PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Newb looking for fin info

the register
12-01-2007, 22:35
Hello all, I'm going for my O/W cert right now (finish the confined dives and such this week) and have been planning on getting some new fins ASAP. Right now I'm diving with a Tusa snorkeling setup that I got for christmas last year, so I'm thinking just about any fins I get will be an upgrade, but I'm trying to buy something long-term.

From what I've seen so far it is definitely true 'everybody has their own fin preferences', and it also seems like there are a lot of good fins out there and any on here are probably good (and boy are there a lot of them).

I am in pretty good shape, but I also am a very mediocre/slightly crappy swimmer, so I'm afraid to find one that requires really good form or will beat me down until I get better. Also, my local dive center doesn't let you try the fins until after you've paid for them, so I can't really try before I buy....

So I'm kind of flying blind at this point -- I've been looking at a lot of fins, right now the ones at the top of my mind are quattros or bio fins. I'm afraid quattros are going to be too much work for my mediocre swimmer legs and bio fins are a big investment when not being able to try them before hand.

So, should I:
* just not get any fins right now, stick with the snorkel setup for a bit and/or rent some for open water?
* look only at splits to avoid any extra leg strain?
* stop stressing about it and just get one that seems to fit my foot well at the store?
* not worry about quattros killing me and be confident my form'll improve (which I'm working on)
* not write such long posts? :smiley36:

Soonerwink
12-01-2007, 23:05
I started my OW with the TUSA snorkling set also. I tried some other divers TUSA Xpert Zooms (split fins) and liked them alot, so I bought a pair of them. I think you should just use what you have to get through your OW. Take a look at what the other divers in your class are using and check to see if they will let you try them. If you buy fins from your LDS and don't like them will they let you return them? I wouldn't buy any that I couldn't try.

tarheeldiver
12-02-2007, 06:39
I started my OW with the TUSA snorkling set also. I tried some other divers TUSA Xpert Zooms (split fins) and liked them alot, so I bought a pair of them. I think you should just use what you have to get through your OW. Take a look at what the other divers in your class are using and check to see if they will let you try them. If you buy fins from your LDS and don't like them will they let you return them? I wouldn't buy any that I couldn't try.
Good advice from Soonerwink

Zenagirl
12-02-2007, 07:21
Is there another LDS you can go to that will let you try fins in the water? You could also call the guys at ScubaToys and see what their policy on returning fins after trying is.

Damselfish
12-02-2007, 08:22
I think people do stress about fins a lot more than neccessary. Sure, you'd like to develop better technique if you think yours is bad. But that's true of any fins, and it's not like any fins won't propel you if your technique is not perfect. And you'll get better with practice if you're aware of it.

Both those fins are good. If you're in decent shape and don't have any particular knee problems (or other things people say splits help with) I don't see why the Quattros should be a problem, and they're a lot cheaper. I don't think I would buy splits without at least trying them first, people seem to love or hate them. I'd try to get away with your snorkeling stuff until you find a way to try other fins, you might even meet up with someone on a local dive or find someone locally here that will let you borrow theirs.

CaribbeanDiver
12-02-2007, 10:52
First, you need to find another LDS. Not letting you try them before you buy them stinks. I bet they do not have a pool, huh?
Second, stick with what you have for OW training. Then shop around, look around and try several pairs on.
Talk with Scuba Toys they will not steer you wrong, will take the time to listen to your needs and what you like and offer several suggestions. If you do not like what you get, ST will let you send them back.
Scuba Toys is unlike any dive shop you will see, they are truly interested in the customer's welfare and offer unsurpassed service. The kicker is, in doing this, they turn a profit and earn dedicated loyal customers.
Dont buy anywhere unless you check with Scuba Toys first. And I say this because every time I turn around, they do something else to impress me and prove they deserve my business.

the register
12-02-2007, 19:52
I started my OW with the TUSA snorkling set also. I tried some other divers TUSA Xpert Zooms (split fins) and liked them alot, so I bought a pair of them. I think you should just use what you have to get through your OW. Take a look at what the other divers in your class are using and check to see if they will let you try them. If you buy fins from your LDS and don't like them will they let you return them? I wouldn't buy any that I couldn't try.Yeah, it sucks, their policy says they don't accept returns on used gear. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one making it without tons of gear right off the bat. Somewhat good/somewhat bad, I'm the only one in my class (december in Chicago's not a big time for scuba), but my instructor offered to let me try his scuba pro twin jets, so maybe I'll take him up on that.

Both those fins are good. If you're in decent shape and don't have any particular knee problems (or other things people say splits help with) I don't see why the Quattros should be a problem, and they're a lot cheaper.
Yeah, I'm thinking biofins are a bit over the top for a first time investment (even considering "they'll last forever" and "buy only gear you'll want for a long time"). And I'm in pretty good shape, and willing to let some fins get me into better shape :smiley1:.

First, you need to find another LDS. Not letting you try them before you buy them stinks. I bet they do not have a pool, huh?
Second, stick with what you have for OW training. Then shop around, look around and try several pairs on.
Talk with Scuba Toys they will not steer you wrong, will take the time to listen to your needs and what you like and offer several suggestions. If you do not like what you get, ST will let you send them back.
On Black Friday I called up the shop, had my trunks in the car and asked them how long they were open and double checked that I could try stuff in the pool. I think the response I got was "uhh, after you've paid for them you're free to try them in the pool" Definitely not what I had in mind, and quite a bit disappointing. Is that really as odd as I thought it was?

I really want to support my LDS, but when they said that it kind of blew the wind out of my sails. Especially when they're charging $108 for fins that are $75 online. I don't really have a problem paying a small surplus to a local shop (especially since they aren't all that prevalent in this chicagoland area), but I feel like I should get more than classes out of them.

Kokomo
12-02-2007, 21:52
My LDS definitely lets me return something I don't like. In any event, I LOVE my Cressi Frog fins. They are easy for me to swim in and they didn't break the bank.

ScubaJW
12-02-2007, 22:42
When I was a newbie, I bought Cressi-sub Frog fins and I hate them. They used to hurt my calves and not comfy finning. So I bought ScubaPro, I hate their foot pocket, too firm and not comfy. And finally, I bought Apollo biofins, they rock! They do feel like a pair of slippers! I love them. :)

Firefyter
12-02-2007, 23:11
I'm a mediocre swimmer at best, and I love my Quattro's. With that being said, E-bay is your friend. You can always find several varieties of used fins there, at decent prices. Keep trying until you find one you like, and resell the others.......

the register
12-03-2007, 20:41
I'm a mediocre swimmer at best, and I love my Quattro's. With that being said, E-bay is your friend. You can always find several varieties of used fins there, at decent prices. Keep trying until you find one you like, and resell the others.......

Great to here, from a fellow sponge. I think I'm as of right now going to take my time and wait til after the OW class and keep my eyes open on ebay.

Sad, but oh well. Maybe I'll buy some boots though.

Grizbear98
01-06-2008, 22:03
The only things I bought for my OW were a pair of boots and gloves, it was October and freezing. The boots were a really good idea, as well as the gloves, and even though I ended up finishing the course in June, I used the thick boots and gloves then too (I get cold really easily).

MLenyo
01-10-2008, 20:50
i was appalled at the cost of fins when i took OW. but now i've got scubatoys!

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-26-2008, 09:57
Uhh... I remember when I was looking at a new pair of fins. It took me three months to settle on the Scubapro Twin Jet Max Fins instead of Bio Fins, though I still haven't tried them out yet. I think you should definantly wait a bit before buying expensive fins, your form and leg strength may improve, and this may make a different fin mor suitable. Just my 2 cents.