PDA

View Full Version : Urge To Purge

GruPoo
12-01-2007, 22:41
We are putting together a spare parts kit. Ties, O rings, straps are easy to find. What about purge disks for masks and snorkels? Does anyone know where we can find some or how to make one?

Thanks.

GruPoo
12-02-2007, 16:56
Come on people! I bet my wife $5 we would have at least three replies with three diffrent places by Monday night. Please don't make me pay up.

:smiley19:

fisheater
12-02-2007, 17:21
Did you specify that the replies would be helpful? I sure hope not. You might lose.

mm2002
12-02-2007, 17:41
A roll of duct tape.

GruPoo
12-02-2007, 20:46
A roll of duct tape.

Actually I was thinking about closing it up.

Why bother? Graphed prescription lenses. Of course maybe a better question would have been: "Can prescription lenses be removed and placed into another mask without compromising anything?".

mm2002
12-02-2007, 21:10
Actually, there are a lot of folks here with a BUNCH more diving experience than myself, however, mechanically, I'm fairly savvy.
I've seen quite a variety of masks and snorkels with a purge valve, and from what I've seen there doesn't really seem to be a standard size. I seriously doubt there would be a separate purge disk you could buy, let alone one that would fit whatever gear you're using. That's just my opinion.

As far as prescription lenses, well that would be a different thread entirely.

azdiver
12-14-2007, 18:15
If you're looking for purges try : seavisionusa.com

They make masks with and without purges and will install purges in any mask you send them. You mjight be able to just buy purges from them.

Damselfish
12-14-2007, 18:25
you could always just have a spare mask, then you have a backup for any mask mishap.

GruPoo
12-21-2007, 23:42
If you're looking for purges try : seavisionusa.com

They make masks with and without purges and will install purges in any mask you send them. You mjight be able to just buy purges from them.

Interesting you would mention Sea Vision! I am looking at getting another mask and was hoping to try them. My LDS turned me on to these.

Speaking of which, if you need a local resource (LDS) let me know. Though we should never judge, I have for what it is worth. The people at ScubaToys are wonderful and the folks at my LDS are fine and trustworthy. I stand by both.

azdiver
12-22-2007, 08:36
Seavision makes several nice masks and they have a quick turnaround when you send a mask in to them to have a purge installed. I've referred several clients to them as well and they were all quite pleased with the service.

I sent them a mask to have a purge installed about two weeks prior to a trip and they got it back to me within a few days! They also included free defog (worked quite well) back to me with the mask. :-)

ReefHound
12-22-2007, 09:25
I would avoid purge masks in the first place. Just eliminate that failure point from the get go. Not needed on a snorkel either, in fact the entire snorkel is not needed IMO.

rach
12-22-2007, 12:51
i never have a snorkel with me...in fact, i just left for a 3 week pure diving vacation and don't even know that i brought it...sure hope i don't need it! :smiley5:

CaptainRon
12-22-2007, 22:32
I had a mask I really like but did not care for the purge valve it had. I just closed it off with a silicon adhesive caulk.