PDA

View Full Version : My Promise to You: No More SB Posts

Matt P
12-01-2007, 20:47
ScubaToyís excellent, down-home, customer service has elicited a strong following in the dive community. The creation of this forum has added to the dive communityís sense of good will and loyalty. There are many places on the web in which an idle diver can spend his time. This forum provides a comfortable, friendly, place to openly discuss our passion without concern of being chastised by the demagogy. For those reasons, I choose this place.

Weíve all been to other boards. Many of us have posted here about our experiences with other zealous and sometimes one-dimensional dive communities. Iím guilty of it myself. Sometimes other boards have negative vibes. Negativity is viral. It is easy. It is cheap. It requires no thought. ScubaToys has provided a new neighborhood. This is not the other boards. This is ScubaToys.com. Letís use it to build a different community.

Specifically, I'm talking about threads & posts with negative SB comments because of [insert complaint here]. Yes, I realize that most of the comments about SB made here are to illuminate the positive aspects of the ST forum. But, it is not necessary to denigrate other web communities to illustrate fondness for this community. Do you want to praise ScubaToys? Do so by enumerating your positive experiences here. They, alone, should speak for themselves.

We donít live in a 2 dimensional world. SB isnít all bad. ST isnít all good. Letís give it a rest. Can we all agree to leave SB at the door when we enter ST? Can we all agree to be open and positive here? I like it here. Lets not bring negativity to this place.

I would argue that ScubaToys actually owes some of its success to ScubaBoard. Lots of new divers are referred to this site from that forum. Honestly, I like it there too. If you really feel the need to complain about ScubaBoard then post your comments here (http://www.ScubaBoard.com).

My vow to you is this. I will make no more comments about ScubaBoard on this web site - regardless of whether those comments are positive or negative. That is not the purpose of this forum. I will not allow my experiences on ANY other board to cause me to pollute this community with negativity. Will you step up too?

The real motivating factor behind this thread is not to defend ScubaBoard. It is to request that we don't go start down the path of empty follow-the-leader bashing. Negativity is contagious. I don't want it to become the "norm" here. Next thing you know we'll be cannibalizing divers who have not been assimilated.

fisheater
12-02-2007, 00:34
Wise words.

Thanks.

tarheeldiver
12-02-2007, 06:23
I agree good post

ScubaJenn81
12-02-2007, 07:41
We should all step it up now.

jwdizney
12-02-2007, 08:18
Well said Matt!:smiley32:

PsychDiver
12-02-2007, 09:28
Sounds like a good policy. I will not mention the forum whose name we do not speak. Just keeping it fun here at ST forum.

BuzzF117
12-02-2007, 10:26
I no longer even read the forums at HOME - Scuba Diving Magazine (http://www.scubadiving.com) since I discovered this forum and I found it because somebody posted info about it over there.

mitchy
12-05-2007, 18:21
Agreed - I like the positive vibe here, and hope it remains that way.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
12-05-2007, 18:33
Wimp! :smiley2:

scubajane
12-05-2007, 19:39
I've never been to the other forums. I spend so much time here I don't have time for another forum. I have carpal tunnel syndrome form posting yet....I love it here. I have found new trustworthy friends. thanks Larry and Joe!!

wheelman
12-05-2007, 19:53
I'm in. good post Matt.

thor
12-06-2007, 09:49
I think that this was already posted in another thread, perhaps over at SB.

BoomerNJ
12-12-2007, 18:46
I soooo agree... Good post... Let the assimilations begin...

adv_diver1
12-12-2007, 18:48
This post is too deep for my blood. I dive within the recreational limits. ;-)

kancho
01-04-2008, 07:44
I used SB before, it was useful. But I prefer this place is feels more homely

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 19:53
This is a great place to be when were not diving.

Scotttyd
05-24-2008, 08:05
I think that this was already posted in another thread, perhaps over at SB.

:smilie39:
wow, violation number 1

Splitlip
05-24-2008, 13:57
I used SB before, it was useful. But I prefer this place is feels more homely
You better believe it! Have you seen some of the profile pics here compared to ScubaBoard?

elijahb
05-24-2008, 15:00
I never used scuba board

cmburch
05-24-2008, 15:43
I have noticed a lot of duplicated posts on SB and ST. Same people with same user names post exact same thread on both boards.

RoyN
05-24-2008, 17:50
I only post dual threads here at ST and over at SB if I'm selling something. Otherwise, I just go into Denise's nonsense thread and just hang in there. The North california forum sometimes is crowded with over the top DIRs and conservative ripping each other apart about gear configuration to scuba diving itself.

maggs_the
05-24-2008, 17:55
SB is how i found ST in the first place so how could i regret SB?

i do love the silliness of ST.. and it's just a click away from my favorite dive shop :smiley20:

harb99
05-24-2008, 18:02
I have noticed a lot of duplicated posts on SB and ST. Same people with same user names post exact same thread on both boards.

i have done this on occasion looking for opinions about certain products - i figure that SB is more traveled than the ST's forum, but wanted to see the response from both places.

IrishSquid
05-24-2008, 18:18

i have done this on occasion looking for opinions about certain products - i figure that SB is more traveled than the ST's forum, but wanted to see the response from both places.

I use the same name and Avatar on both sites. I enjoy both. :smiley20:

harb99
05-24-2008, 18:57
I use the same name and Avatar on both sites. I enjoy both. :smiley20:

same here - except i do not use an avatar at this time