PDA

View Full Version : Safety Sausage

picxie
07-23-2007, 03:22
What's wrong with the plain plastic ones?? I've read that many people don't like them, but why?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What sort do people carry? I have a plain one but am wondering if I should have something else.</DIV>

medic001918
07-23-2007, 06:12
We use the plain "see-me" safety sausage's. It seems to work well enough for what we use them for. At some point, I'll get the ones that can be shot from below on a reel...but for now, I just have the surface style one. They're much cheaper and when you're buying two of everything, it made more sense. I do like the idea of the lift bag style ones though as we get into different dives together.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

comet24
07-23-2007, 06:40
I have the manual inflation type. Which I attached a clip to. It can be sent up from below but not as easy as the opened ended ones and you really can't get that much air in it. But if your just sending it up as a safety stop/deco or marker line you don't need mush air. I looking to get one that is open ended soon.

tc_rain
07-23-2007, 06:44
I have the AL SOS.
<DIV>http://www.aqualung.com/products/sos.html</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>When I change BC's a plan on getting one like this so It can used at the SS also</DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube</DIV>

TommyB
07-23-2007, 08:41
I meant to look at these on Sat. But was side-tracked while chatting / etc.
How small do these roll up? eg are they pretty bulky?

Large Self Sealing Safety Tube (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube)</font></font>

kevinj1
07-23-2007, 13:46
I have the basic safety sausage which I actually had to use to get the boats attention. It worked great and it folds up to be really small and easy to carry. It worked well for me.

Judestudio
07-23-2007, 19:02
I find this quite innovative smileys/smiley2.gif

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/signal/pics/PSD.jpg
<h3>Oceanic P.S.D. (Personal Signaling Device)</font></font></h3>

kevinj1
07-23-2007, 20:32
I have the same sausage, but it is red and white.
<DIV></DIV>

awap
07-23-2007, 20:53
What's wrong with the plain plastic ones??
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>When you do need that safety sausage, it needs to work. The plastic ones just don't last long. But it should help an aircraft locate you as it floats flat on the surface.</DIV>

BSea
07-24-2007, 00:00
I have a safety sausage I use just for trips like to the flower gardens when I want to pack light. I have a larger 1 that I can shoot with a reel. I use that when want to mark something or do a safety stop. Then I have a 75 lb lift bag. It just depends on what I'm doing. I have friends who never go without a lift bag. You never know what you are going to find.

picxie
07-24-2007, 03:45
What's wrong with the plain plastic ones?? I've read that many people don't like them, but why?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What sort do people carry? I have a plain one but am wondering if I should have something else.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The plastic bag ones are pretty fragile.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Get a sturdy one. Plenty available at 5-6 ft long which are reasonably priced.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What is considered to be a reasonable price? The ones that people linked to above from ST are $90 ... is that the norm? </DIV>

picxie
07-24-2007, 06:10
<DIV>You can buy samaller safety sausages for half the price</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think I'd rather spend more and get the big one. If you were ever in a situation where you needed to use it, bigger is better!! </DIV>

the gooch
07-24-2007, 08:01
<div></div>
<div>THIS is considered a safety sausage.</div>
<div></div>
<div>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Seeme_signal</div>
<div></div>
<div>Not to be confused with a DSMB like the one in the other scubatoys link. </div>
<div>You can buy samaller safety sausages for half the price</div>
<div></div> This is the device I use.

loudgonzo
07-24-2007, 10:54
I have a 6ft orange sausage from DAN that I bought at my lds. It came with a a signal mirror, storm whistle, and one of those break &amp; shake glow sticks. Cost me $59, and is one of those things I hope I never have to use.smileys/smiley2.gif

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 15:59
If you buy one, practice using it, especially if you plan to inflate it at depth. It can be trickier than you thought, if you've never done it. Keeping control over your buoyancy is very tricky while inflating a large SMB at depth.

mwhities
07-24-2007, 17:53
I too have the one from DAN but, I will be getting one fromhttp://www.deepseasupply.com soon. I'll have both with me. For the safety stop, I'll use the DSS SMB and if I get swept out to sea, I'll use the longer DAN SMB.

Michael

picxie
07-25-2007, 03:11
How many people have ever been in a situation where they've had to use it, for a genuine reason?

CompuDude
07-25-2007, 11:36
How many people have ever been in a situation where they've had to use it, for a genuine reason?
Tons. Tech divers use them almost every dive, to show the boat their location while they do deco hangs. People who dive in areas with heavy boat traffic use them for every ascent, to attempt to ward off boaters from the area they are about to surface in. And they are also quite common in drift diving, so the boat can find the group and pick them up at the far end of the dive.

Those are run-of-the-mill everyday uses for them. They are, however, location dependent... I happen to live in an area where they are very rarely used (aside from tech divers) except for practice. Others live in areas where they use them every dive, tech or not.

The final use, of course, would be for emergency signaling, either to signal that there has been an emergency, or as a large signal to get the boats attention if a current sweeps you far from the area you were expected to come up in. I've never had to use it for that. I carry one on every boat dive, and especially whenever we dive the oil rigs or other deep blue water locations, just in case. I frequently don't bother on local shore dives.

jlwest63
07-25-2007, 12:36
I have the one that you have to orally inflate. Kind of tricky if you want to send it to the surface before you get there. I am looking for one now that I can inflate with the reg.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I used it all 8 of my dives over the weekend. Drift diving and alot of boat traffic. I want everyone to know I am donw there.</DIV>

kevinj1
07-25-2007, 12:45
I have only had to use my safety sausage once----on a night dive. We surfaced and the boat didnt see us. I inflated it andv waved it in the air--it actually worked, even at night...

Judestudio
07-25-2007, 15:38
I have only had to use my safety sausage once----on a night dive. We surfaced and the boat didnt see us. I inflated it andv waved it in the air--it actually worked, even at night...
I remember there are some that you can attach a strobe or light stick to, makes it more visible and effective at night.

tx.lakerat
07-27-2007, 08:42
I have a couple different safety sausages, never had to use one for a "real" situation yet, but have made it a habit to have one if diving in any situation other than the pool.

techgnostic
07-27-2007, 12:50
[QUOTE=CompuDude;9347]Those are run-of-the-mill everyday uses for them. They are, however, location dependent... I happen to live in an area where they are very rarely used (aside from tech divers) except for practice. Others live in areas where they use them every dive, tech or not.[QUOTE]

Once a couple of people start using a device regularly, other folks wonder why they aren't using it too, and begin themselves...or so it would seem.

the gooch
07-27-2007, 14:11
After rinsing off all my gear from mini my damn sausage bled all this orange dye all over the shower. Guess it will be fading in no time.