PDA

View Full Version : Budget Wetsuit Recommendation

in_cavediver
12-02-2007, 21:07
Since I just hit post 250, its time to look to use that $50 reward and a budget wetsuit comes to mind. Basically, I plan to have it for dives in the 70ish temp range where I don't want to hassle with a drysuit or want the added flexibility of a wetsuit. Thinking in the 5mm-7mm range and nothing premium. If its that cold, I have a couple drysuits to choose from.

As of now, here are my thermal options
1) Dive Rite 905 Dry suit (primary choice)
2) 1/2mm skin w/ 7mm shorty for warm water
3) Whites Aquapro dry suit for backup
4) An old Whites 7mm suit that doesn't fit to well (tight) and really needs burned. I can sink the full suit with 4lbs of lead if that tells you anything. (it took 18lbs when new)

Thinking a 5mm or newer 7mm would be a nice addition.

Thanks!

Mike

Steve Scuba
12-02-2007, 22:24
For a budget suit, I can personally recommend the Pinnacle Cruiser 7/5. I got mine from ST for just over $150 (special order). It's warm, flexible, and comes in mid-sizes and tall sizes, which is great for a good fit. The price was definitely right too.

ScubaJW
12-02-2007, 23:05
You can use 5mm full suit with skin inside, that would be less weight burden. If you get cold easily, then a 7mm full suit would probably be better choice.

Charles R
12-02-2007, 23:12
this henderson suit is a good deal Henderson suit Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit, Wetsuits: Women, Henderson, Henderson suit Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=5mmThermopreneFullSuit)

tarheeldiver
12-02-2007, 23:27
I got a Tilos 7/5 semidry suit from Scubatoys that I really like a good suit for the price .Scubatoys doesn't have it on the website but will get you one

Puffer Fish
12-03-2007, 00:12
Since I just hit post 250, its time to look to use that $50 reward and a budget wetsuit comes to mind. Basically, I plan to have it for dives in the 70ish temp range where I don't want to hassle with a drysuit or want the added flexibility of a wetsuit. Thinking in the 5mm-7mm range and nothing premium. If its that cold, I have a couple drysuits to choose from.

4) An old Whites 7mm suit that doesn't fit to well (tight) and really needs burned. I can sink the full suit with 4lbs of lead if that tells you anything. (it took 18lbs when new)

Thanks!

Mike
I believe that Bare has a line now that is all the superstretch stuff, for not a lot of money... I would get one of those (assuming bare sizing fits you). I am sure the guys at ST's can get them.

texdiveguy
12-03-2007, 00:19
Mike I would give serious consideration to the BARE line of wet suits,all I dive and they are great!

BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection (http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_list.aspx?id=165)

CODMAN
12-03-2007, 09:41
I agree with the Above posters. BARE wetsuits are a great deal for the price, have a gazillion different sizes (long, short, etc...) so you can find what will fit best, are very comfy ( I own 2) and esthetically I find them pretty nice too (if that is of any importance to you).

Hope this helps!

h2odragon1
12-03-2007, 10:37
I'll second Steve, the Pinnacle cruiser is a great suit! and a great price!:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

ChrisA
12-12-2007, 14:58
For a budget wetsuit it is hard to beat a "bear suit". Not "Bare" but "Bear".
One of the local shops here sells these. You get a 7mm full suit with front zipper for $99.95 If you don't want a full suit you can cut the legs and arm to whatever length you like.

in_cavediver
12-12-2007, 20:23
One of the local shops here sells these. You get a 7mm full suit with front zipper for $99.95 If you don't want a full suit you can cut the legs and arm to whatever length you like.

Is that a dive suit or a surface suit? I have seen lots of the low quality neoprene for surfers/wakeboarders around but it crushes badly with depth.

