). Plus we frown on that since deliberately posting to incite a reaction is really in no one's best interest.

I do enjoy being able to post here as I have a different username than on SB. Mostly because most of the staff there are at times targets of users who have nothing better to do than critique every nuance of every post made there.

After a while, it gets old...

480 volt
12-01-2007, 21:26
disclaimer: I am on staff (unpaid) on Scubaboard.

I'm on both forums daily and have found that everyone here is much friendlier and positive. I attribute that to Joe and Larry's light-handed moderation. And the size of the membership of this board.

I think both forums fill a different niche. Part of the reason this board doesn't have the negativity of Scubaboard lies strictly in it's membership size. SB is the "800 lb. gorilla..." and gets a resulting higher percentage of negative users. Generally over time they move on. It's unfortunate that some feel the need to vent on newer members but that happens.

On SB there are a lot more "experts" who have nothing better to do than deride less experienced posters. We try to moderate it but it happens since no group can moderate an entire board that size without help from the user base.

There is a report function on every thread that can be used for this by any user if they feel a post is inappropriate. Posting it here does less good unless you just want to vent about it.

Also there is an ignore function on SB that can be used for both threads and posters.

And not to knock anyone here but why the recent Scubaboard bashing in this and other threads?

I did post just to see what the responses would be. Ill let ya know what I getPosting as myself here and not on behalf of SB:

Why? What good can possibly come out of that? It's technically trolling also and we frown on that since deliberately posting to incite a reaction is really in no one's best interest. How is this any better than the poster who you complained about initiallly?

I do enjoy being able to post here as I have a different username than on SB. Mostly because most of the staff there are at times targets of users who have nothing better to do than critique every nuance of every post made there.

After a while, it gets old...

BS. Join again under a diffrent name and ask a simple question and read the responses. If you can,t understand just stay on SB and don,t screw this forum up.

texdiveguy
12-01-2007, 21:51
l

......... :)

UCFKnightDiver
12-01-2007, 21:52
One post by me I asked about the mares rebel r2 reg if you could take it deep and it still breathed fine 100 + and everyone was just like you have no buisness at that depth I meen comeon I just asked a simple ?, and got the most terrible answers. What if one day I wanted to do that? people seem to just not think on that forum, and also have no sense of empathy at all. To diversteave there was one guy on my side so no not all of it is bad but the guys that are mess it up for everyone in my view. Thats when I stopped posting on that forum unless it was to see if anyone wanted to dive.

diversteve
12-01-2007, 22:05
BS.What is BS? I honestly would appreciate an explanation of where you feel we differ.

Join again under a diffrent name and ask a simple question and read the responses.I won't because that violates the Scubaboard TOS. And I'm guessing Scubatoys has a similar requirement also. We call people that do that sockpuppets since they rejoin to appear to support an issue under multiple user names. And it does happen, there was an LDS who once posted under multiple usernames to improve their standing in a "best " poll.

If you can,t understand just stay on SBI do understand as evidenced by my agreement with most of what the OP posted.
And I doubt most people, myself included, would find this too complimentary:

If you can,t understand just stay on SB and don,t screw this forum up.

although it could be considered a negative post on your 5th post here...I don't take it that way. Maybe I've become immune due to frequent bashings on SB. Which in itself is a sad commentary.

UCFKnightDiver
12-01-2007, 22:20
ok guys enough said last end this on a good note before it gets nasty, I am sure the board will be fine everyone just needs to reread their own posts, if you put yourself in others shoes and might be offended than chances are someone that reads your post might be offended too

diversteve
12-01-2007, 22:29
One post by me I asked about the mares rebel r2 reg if you could take it deep and it still breathed fine 100 + and everyone was just like you have no buisness at that depth I meen comeon I just asked a simple ?, and got the most terrible answers. What if one day I wanted to do that? people seem to just not think on that forum, and also have no sense of empathy at all. To diversteave there was one guy on my side so no not all of it is bad but the guys that are mess it up for everyone in my view.I'm not about to suggest that it doesn't happen. Frankly there's a whole lot of so-called "experts" that I'd prefer take their comments elsewhere. And a whole bunch of cyber-divers - SB even had a user category for them at one time.

I think some of the responses you received were due to your age and dive count and in their own blunt way trying to be helpful. I used to get that from the "experts" when I first started diving also. Some people feel that imparting their wisdom to you is their purpose in life. Hopefully most just want to dive...

