PDA

View Full Version : Rain-x

medicdiver
12-04-2007, 15:55
I know this may sound silly but has anyone tried Rain-x in their mask? I'm not sure if it is compatable with the mask but it would seem to get rid of the fogging for longer periods of time. I'm thinking of getting some to see if it will work or destroy the mask.

TRACI
12-04-2007, 15:59
I have tried rain-x, never seem to work for me. I think toothpaste works the best, good ol spit works 2nd best for me.

cheebaweebie
12-04-2007, 16:46
I really would think rain-x would fog up. Ever just rain-x your car windows, get up in the morning and they just fog up like hell.

I think 500PSI is the best mask defogger. Key is also to use slate cleaner on your mask right when it is new and say every few months or so.

diversteve
12-04-2007, 17:13
Not sure I'd want Rain-X that close to my eyes.

The factory rep suggested not using it on poly camera ports as it will etch them.

WV Diver
12-04-2007, 18:02
I don't think I would try it. Besides it is probably just as or more expensive than most of the commercial sea drop type applications anyway and you don't have the worry of what it may do to your eye sight if you get it in your eye.

I have heard people comment that rain-x softens their windshields and causes them to crack and chip. I have no idea if this is the case. If so I can only imagine the ramifications of putting it on your mask and diving to 100'.

jtkkym
12-04-2007, 19:58
I agree with WD Diver. I don't know what is in Rain-X and don't know if it is safe for eyes. I've tried 500PSI and other stuff but my spit works best for me.

FishFood
12-04-2007, 20:04
RAIN-X causes fogging on windshields, it doesn't keep them from fogging. OTC anti-fogs work fine. I wouldnt bother with something that doesnt work, and that may harm you.

medicdiver
12-04-2007, 21:23
Thanks for the info. What is funny to me when we have put it on the windshield of small aircraft it doesn't fog. I don't plan on putting it in my mask now because of the off gas it may produce. It was just a thought:)

FishFood
12-04-2007, 21:56
Thanks for the info. What is funny to me when we have put it on the windshield of small aircraft it doesn't fog. I don't plan on putting it in my mask now because of the off gas it may produce. It was just a thought:)

On the other hand, you may not have to worry about crying... ever again :D

Damselfish
12-04-2007, 22:06
they don't even claim RainX prevents fog - it's meant to go on the outside of the windows and make the water run off. They make a separate ant-fog stuff for inside the windows.

Mtrewyn
12-05-2007, 00:03
I would be concerned abut using it at all, It is a petroleum product, it will eat the silicone skirt, and that would not be good at 100' :smiley5:

Cambria
12-05-2007, 02:27
Baby shampoo works pretty well. You can use it just like seadrops.

scubajane
12-06-2007, 16:47
I like psi 500 ... Just use the rain-x on the outside of your mask and It will help repel the water and it won't get in your eyes ;)

MSilvia
12-06-2007, 17:07
I wouldn't use the rain-x based solely on the petroleum/silicone interaction, but then I don't really ever have a problem with mask fogging.

I had a bottle of some sort of drops once, but it didn't work as well as spit, and wasn't nearly as convenient, so I threw it out. Call me crazy, but I just can't see paying good money for an inferior version of something I excrete. Some folks say, "It's more sanitary!" I say, "That's not on the top of my list of things to worry about when I'm about to jump into the giant fishpoop soup we call an ocean."

wheelman
12-06-2007, 17:10
I use spit or sea drops, but what I think helps the most is using toothpaste or softscrub before I go diving. Just a quick scrub gets any build up or whatever off and I've never had any issues with fogging since I started doing this.

wheelman
12-06-2007, 17:12
Hey... I just noticed that I'm now a guppy... woot! Feels like the old ymca swimming class days.

cow109
12-06-2007, 21:53
The spit seems to wear off soon, so I just keep my mask flooded with 1/4" of water in the bottom. A quick swish of the head clears it for a couple of minutes.

mitsuguy
12-06-2007, 22:28
The spit seems to wear off soon, so I just keep my mask flooded with 1/4" of water in the bottom. A quick swish of the head clears it for a couple of minutes.

same here...

however the best results I've gotten using anything is when I put on the defog literally hours before very very thin, allow it to dry, and then don't touch it until ready to dive... quick dump in the water, then straight on the face... too bad I can only do this once per day of diving and its a pain in the ass too

ScubaJW
12-06-2007, 23:33
I am not sure about Rain-X, what if the chemicals in Rain-X are not good for your eyes or your skin? I haven't got the chance to read the ingredients on the product. I never had a bad luck with my own spit and defogger solution.

navyhmc
12-07-2007, 02:50
+1 to spit. I have gotten weird looks from new divers when I spit in my mask, they have that "What in hades are you doing?" look about them.

MSilvia
12-07-2007, 09:22
they have that "What in hades are you doing?" look about them.
I love that look. I most often get it when I'm shucking scallops after a dive, and start popping raw ones in my mouth. It's win-win... they're delicious, and it often freaks out other people. It's like dinner and a show. :smilie39:

Mtrewyn
12-07-2007, 09:50
I use spit or sea drops, but what I think helps the most is using toothpaste or softscrub before I go diving. Just a quick scrub gets any build up or whatever off and I've never had any issues with fogging since I started doing this.

I have tried the tooth paste thing, and it never works for me, I do the thing put it in let it dry and than go,

Has anyone used "absolutely clear"?

Absolutely Clear (http://www.absolutelyclear.com/)

tarheeldiver
12-07-2007, 15:44

I have tried the tooth paste thing, and it never works for me, I do the thing put it in let it dry and than go,

I've used it works good for me, been a while since I used so I don't remember about the all day deal

peteg
12-07-2007, 16:03
I use a home-brewed small spray bottle of 50% H20 and 50% baby "no tears" shampoo. Spit works well in a pinch. No way am I getting Rain-x in my eyes. Works great on my windshield tho.

wheelman
12-08-2007, 00:00

Haven't used absolutely clear, but I may not have been very clear on my post either... I scrub then use spit or sea drops.

navyhmc
12-08-2007, 05:32
they have that "What in hades are you doing?" look about them.
I love that look. I most often get it when I'm shucking scallops after a dive, and start popping raw ones in my mouth. It's win-win... they're delicious, and it often freaks out other people. It's like dinner and a show. :smilie39:

Been there, done that. And you're right, Love the looks.

'course I had that look the first time I was offered one. afterwards, they were sorry they showed me, my scallop contribution decreased. After that it was Shuck two, eat one.:smilie39::smiley9:

bubble-head
12-08-2007, 06:18
Baby shampoo works like a charm. It's cheap and works much better than Sea Drops and other products I've tried.

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 05:46
I have used Absolutely Clear. Didn't see any real improvement over Sea Drops or 500PSI. Definitely did NOT last all day. Rain-X is not the product for inside the mask. It fogs glass. I had thought about it for shedding the water on the surface to see clearer. I do have some concerns about the petroleum product and silicone skirt.