PDA

View Full Version : Reading lenses - Need help seeing

KnottyKnotter
12-03-2007, 10:50
Okay, so my eyes have gone bad. What the heck, like everything else; I too am getting old.

Anyway, I have a Deep See "Outlook" model mask. What are my options for adding reading lenses?

Thanks in advance,
John

LI Diver
12-03-2007, 12:59
rxdivemask.com Try this I use them or you can go to the cheaper stick on optix

Prescription Dive Masks (http://rxdivemask.com/)

ScubaToys Larry
12-03-2007, 13:02
If you just want to keep your mask - you can add these:

Dive Optx Magnifier Lenses, Dive Masks, ScubaToys, Dive Optx Magnifier Lenses (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveOptx)

Or if you want a new mask with built in readers, check out this:

XS Scuba MA280 - Fusion 2 GR Gauge Reader Mask, Dive Masks, XS Scuba, XS Scuba MA280 - Fusion 2 GR Gauge Reader Mask (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusion2)

BSea
12-03-2007, 13:03
There is the Guage Reader Mask (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusion2).

KnottyKnotter
12-03-2007, 13:35
I've heard problems of them not staying stuck on (from Local Dive shop). But then his solution cost $150 to have similar installed in my mask.

Knowing my correction was once 1.0, then 1.5.....then 2.0.... and now 3.0 seems crazy to spend $150 every time I need something stronger.

Considering my mask is brand new, not wet yet; I was thinking the Optx might have a better chance of staying adhered to a new mask versus older mask?

Puffer Fish
12-03-2007, 13:43
I've heard problems of them not staying stuck on (from Local Dive shop). But then his solution cost $150 to have similar installed in my mask.

Knowing my correction was once 1.0, then 1.5.....then 2.0.... and now 3.0 seems crazy to spend $150 every time I need something stronger.

Considering my mask is brand new, not wet yet; I was thinking the Optx might have a better chance of staying adhered to a new mask versus older mask?

I have them in one of the many masks I have... they work just fine... and yes they can move, but if you follow the directions, it is not an issue. Works better than one would think...just be careful soaking your mask between dives.

KnottyKnotter
12-03-2007, 13:52
Thanks Puffer. Sold!

H20newbie
12-04-2007, 08:28
My hubby uses the optix lenses and initially did have trouble with them loosening after a dive. Through trial and error we found that if the mask is stored to dry out with the lenses up, this becomes a non issue. Hope this helps. He loves them!:smiley20:

Sarah
12-04-2007, 09:03
I have heard quite good things about Prescription Dive Masks ( http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/) in San Diego, Calif, and their work looks top notch.

Their executive readers has a large enough surface and they come in +.5 to +4 diopters.

KnottyKnotter
12-04-2007, 11:31
H20Newbie, thanks; can you describe "storing with lenses up".

Does that mean mask lenses up or correction lenses up? - If mask, is that exterior side up, or interior side up (side lenses attach to)?

KnottyKnotter
12-05-2007, 09:42
Couple questions about removing film from new mask, and reading lenses.

Is it best to first remove the film/coating of interior mask side then adhere lenses? Or viceversa.

Is there also a film on the Optx lenses that needs removed? Both sides or one?

Thanks,
John

H20newbie
12-05-2007, 20:16
H20Newbie, thanks; can you describe "storing with lenses up".

Does that mean mask lenses up or correction lenses up? - If mask, is that exterior side up, or interior side up (side lenses attach to)?[/quote]

Sorry I didn't clarify things...mask lenses exterior side up..NOT the optix lenses...otherwise they loosen themselves. It was trial and error to find this but they have stayed "stuck" now for about 2 months with no problems.

The directions on the optix lenses tell you wash the mask with oil free soap..I have a teenager that uses spectrogel which is perfume/oil free. Hubby also uses an antifog on his mask so went back through the cleaning procedure for a new mask to remove any residue and then washed with spectrogel. Directions are on the box of optix lenses. Hope this helps!

KnottyKnotter
12-06-2007, 09:16
Thanks H20Newbie. :smiley20:

captain
12-12-2007, 16:34
I have used the stick on Optx lenses for several years and haven't had them come off.

finflippers
12-12-2007, 17:05
I use Dawn dish washing detergent to clean my mask and the stick on lenses just before placing them in the mask. If the mask is brand new then clean it with tooth past to remove the film then clean it with the Dawn.

Be careful on what you use for defog, I have found that my lenses would come loose about one or two dives after using PSI500. I started using Dawn as a defog (only one drop per lens) this last year and have not had any come loose since.

When you are planning your dive, look at your mask to see if you see any air bubbles in the stick on lenses. This should be done at least 24 hours before a dive. If there is air bubbles in it then you have a risk of it coming loose when the mask gets flooded so just remove them and wash the mask and lenses and reatach them and let dry.