PDA

View Full Version : Pls Suggest Dive Ops for Miami & Spiegel Grove

Matt P
12-04-2007, 22:13
I'll be in Miami for a few days in May 2008. I'll probably get just 1 day in Key Largo. I know I want to hit the Spiegel Grove. Can you suggest a great dive op?

Also, while in Miami where else should I dive? I'll be staying at one of the hotels on Biscayne Bay. Is there anything local-ish that I should check out? Any good wrecks? And..again...can you suggest a good dive op?

thanks!

ReefHound
12-04-2007, 22:41
In Key Largo we use Brent at Blue Water Divers.

I don;t know what's in Miami but a short distance up is Ft Lauderdale and there are lots of good wrecks there like the Ancient Mariner and Sea Emperor.

Matt P
12-06-2007, 11:22
Thanks - I'll look into both those suggestions

Doug B
12-10-2007, 21:56
Island Ventures.

Small outfit, sort of mom and pop feel to it. My buddy and I had a great time. Did 13 dives with them in March. Went to the Grove twice. The Benwood is fun too... especially at night. French Reef and Molasis reef, and Christ of the abyss are all fun.

If you dive with them, tell them "Doug and Captain Ron from Indiana say "hi""

What's funny, or interesting.... is that in Key Largo, there is a dive operator about every other block. Check out the magazines, for the Key Largo advertisments. You'll find Island Ventures listed with about six others.

My buddy and I are already "planning" another four or five day trip. We plan on making a few dives in Key Largo, then driving down the coast to try some other operators. But, we might just stay in Key Largo... it was a LOT of fun, good diving, good food, good prices (except for the hotel).

Matt P
12-11-2007, 05:52
Thanks Doug! I'll look into them as well

bobcatdiver
12-11-2007, 08:29
I love going out with Capt George at Cristal Clear Charters. We were down in late Oct. and dove with them. I heard through the grapevine the closed up shop. Let me know if anyone knows where Capt George ends up. Thanks

sidneydiver
12-11-2007, 09:49
Conch Republic Divers on Islamorada are excellent. I dove the SG with them a couple of times.

Mycroft
12-11-2007, 21:12
Spencer Slate of Atlantis Dive Center.

teog
12-12-2007, 21:38
Conch Republic Divers on Islamorada are excellent. I dove the SG with them a couple of times.
+1 with conch republic divers. Great shop Ill being going back to them next summer.

Fireplug
12-16-2007, 12:24
Our group dove with Cap't George early September and had a great time. They did close the other shop they had at Islamorada. Fact is the night before our first dive with them, their Key Largo shop was broken into. Most of the stock from the closed shop was there and the thieves got lots of regs, computers, etc. Sounded like someone inside to me. Anywho, Cap't George and crew did us great. Burgularly deal didn't affect our charter at all.

We had 4 or 5 new divers on board, me included. The crew did a great job of looking after us, getting us back on board safely and just generally giving us tips to help out. Only problem on the Newton 46" was one of the showers wouldn't work. No biggie. I'd go again with them tomorrow. Fact is, it's blowing snow here in SE Ohio right now. Let me find Cristal's phone number!!! :smiley20:

Matt P
12-16-2007, 14:28
Only problem on the Newton 46" was one of the showers wouldn't work. No biggie. I'd go again with them tomorrow.Ah...love them Newtons! Dive off of a 36 in Jamaica. Thanks for the info!