PDA

View Full Version : What's my next step?

divedeeper
12-03-2007, 14:23
My wife and I are taking our first day of OW class tonight (dream come true!! YES!!!!). We both have mask, fins, snorkel, Shorty wetsuit, weights. What do y'all think is the next piece of gear i/we should invest in getting? I found some great deals (on ST of course!) and I know the guys wouldn't sell crap. I guess the question I am asking also is how much $$ or what should I look for in the next piece or pieces of gear? I've heard that a BC is a BC and I've been told that one BC is trash(cheapest) where another BC is awesome (like zeagle?). I've also heard a reg is a reg but there is a big diff in $$ between the nice mares on closeout this month here and the new T2 atomic dealie at 1500 something. Any advice, family?

Dive Deeper

TRACI
12-03-2007, 14:42
I say reg, but everyone else says BC, I guess it is just a personal decision.

finflippers
12-03-2007, 14:43
I would suggest renting different gear for a little bit to see what you like best. All BC's are not the same and all have pros and cons first thing you need to do is decide what all types of diving you are planning to do then try out the gear that is suited for that type of diving before buying.

Without knowing the diving conditions you will be diving in and the type of diving you will be doing it is impossible to suggest the right gear for you.

finflippers
12-03-2007, 14:48
Welcome to the diving community.

RoadRacer1978
12-03-2007, 14:52
Since you and your wife will be diving together just call up the guys at ScubaToys and get 2 of everything in stock. That should cover you for a month or 2 before you start feeling the need to buy something new. :)

As far as the next peice of gear I'd say reg. My reasoning is this. I can rent a BCD and try several out and see what I like and what works for me. As long as you get a reliable reg that will breath easily at any depth (Most do) it should serve you fine. There isn't a lot of difference in fit with a reg, although there are a few that are bigger and a few that are smaller. Plus when it comes to renting gear I'd rather be renting something that hasn't been in another persons orifice.
To me there is more difference in fit and function with a BC than there is with a reg, so I personally would spend more time finding the perfect BC and make sure I had a reliable reg.

divedeeper
12-03-2007, 14:58
good point. What do y'all think of the aeris caribe BCD or Mares Rebel Reg on clearance this month?

RoadRacer1978
12-03-2007, 15:05
My primary reg is a Mares Nikos. And my Octo is the Rebel. I think the Nikos is very similar to the rebel, just a previous model. I really like my Nikos. It breathes easily at every depth I have taken it to down to 85'. It has been very reliable and easy to care for. I will eventually upgrade to one with a few more bells and whistles, but I can say that I am very happy with my mares reg. And you really can't beat the price. :)

Sorry, I am not familiar with the BCD.

Once I do upgrade regs I'm putting my Mares Nikos on a pony bottle, so I do plan on keeping it around even after an upgrade. :)

DivingCRNA
12-03-2007, 15:19
Just buy a BP/W, tech regs, a dry suit, wrist deco computer, SPG, doubles and Jet fins now... save the time and money...

Oops! I thought I was on SCUBAboard for a minute!:smilie39::smilie39:

I would go with regs. Call SCUBAtoys and tell them what you want to do. They can help. They have actually talked me out of more expensive stuff in the past!

tarheeldiver
12-03-2007, 16:02
Talk with the guys at Scubatoys and tell them your needs and let them advise you thats what I would do

jwagner
12-04-2007, 06:25
I think the first of my gear purchased was a computer. I knew I never wanted to dive tables. My dive buddys tried renting them but either it took way too much time to figure a new system out or the batteries were shot.

CaptainRon
12-05-2007, 13:44
I would recommend a package deal. You can get a better deal than purchasing each item individually. As for the Aeris Caribe BCD, it is a basic, no frills type. Both of my newly certified kids have the Caribe and seems to be well made and works as well as my Coral, but without the weight integration. On of the dive magazines has a review posted online somewhere and it was given a good review. Just add a weight belt for less than 10 dollars and you're good to go. And for the price, ($120-$130 right now on ST) you can't beat it.

snagel
12-08-2007, 19:55
I think the reg is covered. Instead of looking at brands (it's important), but let me throw this out. Regarding the BC. When I and several people I dive with got certified, we went out and bought BC's. We got the vest type. Now, everybody is switching BC's to the back inflate. So, I would think about this before you buy your first BC. I've never used a back inflate, but everybody I dive with say once they try one they have so much more control on their buoyancy. Just food for thought. My point I think is, don't get all wrapped up in brands and such, but research what you want. There are so many variations in dive gear. It might be something you want to rent and try first; although, this seems like wasted money, but in the long run you will learn what you want.

