PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried SASY (pseudo SCUBA for kids younger than 10)?

kfore
12-04-2007, 02:06
My eleven year old son and I are OW certified, and my wife will hopefully be certified next summer, but that leaves out our six year old daughter.

While cruising ebay, I saw a Supplied Air Snorkeling for Youth (SASY) system for sale. SASY: The Supplied Air Snorkeling for Youth (http://scuba.about.com/od/snorkelgear/a/sasy.htm) It's basically a personal floatation device that looks like a BCD. Kids breathe through a regulator supplied from a pony bottle, but since the "BCD" is positively buoyant, they stay safely at the surface.

This seems like a good idea that would let the whole family enjoy time in/on the water with no one left on shore. (Obviously a parent would have to stay topside with the little one, but at least everyone is in the water!).

Has anyone here tried SASY for their little ones? Is it worth the investment, or should we just stay with traditional snorkeling...?

jimmysdevoted
12-04-2007, 12:55
sasy
SASY: The Supplied Air Snorkeling for Youth (http://scuba.about.com/od/snorkelgear/a/sasy.htm)
PADI Kids (http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/begin/kids.asp)

supplieda ir snorkeling for youth is also available for adults.
I had considered it, amd will do it this spring. But I never jump into anything.
using smaller pony bottles or slightly larger than pony bottles that is strapped ot foam filled vest, much like a boating preserver it allows you to alleviate the problems of water coming in the snorkel tube and gets you ready for proficiency for regulator breathing.

PADI is now teaching it. I provided the PADI link and you can check out who in your rea will be teaching it.

RoadRacer1978
12-04-2007, 12:58
I have a 6 year old son that wants to dive so bad. A lds offers the SASSY class at a local pool. I have been planning on taking him and letting him try it out. I think it would be very fun for him and it allows a younger child to experience breathing through a reg and teaches them to look at and read guages. Once my work schedule permits and he gets to try it I'll give a full report.

cgvmer
12-04-2007, 22:15
2 years ago when my daughter was 8 we were on a cruise she was able to do a session in the pool. She had a blast. I will set this up with my daughter is a fish, she swims year round on a swim team. So when she used up her first tank they gave her a tank from another child that got scarded. When she stepped out of the pool she walked up to my wife and I and told us she was getting certified when she turns 10.

This past summer we did a SNUBA session as a family which really settled it for my daughter. (Now her certification is on her Christmas list).

Ohmdiver
12-04-2007, 22:41
Sasy was cool for my daughter when she was younger. I had her in the pool and the lake she loved it!

kfore
12-05-2007, 14:29
Hey RoadRacer - I'm an Okie as well. Which local shop offers SASY? A weekend rental would be the best way to zero in on whether or not this is a good solution for us.

Thanks!

ChrisA
12-07-2007, 12:34
...It's basically a personal floatation device that looks like a BCD. Kids breathe through a regulator supplied from a pony bottle, but since the "BCD" is positively buoyant, they stay safely at the surface.

What's the point? If they are at the surface why do they need a tank filled with compressed air. Why not a snorkle?

OK maybe it is more fun becasue the kid thinks he is doing the same thing as the parent. Like a toy cell phone or toy kitchen appliances for little girls. But just from a pactical perspective - what's the point?

Ohmdiver
12-07-2007, 17:37
...It's basically a personal floatation device that looks like a BCD. Kids breathe through a regulator supplied from a pony bottle, but since the "BCD" is positively buoyant, they stay safely at the surface.

What's the point? If they are at the surface why do they need a tank filled with compressed air. Why not a snorkle?

OK maybe it is more fun becasue the kid thinks he is doing the same thing as the parent. Like a toy cell phone or toy kitchen appliances for little girls. But just from a pactical perspective - what's the point?

It worked as a great learning tool for my kids. and for the most part you answered your own question...

cgvmer
12-07-2007, 20:18
There is a difference. Even though sasy unit is meant to keep them at the surface, a strong swimmer can swim to the bottom of th e pool. When my daughter did it, the instructors threw items into the pool for them to retrieve. Many of the kids could reach the bottom.

Ohmdiver
12-07-2007, 23:02
^I would like to see that, my daughter wasn't a strong swimmer and tried to get below the surface and couldn't. I would have thought that it was not possible.

