PDA

View Full Version : Need Heavier Fins

lovesmexico615
12-04-2007, 20:23
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new pair of fins- my Cressi Reaction's are far too light for me, and as soon as I stop moving my feet float up behind me. Not a huge deal, but a PIA on a safety stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a heavier fin? I've been using paddle fins so far, but wouldn't mind trying splits either.

Thanks!

wheelman
12-04-2007, 20:31
I use scubapro black twin jet splits, they have neg buoyancy. I believe the yellow and gray are +.

lovesmexico615
12-04-2007, 20:41
Hmm... wonder why the colors would be + and Black -? Strange, but I'll look into it!

Clanggedin
12-04-2007, 22:14
Apollo Bio fins are 3 lbs neg buoyant each fin.

Diver Kat
12-04-2007, 22:14
I have a pair of the Apollo BIo fins - the original black rubber version. Love them! Great power and maneuverability, and they're not floaters ...

lovesmexico615
12-04-2007, 22:27
Guess I'll look into the Bio's as well... I wish LDS had more than 4 types of fins to pick up and try out...

ScubaJW
12-04-2007, 23:43
Agree, that Biofins are negative buoyant. I notice that rubber fins are heavier and usually negative buoyant than plastic fins - not sure if that's for a fact. It will be good for ya to figure that out.

MSilvia
12-05-2007, 07:32
Guess I'll look into the Bio's as well... I wish LDS had more than 4 types of fins to pick up and try out...

Scubapro Jets are the heaviest paddle fins I've used. What LDS are you using? I've got a pair of Mares Avantis that fit womens 8. You can try them out if you like... I don't see my wife diving this winter.

mm_dm
12-05-2007, 07:47
Scubapro Jets are the heaviest paddle fins I've used.

Same here. Great fin and I always go back to them.

Grin
12-05-2007, 08:06
Ankle weights. They sell them for this reason. I have never had that issue. I use Cressi 2000s (the long fins) I also have a set of Mares Avanti quatros. The quatros are really nice fins if you can't take the long fins.

lovesmexico615
12-05-2007, 09:58
Scubapro Jets are the heaviest paddle fins I've used. What LDS are you using? I've got a pair of Mares Avantis that fit womens 8. You can try them out if you like... I don't see my wife diving this winter.

Thanks Matt. Bobby told me that PG is getting more fins in this winter, but they don't have anything new yet. They are getting in 2 new Mares fins soon, but he said they will probably be lightweight as well. It's funny... I hadn't had an issue with this until I just went to Mexico- my buoyancy was good during the safety stop, but my feet kept popping up behind me. Very annoying.

mitsuguy
12-05-2007, 10:46
one other - tusa zooms are ever so slightly negative... toss them in the water and they seem to float for a second, and then slowly slowly sink...

MSilvia
12-05-2007, 11:21
Thanks Matt. Bobby told me that PG is getting more fins in this winter, but they don't have anything new yet. They are getting in 2 new Mares fins soon, but he said they will probably be lightweight as well. It's funny... I hadn't had an issue with this until I just went to Mexico- my buoyancy was good during the safety stop, but my feet kept popping up behind me. Very annoying.

Two things... first, check out South Shore Divers in Weymouth, on 3A right over the Fore River Bridge. They have a good selection that's different from PG's. Second, maybe we can figure out a different solution than a change of fins.

What was different about your Mexico gear? Were you using the same stuff you use at home? Your trim looked pretty good at the pond... maybe you just need to carry a pumpkin for increased torso buoyancy? ;)

MSilvia
12-05-2007, 11:30
Ankle weights. They sell them for this reason.
Some would take issue with what I'm about to say, but ankle weights are a band-aid solution... they don't solve the problem, they work around it. I've used them in the past, but didn't need them after finding and addressing the root problem, which in my case was air getting trapped in my drysuit boots.

It's better to solve the problem than to find a way to live with it. As I've said elsewhere before, if you can't reach the pedals in your car, would you solve the problem by moving the seat forward, or by strapping blocks to the pedals so you can reach them without changing your setup?

It's entirely possible that a small change like adjusting tank band height will make the problem vanish. IMHO, you ought to exhaust those options before searching for a way to throw more gear at the issue.

RoadRacer1978
12-05-2007, 11:50
I have a problem with my feet floating up as well. I am not sure if it is the 5mm booties or the fins since I changed both at the same time. Prior to them I was using a full foot pocket fin and didn't wear any booties. It really hasn't bothered me too much as I just stay horizontal during the safety stop rather than vertical and all my descents are made horizontal, instead of feet down. I kinda like the horizontal descent anyways as it allows me to see what is coming up. Since I dive in lower vis conditions my feet would hit the bottom before I could ever see the bottom if I made a feet first descent. I guess it is a problem, but not one that really bothers me as once my feet float up and I am horizontal they stop there, they don't continue up, so I stay horizontal. If they pulled me until I was head down, now that wold be a big issue I'd have to change.

MSilvia
12-05-2007, 12:21
I have a problem with my feet floating up as well. I am not sure if it is the 5mm booties or the fins since I changed both at the same time.
5mm neoprene adds some significant buoyancy. I'd bet money it's the boots.