Another issue is that my sister-in-law first bought a womens bc. Apparently, they are made different and are a little shorter than a man's BC. She tried a men's bc and loved it. She said the womens bc tended to ride up on her where the men's didn't. She said she always had to pull the bc down on her hips. She also fell in love with the back inflate as opposed to the vest.

Another issue to think about is weight integrated. I'm not sure if you can buy a bc without weight integrated now, but might be something to think about. Some people I dive with absolutely hate them and prefer weight belts (might be nothing more than just that they learned on a weight belt and what is comfortable for them). For me I like the weight integrated. But, if you buy a weight integrated, make sure the weight packets have clips as opposed to just velcro. I've noticed that the velcro type tend to lose their ability to hold over time and you can easily lose your weights. The clips help with keeping the weights from falling out.

Another issue with the BC is that my brother-in-law has a pocket that is stitched to the inside of his cumber bun. This is very useful for storing things. Mine does not and I wish it did.

Again, my advise is to think about the options you want for your equipment as opposed to just brands and price.

Just my 2 cents.

S. Nagel

WV Diver
12-09-2007, 08:25
So how did your class go? I think I would think about a computer first, then maybe a reg. You can get good inexpensive computers that will last you a long time. How much are you looking to spend is the predominate question here I guess? If you have the bucks maybe you should look into a good reg.

Xspect
12-09-2007, 15:18
My vote is

1) reg
2) computer
3) Wetsuit - a non peed in wetsuit is a wonderful thing. Plus youll get a proper fit.
4) BCD

RonFrank
12-09-2007, 18:02
Just buy a BP/W, tech regs, a dry suit, wrist deco computer, SPG, doubles and Jet fins now... save the time and money...

Oops! I thought I was on SCUBAboard for a minute!:smilie39::smilie39:

I would go with regs. Call SCUBAtoys and tell them what you want to do.

What quality advice! :smilie39:

So far we know nothing about you other than that you are in the process of getting certified. To make any sort of reasonable recommendation (other than renting) you will have to provide a lot more information. Where do you live? Where do you plan to dive? That's barely a start, but it would go a long way towards making the determination on what specific equipment to purchase, and in what order.

I'd suggest patience. Maybe you should actually get ONE dive under your belt (even if that is during your OW checkout) before rushing out and spending thousands on gear.

IMO a computer maybe the best choice for safety gear for the new diver. Most BC's and regs regardless of cost function quite well, or at least anything you will rent in the US. Having a computer that makes noises when you do newbie things like go too deep, or ascend too fast, that also track your NDL is a powerful tool to keep you safe.

There is not a lot of crap gear on the market (there are some exceptions), but you need to decide if for example you want a sealed first stage, or a BackInflate BC. These types of decisions can only be based on personal preference, and dive conditions.

I could certainly recommend an entire kit just based on if you plan to dive cold, or travel, and you would likely be happy with that recommendation, just as you likely maybe happy with the recommendation of the ST's staff.

But only you can determine what is the most comfortable style, or manufacture/model in a BC, or fins, or mask, etc. IMO your best bet is to rent, or try out buddies gear before committing to a purchase.

If your LDS has some BackInflate BC's you can try in their rental fleet do so during your OW class. The same holds true for most gear. Please don't go into your LDS, try on a lot of stuff, take up a lot of their time, and then go buy at ScubaToys. Renting is the way to try out gear assuming you can find what you are interested in to rent! :smiley2:

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 18:41
You guys should start with Caribne package in this site. $369.99 for the whole gig. Then you can advance as you find your fit in scuba.. and upgrade accordingly.

Navy OnStar
12-09-2007, 18:44
You have to decide what type of set up you want. I wanted an Air2 as my octo so I couldn't get the reg without the bcd or I would waste money on the octo reg until I got the BCD.

My instructor recommended a computer first because it would get you more bottom time....etc. Of course I wanted an Air Integrated Computer. so I couldn't get the computer without the reg.

Can't get the computer w/o the reg and the reg w/o the bcd?

What is a man to do?

So I had to get everyhting at once. And my wife wanted the same thing...........Ouch! I'm glad I did it because I got the setup I wanted!

Of course I won't get anything for Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter, My Birthday, or Fathers Day.......for the next 5 years.......but it's worth it!

OnStar

RonFrank
12-10-2007, 10:47
You guys should start with Caribne package in this site. $369.99 for the whole gig. Then you can advance as you find your fit in scuba.. and upgrade accordingly.

Had someone made this recommendation when I started diving, I may have jumped on it. However here is the issue.

After many years of diving I look at this package, and realize that there is nothing in it I would want.

