PDA

View Full Version : What reg. package would you go with?

Ryanh1801
12-05-2007, 01:28
Hey guys im a newly certified OW diver looking to get my own gear. Im pretty sure im gonna go with the zeagle Brigade. But not sure yet on the reg. ST has this package. Kickin Aeris & Zeagle Package (Brigade - Ranger/Escape Hybrid), BCDS: Men, Zeagle, Kickin Aeris & Zeagle Package (Brigade - Ranger/Escape Hybrid) (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RangerPack)

and then they have this Mares Regulator Package, Packages: Regulator, Mares, Mares Regulator Package (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mares_Regulator_Package)

Both come out to 999. I do like the fact that the Mares is metal and not plastic. i also like the fact I can get a wrist computer with that package. But just wondering what reg. package would you go with?

Thanks for any advice.

bubbletrubble
12-05-2007, 01:56
Joe and Larry are going to shoot me for saying this, but...
You may want to rent gear for a little while before you make a substantial scuba gear purchase...or at the very least dive the stuff you want to buy before actually purchasing it. All of the gear that you mentioned is solid, name brand stuff, but you may find yourself gravitating toward techie diving or DIR diving, which would necessitate going in a different direction with your gear purchases. After OW certification, I bought some affordable, used gear that served me well for many dives...then I upgraded to stuff that I never thought I would like (BP/W, higher-end regs, lights, etc.). If you have the patience to do this, I would highly recommend it. I think I saved a bunch of money doing this. That being said, I'm sure you could still recover a good bit of your initial investment by reselling the stuff you're talking about buying now. Good luck and dive safe.

bubbletrubble
12-05-2007, 02:04
I forgot to say that a wrist computer is a good choice. I actually prefer a wrist computer over a console since, in my opinion, it's more convenient to monitor descent/ascent rates on a right wrist computer with the left hand free to dump air via your LP hose. With a computer worn on your left wrist, you can accidentally trigger ascent alarms by moving your hand too quickly to dump air via the LP hose.

One more piece of advice is to get a wrist computer that is nitrox-capable. ScubaToys has at least one nitrox wrist computer on sale for under $200. That's really a steal in my opinion. Happy diving.

Ryanh1801
12-05-2007, 02:04
Joe and Larry are going to shoot me for saying this, but...
You may want to rent gear for a little while before you make a substantial scuba gear purchase...or at the very least dive the stuff you want to buy before actually purchasing it. All of the gear that you mentioned is solid, name brand stuff, but you may find yourself gravitating toward techie diving or DIR diving, which would necessitate going in a different direction with your gear purchases. After OW certification, I bought some affordable, used gear that served me well for many dives...then I upgraded to stuff that I never thought I would like (BP/W, higher-end regs, lights, etc.). If you have the patience to do this, I would highly recommend it. I think I saved a bunch of money doing this. That being said, I'm sure you could still recover a good bit of your initial investment by reselling the stuff you're talking about buying now. Good luck and dive safe.

Thanks for the advice. That is one thing I have considered. I am pretty sure I am gonna want to enter the world of Tech diving, but for right now 1500 is my limit for equipment. But for right now Im just looking for gear to get me in the water as much as possible. I really have no interest in renting gear.

Thanks again. :smiley20:

Ryanh1801
12-05-2007, 02:07
I forgot to say that a wrist computer is a good choice. I actually prefer a wrist computer over a console since, in my opinion, it's more convenient to monitor descent/ascent rates on a right wrist computer with the left hand free to dump air via your LP hose. With a computer worn on your left wrist, you can accidentally trigger ascent alarms by moving your hand too quickly to dump air via the LP hose.

One more piece of advice is to get a wrist computer that is nitrox-capable. ScubaToys has at least one nitrox wrist computer on sale for under $200. That's really a steal in my opinion. Happy diving.

Yeah Im defiantly gonna go with a nitrox computer. Planning on getting nitrox certified this next year. The second package I listed is the nitrox computer for 199.

