PDA

View Full Version : Shore Diving Chicago / Milwaukee area

DarinMartell
12-04-2007, 18:42
Hello, I am a newbie and looking for Dive Sites and buddies for shore diving in Lake Michigan (or other lakes) anywhere between Chicago and Milwaukee. I would love to hear any suggestions!

BuzzF117
12-04-2007, 18:52
I don't think you can shore dive in Chicago, if I am not mistaken there is a city ordinance against it but I am not sure.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
12-04-2007, 19:26
I don't think you can shore dive in Chicago, if I am not mistaken there is a city ordinance against it but I am not sure.

I think you're right with the possible exception of Evanston. I think you can enter from shore off Evanston Beach and swim out to a barge wreck about 30 yards out. I'll try to to find a verification source but you could probably call the Coast Guard Station in Milwaukee and Illinois and ask them too.

I have a small (17') boat that given acceptable weather is able to handle Lake Michigan. I will be seeking out several wrecks summer '08 if you want to go along I'll keep you in mind.:smiley20:

DarinMartell
12-04-2007, 19:32
Definitly keep me in mind. I did two wreck dives off milwaukee that were great last year. You might want to think about Lake Geneva also. My LDS charters their on some Thursdays, there is a wreck and they also go to get old bottles.

Illini_Fan
12-04-2007, 19:38
How is Lake Geneva diving? I occasionally get up to my sister's place in McHenry and it would be a quick trip to Lake Geneva

DarinMartell
12-04-2007, 21:26
Have not gone yet but the LDS I use does go on some 2 tank dives on Thursdays at a cost of $45. They say as long as you go during the week when the boats are not killing the vis it's good diving.

Illini_Fan
12-04-2007, 21:52
Cool - thanks for the info.

DarinMartell
12-04-2007, 22:28
your welcome, I live close to Mchenry (Round Lake Beach) If you need a buddy give me a shout. The LDS I use is really over by Rockford but they do charters to Lake Geneva and 6 different wrecks in Lake Mi. www.lovesparkscuba.com

FroggDVR
12-04-2007, 23:14
Round Lake Bch,, huh??? I work in Grayslake.
I have been out w/ Dan in Lake Geneva. It is like diving a giant Pearl Lake but clearer. Nice fish and there are a few wrecks. I have also been out in Lake Michigan w/ Dan when i do not feel like taking my boat. Or if I have people from my LDS.

Round Lake Bch. what a small place this internet thing is huh?

Oh yes there is a beach in Evanston you can dive from. Pay the beach fee drop off your gear and go find a park spot. dO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE BEACH. it will not be there when you come back. Other than that that is about it for shore diving Lake Mich. Charters of finding a buddie w/ a boat is the way to dive the big pond

DarinMartell
12-05-2007, 00:00
Grays lake? like you said, small world. Dan is a good guy, I did my training with him becuase of his pool and have not regreted it even though Tucan is only 2 miles from me. By the time I'm done with Christmas I should be geared up with everything but tanks. If you are ever looking for a buddy drop me a line. I will be happy to chip in on gas, I'll even bring the beer for after the dive!

navyhmc
12-05-2007, 04:56
There are a few good places north of Racine, but I am haivng a hard time finding my log book that has them in them-it's been about 10 years since I dove up that way so I can't give you good enough directions from memory. Diving just south of Great Lakes Naval Base was fun too, I don't know if they frown on that one now or not.