Jacket BC ~ I don't like them.
Reg ~ Low end, only one HP port, and Not sealed for diving I do.
Console ~ I don't like consoles. I like a small SPG, and prefer to have my computer and compass on the wrist.
Computer ~ Lacks a computer. IMO necessary, and required by DiveOps I've been with in both FL and Coz.
Free Reg Bag ~ Now there is the one item I may like in this entire package. :smiley2:

IOW's while on the surface this package may seem like the way to go, but upgrading as you go is a nice way of saying replace everything you originally purchased. The ONLY reason to purchase a package like this is $$$. This would be a great deal for a DiveOp that is looking to put together some nice rental equipment on the cheap.

RonFrank
12-10-2007, 11:01
I wanted an Air2 as my octo so I couldn't get the reg without the bcd or I would waste money on the octo reg until I got the BCD.

My instructor recommended a computer first because it would get you more bottom time....etc. Of course I wanted an Air Integrated Computer. so I couldn't get the computer without the reg.

Can't get the computer w/o the reg and the reg w/o the bcd?

What is a man to do?

So I had to get everyhting at once.

Congrads on the new gear!

However I think you have twisted the logic to fit your purchase desire.

Had you purchased an AI computer, then all you would need to do is to have the transmitter attached to the rental Reg. If you were uncomfortable doing this yourself, any LDS or rental DiveOP could do it for you. But can you unscrew a bolt? That is the skill required.

Had you purchased the BC first, then you would have to add the inflater hose to the rental reg. No problem.

Had you purchased the Reg first, you could still purchase the Air 2, and use it as an octo only. Most BC's don't come with an AIR 2 or Octo+, those are separate purchases.

Buying everything new in a package deal often can save money. But we can skip the argument that based on what you want, one must purchase it all at once as it's just not true.

divedeeper
12-10-2007, 18:31
We did it!!! And now all the questions I asked before the class seem so impatient and dumb hahaha. Now I understand what is what and I am thankful I didn't buy anything besides my mask fins snorkel weights. I will definitely do a lot more research and even as i have, I understand now why the prices at my LDS are so much higher. I also have no problem paying a little more after breathing one breath on my instructor's reg. What a difference! I also now understand ... so much! It truly was one of the best experiences I've had in my life and I can't wait to blow bubbles again! My wife did great also in class and accomplished all the skills with flying (or diving?) colors. I am so psyched about our new opportunities now!!!! I LOVE being a diver!!! Thanks for all your encouragement and support and advice. When i have more time I'll post up a little more about specifics to our dive situation and I'll look forward to getting more of y'all's expertise! Thanks, gang!

The newest OW diver(s) on our ST forum!!
Dive Deeper

Splitlip
12-10-2007, 19:32
Regs first.
I get a warm amd fuzzy knowing the history of that very personal piece of life support equiptment. Not really any subjectivity when in comes to determining a regs performance.

Preference in BCD's can be a personal thing. Rent and borrow as many as you can so you can determine what works for you.

Exposure protection.
Hey, you're in Sunrise.

Computer.
Last thing you NEED to purchase.

divedeeper
01-08-2008, 15:22
Ok we have done our checkout dives YAY! We also did an independent trip on a local dive boat with a couple of friends and it was amazing! Anyway, I did learn a lot about what I do and do not like in equipment. We will probably be doing most of our diving locally in south Florida and hopefully in the caribbean. We only have our OW and $$$ is going to limit us on how fast we continue our education, so I don't know how long it will be before we dive deeper or colder or nitrox, etc. I got a 100$ gift cert (another yay!, i hope) and like 150$ cash for Christmas. My wife and I are trying to budget like $400 a month for dive gear. I'm not unwilling to be patient, but at almost $200 a pop to rent gear for like 2 dives, it's going to come down to gear vs. diving, grr. :smiley5: We'd like to both get our gear gradually, so each time we buy gear we save 10$ or more on each rental. My LDS has a reg package with a Scubapro computer and Aqualung Titan LX with Aqualung basic octo for like $700. I can find a much cheaper deal (especially on ST!) but like someone said The caribe is jacket style ( I love the rear inflate), how is the rebel? Is my octo a big deal for high quality? I also would like a computer (i did like the wrist mount we rented!) I (and many of my friends) seem to really LOVE Mares gear. I don't know much about all this and any recommendations you could give to get us at least started in the right direction would be REALLY appreciated. I am willing to let the Christmas $ burn a hole in my pocket, if anyone thinks there is a certain package or deal I should save up for, but I also REALLY wanna dive!!!!!!!:smiley2: Any other info I can provide to help you provide more info to me, please just ask! Thanks so much, gang!!

Dive Deeper