Z-naught
12-05-2007, 05:01
I am pretty sure I am gonna want to enter the world of Tech diving, but for right now 1500 is my limit for equipment.If you're interested in learning advanced diving skills and doing some challenging dives (a simplified definition of "tech diving" I suppose), I would strongly recommend that you purchase a backplate/wing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backplate_and_wing) (BP/Wing) rig now and save yourself the money and disappointment over buying a jacket-style BC. Some people think that a BP/wing is only for "tech diving". Not so. A BP/wing is, in my opinion, simply the best kind of BC you can buy, for all types of diving, be it recreational, technical, commercial, or even rebreather diving. Also, a BP/wing rig can be quite affordable, equal in price to a high end jacket-type BC, e.g. $400~$500. You can also save allot of money if you buy a used rig ($200~$300). The many virtues of a BP/wing will directly benefit your diving, even if you're just a beginner. It will grow with you, as it's modular and very customizable. Do some research and some price comparisons. I think it likely that you'll find that a BP/wing within your budget. Agir-Brokk (http://www.agir-brokk.com/597a26c1-c854-49af-9ecc-a2feffda97ac-29.html), Hollis (http://hollisgear.com/Products/Buoyancy.aspx), Golem Gear (http://golemgear.com/), Deep Sea Supply (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs), as well many companies offer BP/wing systems. Check them out.

CODMAN
12-05-2007, 08:33
If I may add my 2 cents worth... I agree with the above posters. That's definetly not a TECH setup...:smiley29: And if you go TECH, you're going to have to change a lot of it (if not all of it). This said, that's great gear you've got there. Personally, I'm a Mares fan. I love their regs (simple and very easy breathing). I also like the M2 computer (have one). Definetly go for wrist mount. It does all it's supposed to do. Only thing I'd swap out (if you can) is the Octo, for a Proton octo. I've never liked the viper regs. Then again, it's only the OCTO. All it needs to do is give air till you reach the surface! It doesn't need to be a champion breather... Just a reliable breather.

If you went for the Mares package, another option would be to ask them to swap out the AbyssMR12 for an ABYSS MR22, which is used by a lot of TECH divers. It's known to be a bullet proof reg and has served many a record setting diver in the past. This would probably not cost you much and the reg would be good IF you choose to go TECH.

As I (and others) said before, if you go TECH, you're going to be replacing a lot of stuff. But I also understand a budget!:smiley20: And also, you are not really SURE about the TECH thing, are you? Need you spend more now just in case? That's up to you to decide...

Good luck choosing and hope this helped a bit!

comet24
12-05-2007, 08:45
I am a big fan of the Mares Abyss reg. Never had a problem with mine in the five year or so I have had it. Mine is the older version and with the MR22 1st BTW. Very good reg. I also use the Viper octo, mines the old Dacor name on it, when I don't dive with my AIRII.

Grin
12-05-2007, 08:46
It depends where your diving. If you are in warm or cold water and some other stuff from that point. I would get a Zeagle octo to start with. A Zeagle Envoy Deluxe primary and the cheapest zeagle backup they make is the one they make as a backup. Then get a Zeagle BC with the smallest bladder you need for where you dive and what size wetsuit you will be using and how much weight you will need to carry max(personally I would get a Backplate and wing and really do the right thing from the start). If you do something similar to this you will be very happy for many years. Remember, you don't want to wish you spent a little more next year to have gotten really nice stuff. Although we all seem to do it that way! Get some ideas together, and call the ST guys. They should ask you a few questions about where and what style diving, and how big you are etc... From that point they should be able to recomend changes to your ideas from that point.

Defman
12-05-2007, 08:46
I kinda hate to be of little use but either one would be a great purchase. Again of little use, I would buy the Mares package & add the Brigade if I were buying only because I have the MR22 Abyss and love it, I'm sure the MR12 is just as nice.

tarheeldiver
12-05-2007, 09:51
If you are thinking about going in to tech I would definitely wait a while to buy because you will be replacing what you buy now

Ryanh1801
12-05-2007, 10:24
Thanks for all the advise guys. When I said I would like to get into tech diving, im talking a few years down the road, and in all honesty if I can use this gear for a few years ill be happy.

RoadRacer1978
12-05-2007, 10:48
I am sure that everyone has had to upgrade items as they progresses in their diving. Either because of additional training and requirements, or just from experience and learing what works best for them. I did, just what you are planning. I set myself up with a complete set up knowing that sometime down the road I will probably be upgrading my gear. By getting a set up now it allows me to dive and gain the experience I need to be a safer diver and continue to gain the skills I need to further my dive training. The most important thing is to dive and if you do not want to rent gear I think either of your choices of set ups will serve that purpose. Good luck with you purchase and be sure to give us a full review once you get everything and get to test it out.

fireflock
12-05-2007, 11:40
I'm going to be in the minority and say don't look too far down the road at how you might be diving one day when buying your first set of gear.

If you get a nice solid set of gear that will last for your first 100 dives than you will get what you wanted out of your first set of gear.

