PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Lake

DarinMartell
12-04-2007, 17:19
Pearl lake in South Beloit IL is where most LDS do their check out dives. If you go early in the year like we did the vis is good. It is a small 35 acre lake that goes as far as 85' in one area. they have a HUGE selection of things sunk including a bunch of boats, a Lake Michigan cruiser, a school bus, a Submarine, and a twin engine plane. I was able to find a map of most of them here:

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
12-04-2007, 19:28
Thanks for the input!!

coyote
01-11-2008, 19:06
If you dive pearl I recommend stopping by and grabbing a burger at the little restaurant. (I forget the name).
Pearl’s a lot of fun if you’re into camping. Pitch a tent, dive your brains out, and sit around a fire at night watching bratwurst sizzle. Perfect!

Also, the clean and hot(!) showers are nice after a day of diving.

snagel
01-11-2008, 19:19
How far from St. Louis is Pearl Lake?

S. Nagel

coyote
01-11-2008, 19:46
How far from St. Louis is Pearl Lake?

S. Nagel

The exact opposite side of the state on the Illinois - Wisconsin border in South Beloit. So a bit of a drive from St. Louis.

snagel
01-12-2008, 07:20
Bummer...I'm actually 3 hours west of St. Louis, so this would definately be a long haul for me. How does Pearl compare to Mermett Springs? I make this trip as often as I can.

S. Nagel

tc_rain
01-12-2008, 17:39
Mermet is better set up for scuba diving with their tables to set up gear and the entry points. Pearl is all beach entry and there are no benches or seating. You need to bring a tarp and chair with you. They do have a resturant that has great food and a snack bar. You can spend an entire weekend there diving (when vis is good) and really enjoy it. I would recommend trying it but check with people before going to get an idea of the vis.

coyote
01-13-2008, 16:56
Mermet is better set up for scuba diving with their tables to set up gear and the entry points. Pearl is all beach entry and there are no benches or seating. You need to bring a tarp and chair with you. They do have a resturant that has great food and a snack bar. You can spend an entire weekend there diving (when vis is good) and really enjoy it. I would recommend trying it but check with people before going to get an idea of the vis.

I second this.
Mermet's business is diving. Pearl Lake is a campground that also offers diving. That's a big difference.
Pearl lake is bigger then Mermet, but the vis can get downright nasty sometimes. The last dive this year we had lass then 5' vis deeper then 30'. Be sure to check ahead of time if this is a long trip.

Here's some pics from Memorial Day.

snagel
01-13-2008, 17:13
Looks like a beautiful lake to camp. Thanks for the information.

S. Nagel

DarinMartell
01-14-2008, 12:47
Keep me posted if anyone is going out, it is only an hour from me. As far as camping goes, it is a VERY nice facility, when I saw it it was well manicured and the shower house was spotless. This is coming from someone who grew up and worked at the highest rated campground in Wisconsin so I tend to be very picky about my campgrounds.