PDA

View Full Version : ST SMB Pictures?

Scubastud16
12-04-2007, 19:00
So does anyone have pictures of the ST SMB (the 40 dollar version)? I'm hoping to pick one up, and I'd like to see it with a bit of reference. Is it open on the bottom?

Thanks!

Danny

fisheater
12-04-2007, 19:58
If you click on the item, you'll find not only some photos, but a price that's $10 less.

See Me Safety Signal Tube, Accessories-Flags, Trident, See Me Safety Signal Tube (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Seeme_signal)

The description shows that the bottom has a "'push down' oral inflator and BC clip at the end."

ScubaToys Larry
12-04-2007, 20:08
I think we've got about a gillion different tubes in there now. Just give us a call, let us know what features you want - and we'll have a tube to match... self sealing, dump valve, with clips, hooks, with or without cylume holders, etc. You name it... I bet we got it!

Scubastud16
12-04-2007, 20:35
Here's the one I'm looking at:

Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve , Accessories-Signaling Devices, ScubaToys, Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LargeSafety)

Larry, is the end open? Is there a HUGE difference between this and a self sealing? I'm looking to shoot it for safety stops on drift dives.

Thanks!

Danny

Black-Gorrilla
12-04-2007, 21:03
I think we've got about a gillion different tubes in there now. Just give us a call, let us know what features you want - and we'll have a tube to match... self sealing, dump valve, with clips, hooks, with or without cylume holders, etc. You name it... I bet we got it!

"cylume holders"... what is that?

Scubastud16
12-04-2007, 21:15
Cylume = those green glow sticks you "crack" to activate.

Black-Gorrilla
12-05-2007, 16:32
oh... so that there is a loop or something for a glowstick?
thats kind of neat.

CompuDude
12-05-2007, 16:58
oh... so that there is a loop or something for a glowstick?
thats kind of neat.

Little clear plastic sleeve. Just slide in the glowstick.

mitsuguy
12-05-2007, 17:20
I've been looking at the SMB's as well, and IMO, Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve , Accessories-Signaling Devices, ScubaToys, Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LargeSafety) is worth the extra $10... it has a dump valve, is physically larger, and has enough lift to become a workable (though impromptu) lift bag...

fishballer
12-05-2007, 22:57
i'm starting to stock up toys for my trip to cocos next year, and was thinking of getting a smb too.

how does this compare to the DAN version? any feedback?

Scubastud16
12-06-2007, 12:47
I don't think the DAN version has an open bottom, so no filling it with your octo. That's why I like the $40 one from SMB (see post abover yours).

WaScubaDude
12-06-2007, 14:44
reposted from a ways back. Thought since the topic came up...

Like to help with some distinctions if I can. There are four or five different catagories of inflatable thingies.

1) A safety sausage. SMB that is meant to be deployed only at the surface to signal a boat, a plane, or someone on shore that you are in trouble or just need to be picked up. Usually a thin long sausage or in some cases a small air mattress. These have no overpressure relief valve and would likely pop if deployed from depth. They also do not have strong enough connectors and webbing to act as real lift bags. The could help a diver as floatation at the surface though. Usually pretty small and easy to carry.

2) DSMB or signal marker bouy that have an over pressure relief valve or open bottom to let expanding air out. Usually a thin long sausage. They can be deployed at depth or at the surface. If deployed at depth they are usually attatched to a spool of string or thin rope. Used to let a boat know where you are. Could be used to let someone topside know you are in trouble or need more air or to signal something specificaly agreed upon. ie; I FOUND THE WRECK! They can also be deployed to help divers maintain a given depth for a deco or safety stop. Some have strong enough webbing and attatchment points that they could be used as a lift bag as well.

3) Deco ball or balloon, small round (don't stick up too high out of the water when deployed. ) Usually very compact to carry and often will come with line and small weight attached, may have markings at 10, 15, 20 ft etc. for deco/safety stop purposes.

4) Lift bags: usually bell shaped and open bottom. Can be the size of your head to the size of a small car. Have heavy duty webbing and strong connecting points and are usually rated to lift a certain amount of pounds.

Choose wisely as each has its purpose. Also color standards/interpretations can be different in different countries or regions.

tc_rain
12-07-2007, 20:52
I don't think the DAN version has an open bottom, so no filling it with your octo. That's why I like the $40 one from SMB (see post abover yours).

The Dan version does have an open bottom; got mine the other day

Scubastud16
12-10-2007, 16:21
Thanks TC!