PDA

View Full Version : Pin vs. Clip Spring straps

KnottyKnotter
12-03-2007, 10:23
Selecting spring style fin straps; what are advantages/disadvantages of "Pin" versus "Clip" style spring straps.

ReefHound
12-03-2007, 10:51
Actually there are three types. The pin, the quick snap "clip", and the slot that slides over the post.

I prefer the pin style because they are more secure and streamlined. They are the type used on SP Jets and OMS Slipstreams and a few others but I wouldn't alter fins to accept them. The quick snaps are easy to install and change out but you still have this plastic failure point and one of the reasons for springs is to bypass the plastic for something more sturdy and reliable. The slot types are sturdier but can slide off easily if you don't use rubber washers or zip ties.

KnottyKnotter
12-03-2007, 11:12
OMG Reefhound....... decisions, decisions. You just complicated things for me.

I've decided on buying the Apollo Bio Pro, plan to order within a few days; but having a heck of a time deciding on straps......

I'm not a technical, cave, wreck diver yet! But doesn't mean I won't be.

I'm new to diving, like the thrills in life, understand the meaning of good equipment, and also know I don't want to spend $200 on a pair of fins/spring straps to find I've made a mistake for the future.

I hear about pins, buckles, and sliders for attaching straps. I can purchase the Apollo with standard straps (not sure what that is) or I can buy them with spring straps installed (not sure what that means, I hear they're a permanent install. Not sure how that fits within the pin, buckle, or slider options; or is it a fourth option???

ReefHound
12-03-2007, 11:39
It's actually a different style than the other three and if you want those fins with springs then that simplifies your decision. The extra $50 for the springs is reasonable.

They look like standard post fins so you could install post/slot style straps yourself but why bother. The custom style solves the problem of failure points, streamlining, and holding secure. The only drawback is they are "permanent" but theoretically they should last as long as the fins. What's the warranty?

Puffer Fish
12-03-2007, 12:01
OMG Reefhound....... decisions, decisions. You just complicated things for me.

I've decided on buying the Apollo Bio Pro, plan to order within a few days; but having a heck of a time deciding on straps......

I'm not a technical, cave, wreck diver yet! But doesn't mean I won't be.

I'm new to diving, like the thrills in life, understand the meaning of good equipment, and also know I don't want to spend $200 on a pair of fins/spring straps to find I've made a mistake for the future.

I hear about pins, buckles, and sliders for attaching straps. I can purchase the Apollo with standard straps (not sure what that is) or I can buy them with spring straps installed (not sure what that means, I hear they're a permanent install. Not sure how that fits within the pin, buckle, or slider options; or is it a fourth option???
Most of us that use springs, had fins without them for a long time.. and usually learned to hate them.

There is the size issue, but the installed are a very streamlined design, that is easy on and easy off and very secure and durable. But they all work... and the snap in replacements are easy to do (but have the potential entanglement issue - which is not an issue really, to most people). I have both (apollo with the factory and tulsa with chip in ones) both work... but I like the apollo better.

KnottyKnotter
12-03-2007, 13:45
Thanks all. I think I've made my decision to have spring straps installed at purchase.