PDA

View Full Version : Kona Honu Divers - what are they like?

PubDartGuy
12-03-2007, 16:21
Does anyone have experience diving with Kona Honu Divers ( Hawaii Scuba Diving and Whale Watching Tours - Dolphin Excursions (http://www.konahonudivers.com) )? I'm going on my first trip to Hawaii, and my dive buddy (far more experienced than I) is making all the arrangements with them. This will be my first ocean dive - my OW and AOW certification classes (PADI) were lake dives. I am a good swimmer, but perhaps not at the "peak" of my physical fitness ;) I'm very comfortable in & under water, and with boats, but I'm wondering if boat diving with this particular outfit presents any particular concerns or challenges for a new diver like me? We're hoping for an experience with a small group of divers, and with a good degree of flexibility and self-direction in the dives. Any feedback on those points? Appreciate your thoughts! :smiley20:

DiverBoy100
12-07-2007, 19:18
i have never dove with them but hear great things about them...they have very nice dive boats

Kokomo
12-07-2007, 20:05
We are planning a trip to Hawaii and I have been researching them...even called them on the phone and spoke with them. Sounds like a good op for any level of diver.

Travelnsj
12-07-2007, 20:42
I dove with them in August (my trip report is posted somewhere).....the postives...some of the best DM's on the Big Island, nice boat....Negatives....the boat is too big and toooo....many divers on the boat all levels and teaching going on...which may be good for you....The owner (i believe Glenn) said they were getting a smaller boat he was hoping to have delivered by December to cater to more experienced divers. I have always used Big Island divers and a big thumbs up for them...the reason I used Kona Honu this year is I heard rave reviews. I would not use Kona Honu again if it was on the big boat.

The diving is OK....but for some of your first ocean diving you will love the vis, lava tubes etc....not a lot of fish.....But one of the finest dives ever the Mantas!....Schedule the Manta dive twice!....in my top 5 dives....anywhere!...any questions, been there 6 times.

Travelnsj
12-07-2007, 21:00
Here is my trip report is located.......... http://forum.scubatoys.com/trips-travel/1802-kona-hawaii-8-8-thru-8-13-trip-report.html

PubDartGuy
12-08-2007, 11:59
I dove with them in August (my trip report is posted somewhere).....the postives...some of the best DM's on the Big Island, nice boat....Negatives....the boat is too big and toooo....many divers on the boat all levels and teaching going on...which may be good for you....The owner (i believe Glenn) said they were getting a smaller boat he was hoping to have delivered by December to cater to more experienced divers. I have always used Big Island divers and a big thumbs up for them...the reason I used Kona Honu this year is I heard rave reviews. I would not use Kona Honu again if it was on the big boat.

The diving is OK....but for some of your first ocean diving you will love the vis, lava tubes etc....not a lot of fish.....But one of the finest dives ever the Mantas!....Schedule the Manta dive twice!....in my top 5 dives....anywhere!...any questions, been there 6 times.
Thanks for the tips! We'll try to get on their smaller boat.

I've heard a lot about that Manta dive - it must be great! Mostly people talk about it as a night dive - are Manta's only active at night? Or more active? I am just starting to learn about the habits of marine life, and it seems many species are only active at night, or are more active. I'm not sure if our schedule will allow for a night dive though - but maybe I could talk my dive buddy into it if I have some persuasive stories to tell him? (Invitation to elaborate....)

Thanks again!

Travelnsj
12-08-2007, 13:04
Thanks for the tips! We'll try to get on their smaller boat.

I've heard a lot about that Manta dive - it must be great! Mostly people talk about it as a night dive - are Manta's only active at night? Or more active? I am just starting to learn about the habits of marine life, and it seems many species are only active at night, or are more active. I'm not sure if our schedule will allow for a night dive though - but maybe I could talk my dive buddy into it if I have some persuasive stories to tell him? (Invitation to elaborate....)

Thanks again!

For your first time on the Manta Dive I strongly suggest doing Jacks with Keller leading the dive....he is part Manta and a great guy. You will see Mantas once in a great while during the day. It is the nite dive when they show...we had 10 on my last dive.....this is a very easy nite dive....go down about 30' being a little overweighted and sit on the bottom shine your light up and watch the show.

If you do dive with Kona Honu...Cynthia and Scott are excellent DM's and instructors.