Thats when I stopped posting on that forum unless it was to see if anyone wants to dive.
I find that sad...but I can't pretend things will be getting any better either. As they most likely won't.

Ever posted on the usenet group rec.scuba? People there are brutal and offensive while hiding behind their anonymity. As happens less on SB since at least the Mods know who you are. And an effort is made to police that.

Desert_Diver
12-02-2007, 00:44
Thats when I stopped posting on that forum unless it was to see if anyone wants to dive.
I find that sad...but I can't pretend things will be getting any better either. As they most likely won't.

Ever posted on the usenet group rec.scuba? People there are brutal and offensive while hiding behind their anonymity. As happens less on SB since at least the Mods know who you are. And an effort is made to police that.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing/flaming anyone, however, I have to agree that I don't post much on Scuba Board anymore. At one time, I was a supporting member but after a while I didn't feel I could give financial support to the sort of behavior that seems all too common over there. There are some quite knowledgeable and pleasant people on Scuba Board (NW Grateful Diver comes to mind) but there is a large group whose hemorrhoids seem to be in a perpetual state of acute inflammation. I still read the mail on a daily basis but very seldom post any more. Maybe it is childish on my part, but it sure does lock my jaws up to be the object of some of the infantile jabs that get tossed around on a regular basis. And I find it quite interesting that there is an identifiable group that you can count on respond in that fashion. It's better for my blood pressure not to post, or respond to petulant, sarcastic, or inaccurate information that I read.

Please do not infer that I am accusing you of that sort of thing, nor do I want you to think I am "mod bashing". I am suspicious of some of the motivations at Scuba Board that may contribute to the bad behavior. I think the administration of Scuba Board wants very badly to increase the number of registered Scuba Board users (whether they are active or not) in order to impress potential scuba advertisers with the size of the user base. More users means Scuba Board can charge more for advertising space. Reining in the bad behavior would probably entail banishing unruly users. That drives the user count in the wrong direction. Users who are offended and leave, or limit their usage, don't get dropped from the rolls. They are still counted when the advertisers are courted even though they aren't actively reading the board anymore.

Pete is in business and is trying to maximize his profit. Unfortunately, he has chosen to dance with a devil that I personally would avoid. It's his choice and I won't criticize him for it but it's not my style.

And none of this is directed at you. Your posts seem to me to be polite and reasoned and I certainly would not suggest you leave because you don't share my perceptions or sentiments about Scuba Board. I find Scuba Toys to be a friendly, informative, and humorous place to hang out. And Larry is a pretty good guy in spite of his best efforts to keep me in poverty. (sigh)

Art

easyrider003
12-02-2007, 06:40
"Why? What good can possibly come out of that? It's technically trolling (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=Trolling&match=all&titlesonly=0) also and a violation of Scubaboard's TOS (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?faq=tos_items#faq_scubaboard_tos). "

I wasn't posting to cause trouble. I could care less what they say about it so its not gonna offend me in anyway nor am I gonna reply back. Honestly I know nothing of the nitrox spare air, so maybe I will actually learn something from the post rather than people think I am actually trying to stir up trouble. So honestly I don't see any harm,such as me trying to stir up trouble, in posting the forum

Michael

easyrider003
12-02-2007, 06:43
and also I did not say that I had a ton of negative responses to my fin question, I was just saying that was a response I received. Some people were talking about the negative responses you can receive over on SB so I thought I would post an example of the ONE that I received (this is to whoever said that they went and searched what I was talking about and that most were postive, which is absolutely true, just ONE bad comment)

Zenagirl
12-02-2007, 07:31
There is a lot about SB that is valuable, and I have a few subforums that I enjoy and regularly post in. I've just learned not to talk about certain things, and not to read certain subforums.

Matt P
12-02-2007, 07:36
I looks like this thread may be moving in an undesirable direction. :smiley5: I invite everyone on this board to join me in this promise (http://forum.scubatoys.com/about-site/7145-my-promise-you-no-more-sb-posts.html#post100735). :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
12-02-2007, 08:28
A very good idea... Our forum is built on the belief there is no reason to insult or put down any other person or company just because they have different beliefs... So I feel a lot of sides of this coin have been already examined here, and everyone is simply free to go to any forum they want. I appreciate the kind comments people have made about our forum and members, but before we get too out of hand, I'm going to simply close this thread.

And now... maybe on to the thoughts of scuba!