SkuaSeptember
12-12-2007, 17:29
When my daughter was 7 she had gotten to be pretty good at snorkling and free diving. About that time SP was making SASY gear and the Rep let me borrow it for a few days. My daughter thought it looked really cool and couldn't wait to try it out. We brought it to a local beach that has some big tide pools, got her into her wetsuit and gave it a try. It took her less than 10 min. to realize that if she couldn't submerge she couldn't get any shells or hermit crabs. All done with that! The Bubblemaker and Seal Team programs,however were a huge success and she has been doing open water dives since she was 10.
If you can have your daughter try it for free or cheap, go for it, but otherwise, I'd work with her on snorkling and make that a featured family activity.

adv_diver1
12-12-2007, 22:18
I really don't think that children under 14 should dive. I know many are VERY capable, but I just worry about those little guys if something were to go wrong, they are hard pressed to make a life/death decision... not that a 14 year old is any better, but I just worry about the little ones alot.

I am scared of baby's by the way. I won't hold them because I don't want to hurt them or something happen to them because they are so small. I prefer to look at them, wave and make funny noises. I did not hold my 2nd child very much when he was little for the same reason. But now he is a little typhoon and I am much more comfortable.

Weird huh??

DiveSooner
01-16-2008, 08:44
Hey RoadRacer - I'm an Okie as well. Which local shop offers SASY? A weekend rental would be the best way to zero in on whether or not this is a good solution for us.

Thanks!

Kfore, not sure which one RR was referencing, but Oklahoma Scuba in Norman used to do kids parties...

hoobascooba
01-16-2008, 10:24
I really don't think that children under 14 should dive. I know many are VERY capable, but I just worry about those little guys if something were to go wrong, they are hard pressed to make a life/death decision... not that a 14 year old is any better, but I just worry about the little ones alot.

definitely a matter of opinion from a parent, but at same time, a matter of competence from the child. My daughter is almost 10 and can't wait to learn scuba. I taught her how to swim, so I believe she is very competent enough to learn to be very comfortable underwater.

And I think this is the main issue here: competence, confidence, and consistency. The consistency comes from the parent. When you teach anything to your child, there's no greater importance than being consistent.

ChrisA
02-19-2008, 14:47
While cruising ebay, I saw a Supplied Air Snorkeling for Youth (SASY) system for sale.

While I'd bet it would be fun for the kids because they get to play with some cool equipment that looks like what dad uses. So from the the fun perspective it might be good.

But practically why is SASY better then using a snorkle? Breathing compressed air at the surface is just a waste of compressed air. If you buy them an inflatable "snorkle vest" or even a real PFD and then teach them to use a snorkel. As a learning experience snorkeling is "real", something they can do as adults while SASY will always be a toy scuba system for kids

It depends on the goals SASY is for having fun at a resort if that is the goal, go for it..

Ohmdiver
02-19-2008, 19:24
It taught and re-inforced the idea of looking at a gauge,

newways
02-19-2008, 19:30
My dive buddy puts his kid(3) in a tub with a snorkel. the kid stays under forever.

DarinMartell
02-19-2008, 20:27
Why buy different equipment? Wouldn't a pony bottle with reg while wearing a life vest do the same thing? That way when you are doing deeper dives and the little one is not around you could use it.

Having the kids swim to the bottom opens up all sorts of injury issues if the hold their breath coming back up, I don't know if I would like that.

ChrisA
02-24-2008, 20:26
...My daughter is almost 10 and can't wait to learn scuba. I taught her how to swim, so I believe she is very competent enough to learn to be very comfortable underwater.

Likely she could be very comfortable underwater. But it is very unlikely she would be able to help her adult buddy if there was a problem. Whoever dives with a 10 year old is in effect diving solo. Nothing wrong with solo diving if you know what you are doing, have the equipment, training and experience and accept the risk.

The thing about diving is that it is really easy. Just about anyone can dive after a few hours of instruction. It is easy, that is until the slightest little thing goes wrong and then some judgement is required.

mark44883
03-11-2008, 22:43
sounds like a ball wish i had that when i was younger

mksmith713
03-04-2009, 08:52

My 6 year old has been snorkelling and shooting U/W photos since she was 4.
Heck, she has more time in the Caribbean than alot of adult divers I know.
SASY is a great training tool to teach kids the multitasking that's necessary in Scuba diving.
She has to handle her camera, while monitoring her guages and conciously be aware of her trim.
I sometimes add a few ounces of weight to a strap on one side to keep her working.
Until now she's only had to deal with trim, watching guages and handling her camera.
I'm going to start letting her breathe from her reg in the next week or so while doing pool training.
When she gets comfortable, I'll start teaching more advanced things, like OOA drills where she has to take my backup.

Making something second nature takes the panic out of a real situation.

mksmith713
03-04-2009, 08:53
I can't wait until she's old enough to dive.
I'm tired of towing this damned flag.....:)