I guess it is a problem, but not one that really bothers me as once my feet float up and I am horizontal they stop there, they don't continue up, so I stay horizontal.
That's not only not a problem, it's perfect trim. I'f you're vertical, you're "feet heavy". Good horizontal trim is what I strive for.

CompuDude
12-05-2007, 13:32
Some would take issue with what I'm about to say, but ankle weights are a band-aid solution... they don't solve the problem, they work around it. I've used them in the past, but didn't need them after finding and addressing the root problem, which in my case was air getting trapped in my drysuit boots.

It's better to solve the problem than to find a way to live with it. As I've said elsewhere before, if you can't reach the pedals in your car, would you solve the problem by moving the seat forward, or by strapping blocks to the pedals so you can reach them without changing your setup?

It's entirely possible that a small change like adjusting tank band height will make the problem vanish. IMHO, you ought to exhaust those options before searching for a way to throw more gear at the issue.

Agreed. And ankle weights are much more tiring to swim with. If your feet are floating, a better choice is usually a heavier fin or some trim weights moved a bit lower to help shift the center of gravity.

lovesmexico615
12-05-2007, 22:24
What was different about your Mexico gear? Were you using the same stuff you use at home? Your trim looked pretty good at the pond... maybe you just need to carry a pumpkin for increased torso buoyancy? ;)

Thats what I forgot to bring down to Mexico with me :smiley29:

That was the thing that was bothering me while I was down there. I looked through all the video that I got from Mexico, and my trim was good while I was moving. It was only once I got vertical on the safety stop that I was really having problems. Even when I was stopping for pictures at depth I had no problems. All my gear was the same, except a new 3mm wetsuit.

I guess it could have been the 7mm boots. I have a pretty strong lower body from running, but could not for the life of me keep my feet down.

I'm going to keep trying... I'm not keen on ankle weights- I feel like they would be a lot of hastle.

texdiveguy
12-05-2007, 22:39
Jet Fins wt. about estm. 5lbs each as I recall...very heavy!

texdiveguy
12-05-2007, 22:47

Agreed. And ankle weights are much more tiring to swim with. If your feet are floating, a better choice is usually a heavier fin or some trim weights moved a bit lower to help shift the center of gravity.

I use 1lbs. ankle weights with my neo dry suit/w moon boots. I don't buy the generalized statement that they are bad or band aids in every individual case.....though most trim issues wet/dry can be resolved with rig configuration and gear adjustments...for me these small 1lbs.(actually hd exercise ankle wts.) do a great job without the use of heavier fins that are much more tiring to dive in....a piece of cake to put on and remove, the only draw back is they are blue and not my preferred 'black'.

Cynthia
12-06-2007, 09:17
I'd have to agree with everyone else about the split Bio-fins. Mine are the original black ones and I just love them! I had "feet floatie" issues and did use the ankle weight for a while, but now add a little more trim weight in the back of my bc which fixed the problem.
I'd recommend the Bio fins just 'cause I love 'em!
Cynthia

MSilvia
12-06-2007, 10:44
I looked through all the video that I got from Mexico, and my trim was good while I was moving.
You can only really evaluate trim while you're stationary. While you're moving, you can compensate for "off" trim by directing the thrust from your movements. You may not even realize you're doing it, but a little bit of upward thrust from your kicks would offset the tendency for your feet to ascend. That correctional thrust reduces the efficiency of your kicks, which translates to increased gas consumption rates. The good news is that once your stationary trim is corrected, you can expect to see an improvement in your RMV/SAC rate.

What was different about your Mexico gear?
All my gear was the same, except a new 3mm wetsuit. I guess it could have been the 7mm boots.
Well, there you go... in your thick suit, your trim is pretty good. When you reduced the buoyancy of your legs, arms, and torso, but not your feet, it felt like your feet were floatier than the rest of you.

I can think of several things you might try. First is to get a different set of thinner boots for warm water dives. That ought to correct it, as would using heavier fins to compensate for the buoyancy of your existing boots. It's also possible that shifting some of your weights to a position lower on your body might work, as that would move your center of gravity closer to your feet. There is a technique approach that you might want to try to achieve that too... try adjusting the degree to which you bend your knees, and see if you can move your center of gravity that way.

lovesmexico615
12-07-2007, 11:24
You know, I thought about it being the booties, but it was such a pronounced floaty issue I figured it couldn't be all because of it. I wish it wasn't winter, so I could keep working on this... it's way to cold to think about getting in the water right now though. :cold_old:

Guess I'll have to book another trip to Mexico...

BTW Matt- are you doing the Christmas Tree decorating? I think it would be so much fun, but I don't have a drysuit.

MSilvia
12-07-2007, 11:49
I wish it wasn't winter, so I could keep working on this... it's way to cold to think about getting in the water right now though. :cold_old:
Talk to PG about getting some pool time at the YMCA... I think they have a time slot there on monday nights.

BTW Matt- are you doing the Christmas Tree decorating? I think it would be so much fun, but I don't have a drysuit.
I'd love to, but I'll be busy getting moved into my new house then.

lovesmexico615
12-08-2007, 11:19
I'd love to, but I'll be busy getting moved into my new house then.

All right! It must be nice to have the house ready to move into! I'm on the other side... getting mine ready to sell. Know anyone who is looking for a 2 bedroom in Quincy?:smiley13: