PDA

View Full Version : GUE courses in Oregon?

Z-naught
12-02-2007, 07:53
I'm interested in taking GUE's DIR Fundamentals course but strangely there is a dearth of information on GUE's website about where to find such training. Does anyone know if there any GUE courses offered in the state of Oregon?

Cheers.

plot
12-12-2007, 13:16
I'm interested in taking GUE's DIR Fundamentals course but strangely there is a dearth of information on GUE's website about where to find such training. Does anyone know if there any GUE courses offered in the state of Oregon?

Cheers.

You might try the DIR section over at scubaboard. There's a big following over there... or some of the technical oriented boards.

Just don't turn into a DIR nazi that thinks any other way it suicidal :smiley2:

MSilvia
12-12-2007, 13:29
We flew an instructor in to teach our class, picked him up at the airport, and put him up in a hotel for the weekend. If there isn't a class offered, contact an instructor and make it happen.

CompuDude
12-12-2007, 13:30
The way to do it is to contact your closest GUE instructor directly. It's right on GUE's website.

gue.com/Training/Instructors/index.html (http://www.gue.com/Training/Instructors/index.html)

There are no instructors listed in Oregon, but I know there is at least one if not more in Washington (Seattle area has a very active DIR community), so you may not have to travel very far, depending on which part of Oregon you're in.

Z-naught
12-12-2007, 16:31
There are no instructors listed in Oregon, but I know there is at least one if not more in Washington (Seattle area has a very active DIR community), so you may not have to travel very far, depending on which part of Oregon you're in.

Washington is close enough; Among Pacific NW divers the Hood Canal is an extremely popular destination and I'm quite familiar with the region. Perhaps a GUE instructor may be found up there. I'll probably contact a DIR diver community in the Seattle area and try to do some practice diving before I commit to DIR-F.

Thanks for the link. When I'm ready for DIR-F I'll make inquiries with an instructor personally.

Cheers

Z-naught
12-12-2007, 16:45
Just don't turn into a DIR nazi that thinks any other way it suicidal :smiley2:

From what I've gathered, GUE dive training is quite rigorous and its associated DIR philosophy rather enlightening. However, I've never been one to say, "it's my way or the highway." Absolutism is pretty nonsensical really. I don't think GUE training grants a license for elitism, rather it just enhances and expands upon a diver's skills. Whether PADI, GUE, self taught, or otherwise, as long as a diver uses safe practices, I'm cool with it.

LCF
12-14-2007, 06:02
Steve White is our local (Seattle) GUE instructor. I took Fundies and Rec Triox from him. He's a very good guy. He's been running Fundies classes about every other month. You can reach him at stephenawhite@hotmail.com. (He's currently in Italy, I believe, but he usually gets his e-mail when he's there.)

Z-naught
12-14-2007, 11:07
Cool, now I know exactly who to go to when I'm ready for DIR-F. Thanks LCF!

CompuDude
12-14-2007, 12:01
Steve White is our local (Seattle) GUE instructor. I took Fundies and Rec Triox from him. He's a very good guy. He's been running Fundies classes about every other month. You can reach him at stephenawhite@hotmail.com. (He's currently in Italy, I believe, but he usually gets his e-mail when he's there.)

Yup, that's the one. Thanks, Lynne! :)