If you try to buy everything you will need in case you move to something more advanced is a few years than you will likely find that your wants/needs have changed by the time you get there anyway.

Rich

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
12-05-2007, 12:17
I'm going to be in the minority and say don't look too far down the road at how you might be diving one day when buying your first set of gear.

If you get a nice solid set of gear that will last for your first 100 dives than you will get what you wanted out of your first set of gear.

If you try to buy everything you will need in case you move to something more advanced is a few years than you will likely find that your wants/needs have changed by the time you get there anyway.

Rich

I second this. Better to choose based on what you know you will be doing rather than what you might be doing years from now. IMO, too early to be thinking about tech diving until you've done a fair number of deeper NDL dives and find the recreational limits are keeping you from doing the dives you want to be doing.

ScubaJW
12-05-2007, 14:03
I agree with you, I hate renting gear that I don't know the history. I would go for Zeagle package, they have a strong reputation and seems to have a very good gear. I agree that those package are not "tech" type gear. It will be a lot more expensive, if you are talking about Poseidon, Scubapro, Apeks, and etc. Good luck purchasing new gears!

CaptainRon
12-05-2007, 14:14
I would suggest any good recreational package to get you in the water now. When budgeting, remember all the extras besides regs and BCD. You also have wet suits, tanks, save-a-dive kits, knifes, travel, etc. These other items will take up a good part of your budget. You may decide you enjoy recreational diving and never progress beyond that.

When I first got into diving, I too thought I would want to get do tech diving, but since I have been doing recreational diving for the last 28 years, I have decided this is what I enjoy and really never had a desire to go further. Even if you do get into tech diving in a few years, you will have gotten good use out of your gear in the mean time. If you take good care of what you get now, you can always get back some of the cost if you later sell your used gear when upgrading. Then again, if you buy all tech gear now and never go beyond just recreational diving, you will have spent much more than you needed to.

That being said, to me the best gear is the gear you use......Don't worry about having to have the latest and greatest.....if it meets your needs, that is all that matters.

Defman
12-05-2007, 14:25
As mentioned before, I would buy gear based on the diving I'm doing now. I don't know you and I don't want to offend you, I just remember how I was when I started.... Eye's all googlie with all kinds of plans for the future of my diving.

I still love diving but my plans for dive advancement are not what they were. I'm one test away from PADI & NASE Dive Master, and that's a test I won't ever take... I should get off my duff, get in better shape, and go for the NAUI Master Diver cert though....

Ryanh1801
12-05-2007, 21:03
Thanks for all the advice. I think yall have me convinced to go ahead with a BP/W setup. Anyways im hoping to have time to stop by tomorrow to see what they can do for me.
Gonna go with the trans pack harnesses with a aluminum back plate.
Also im assuming that with a BP/W setup I will need to go with a weight belt?
Course I guess ill see what I like best when I can go try stuff on.

Thanks again,for all the advise and input.

PS. Defman, Im harder than that to offend. :smiley2:, I know how it is with new hobbies and I am definitely bad about it.

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 22:16
I too would rent gear a few times. I did it for several years before getting my first setup. You just never know which way you are going to go and what you will end up liking or wanting.

CaptainRon
12-09-2007, 00:02
Anyways im hoping to have time to stop by tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

It's always best to actually see the gear first hand. Don't be surprised if you change you mind after seeing all the options. Be sure and let the folks at ST know you want their advise. They have no problem taking the time to really access you needs and help pick the right equipment for you.

Ryanh1801
12-09-2007, 03:05
Anyways im hoping to have time to stop by tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

It's always best to actually see the gear first hand. Don't be surprised if you change you mind after seeing all the options. Be sure and let the folks at ST know you want their advise. They have no problem taking the time to really access you needs and help pick the right equipment for you.

I ended up getting up their on thur. and got a BP/W setup and the mares reg package. I was amazed at how much better the reg breathed compared to the stuff I used in my OW class.

nlamere
12-09-2007, 08:23
It's probably a good thing to rent your gear for a little while: I maid the mystake of bying my gear even before i got certified... Take the time to try as many different system and talk about it with other divers.

The other thing is to try to plan ahead a bit: my first gear set was very basic because I tought I would not go further into diving... Now I want to buy some more sophisticated gear!

... About the computer, I actually prefer a console because I only dive in dry suit and I like to pull it down between the dives and I don't like to have my computer loose on the dive site or on a boat... Personnal choice though...

Hope it's help a little :smiley20:

Nick