CaribbeanDiver
12-12-2007, 21:50

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, I see you listed the Dive Rite 905,,, I believe it sells for around $1600 without undergarments, boots, etc...
I did some checking on the Fusion by White's and the regional manager (the guy I got to answer all of my questions) told me they have a package deal whereby you can get the suit, undergarments, boots and bag for around $1600.
Now, since this is what he quoted, I would bet you can get it cheaper' especially, at ST who happens to be a White's dealer (I think)
anyway, it may be another option for you to consider.

adv_diver1
12-12-2007, 22:18
Not sure of your size, but I don't seem to fit into any normal sized suit. I always get the COLD backdraft that defeats the purpose of the suit. I rented any brands, styles and sizes, but to no effect. I am planning on using a lyrca suit, a torso suit and then a thin suit.

Good luck. You many want to test a few and get a custom one if you can't find a good fitter.

CaptainRon
12-12-2007, 22:34
You might look at the Neo Sport 4/3 for $85. Subtract your 10% and you can get it for around $77. I just got one and dove with it in 71 degree water a couple of weeks ago and stayed plenty warm.

Neo Sport 4/3 Mens Full Wetsuit, Wetsuits: Men, Neosport, Neo Sport 4/3 Mens Full Wetsuit (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo4_3FullM)

danielh03
12-13-2007, 02:05
I asked Joe about the Hendersons they have on special, and he spoke highly of them!!! may add one to my order I have placed!

in_cavediver
12-13-2007, 05:02

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, I see you listed the Dive Rite 905,,, I believe it sells for around $1600 without undergarments, boots, etc...
I did some checking on the Fusion by White's and the regional manager (the guy I got to answer all of my questions) told me they have a package deal whereby you can get the suit, undergarments, boots and bag for around $1600.
Now, since this is what he quoted, I would bet you can get it cheaper' especially, at ST who happens to be a White's dealer (I think)
anyway, it may be another option for you to consider.

I actually already own the 905 suit. (picked it up for $600) as well as the whites suit (got it first). I just need /want a cheap wetsuit that fits.

Thanks

Mike

Puffer Fish
12-13-2007, 05:05
I asked Joe about the Hendersons they have on special, and he spoke highly of them!!! may add one to my order I have placed!
Those are great suits for the money..closeouts can be wonderful things.

PsychDiver
12-13-2007, 06:34
I have three Bare suits and love the fit. Good prices too! For water in the 70s I wouldn't go anything thicker than a 5mm and would even consider a 3mm if you are the type of person who doesn't get cold easy.

CompuDude
12-13-2007, 16:03

Is that a dive suit or a surface suit? I have seen lots of the low quality neoprene for surfers/wakeboarders around but it crushes badly with depth.

It's a dive suit. Not going to help you spend your ST money, however, as it is a store brand suit sold at a local shop here, Pacific Wilderness (http://www.pacificwilderness.com/). I suppose it's possible you could phone order it if you wanted, but I don't know how set up they are for that. No dive gear on their website, only t-shirts. The wetsuit is from their "Bear Wear" line of products.

I've seen the suits in question, and I agree they seem like quite a bargain. I can't recall the exact price, but I'm pretty sure they're under $250... possibly even under $200. There is a review here: California Diving News : Dive Gear Review - Bearskin Pro Tech Semi-dry Suit (http://www.cadivingnews.com/reviews/gear/bearskin.html)

To a certain extent, however, you get what you pay for. They essentially copied the Xcel design, and cut a lot of corners to get the price down as low as they did. Small little details are not quite as nice as the Xcel suit (which is truly on the best semi dry's I've ever seen), but the overall idea is pretty much identical.

in_cavediver
12-13-2007, 19:13
Well, with the 250 post gift certificate and the clearance price of $85, I had to go with the 4/3 suit here:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/wetsuits/2783-talk-me-larry.html#post41114

Thanks Larry and Joe. That price rocks ($35 after discount)

CODMAN
12-14-2007, 07:55
Well that is definetly budget and a good choice I think! It almost makes me wish I bought one during my last order! :smiley29:

Cheers!

Well, with the 250 post gift certificate and the clearance price of $85, I had to go with the 4/3 suit here:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/wetsuits/2783-talk-me-larry.html#post41114

Thanks Larry and Joe. That price rocks ($35 after discount)